New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 222893 times)

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #1110 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:45 AM »
Found a picture of the Ram 3500 being retrieved from the lake online this morning. I think the picture itself is a few days old now.

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1111 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:05 AM »
Who are the people that do that type of work?  Any idea of the cost?

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1112 on: Feb 06, 2019, 12:39 PM »
Reads like a false alarm, but to me was a good reminder to be careful and spud spud spud these next couple days

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Rescue-teams-search-Saratoga-Lake-13594359.php

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1113 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:13 PM »
Heading out there tomorrow after work can I park on fitch rd and also if that would be a good walleye spot

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1114 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:49 AM »
Heading out there tomorrow after work can I park on fitch rd and also if that would be a good walleye spot
You can park on fitch. Parking area is not even 1/4 mile on left once you pull on fitch. You will see small pull off marks on side rd. Dont park in front of no parking signs. Try to get vehichle off Rd as much as possible but I do try to leave one tire on the Rd just so don't get stuck. If want walleyes you will have to walk out further to deeper water towards middle or edge of drop offs.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1115 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:12 AM »
Here's a thought Make it illegal to bring car's and truck's on any frozen lake. Get caught get heavy fine or jail time.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1116 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Here's a thought Make it illegal to bring car's and truck's on any frozen lake. Get caught get heavy fine or jail time.
That wouldn't make any sense. Some lakes get plenty frozen for cars and trucks. Heck some lakes become small villages in winter. Should be same as some other rules. Do it at your own risk. Leave it at that. But to ban vehichles would be Overkill for sure.

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #1117 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:06 AM »

Jail time!!???  really??  I say we ban all bans!!!

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1118 on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Jail time!!???  really??  I say we ban all bans!!!
Can you imagine that conversation in the jail cell?
 What you in here for? Murder
What are you in for? Drug trafficing
What about you? What are you in for? I drove a truck on the ice. Lol lol.

Offline Ricej678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1119 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:31 PM »
New to fishing Saratoga, wondering if anyone had areas to access with good ice. Weather hasn’t been cooperating recently.... Thanks!

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1120 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:22 PM »
New to fishing Saratoga, wondering if anyone had areas to access with good ice. Weather hasn’t been cooperating recently.... Thanks!

I was out on 'Toga yesterday until the wind got to be too much. Measured 2-2.5ft of ice, depending on where we were. We park on Fitch Rd., north end of the lake, a little south of Stewarts. Make sure you observe the no parking signs and keep your tires OFF the pavement. Otherwise you will get a ticket. Had one hit & run flag, one bite off. The guys about 50 yards away caught some perch and walleyes. The edges were solid but just a little rough from melt & refreeze, but perfectly safe. Watch for traffic when crossing from Fitch to the lake. Traffic can be busy at times.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1121 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:40 PM »
I was out on 'Toga yesterday until the wind got to be too much. Measured 2-2.5ft of ice, depending on where we were. We park on Fitch Rd., north end of the lake, a little south of Stewarts. Make sure you observe the no parking signs and keep your tires OFF the pavement. Otherwise you will get a ticket. Had one hit & run flag, one bite off. The guys about 50 yards away caught some perch and walleyes. The edges were solid but just a little rough from melt & refreeze, but perfectly safe. Watch for traffic when crossing from Fitch to the lake. Traffic can be busy at times.

I know it was a big issue a couple weeks ago but with 24-30 inches of ice as you just posted why would you have to worry about parking on Fitch rd and not just drive out on the lake itself?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1122 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:41 PM »
As much ice as you might think that is out there, Saratoga is NOT a safe lake during any ice conditions. That lake has so many springs In it, that would would never know it until your truck front end drops down. It’s a small lake. Walking doesn’t hurt.

Offline fisherbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1123 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:42 AM »
South Western side of the lake and was only drillin 6"-10" on Sunday afternoon.... shoreline was sketchy but we made it on with some help of the good ole spud.  snow cover will make it hard to tell where thick ice goes to not so thick ice...be careful...

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1124 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:21 AM »

Three reasons: 1) As I said, it was rough at the edges. 2) I didn't know how thick the ice was until I got out to my spot and drilled some holes. 3) It was mostly glare ice. Poor traction to get back off the ice. I've seen many a car get stuck there. Towing is expensive.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1125 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:21 AM »
You measured 24-30" ice of fitch??? We were there twice last week and was about  10"-12". Not sure how it made 18" ice in a week since it was well above freezing last week. Odd

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1126 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:36 AM »
As much ice as you might think that is out there, Saratoga is NOT a safe lake during any ice conditions. That lake has so many springs In it, that would would never know it until your truck front end drops down. It’s a small lake. Walking doesn’t hurt.

Agreed... even after fishing this lake my entire life and knowing where many of the spring holes are I wouldn't drive out there.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1127 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:46 PM »
Agreed... even after fishing this lake my entire life and knowing where many of the spring holes are I wouldn't drive out there.

Yep.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1128 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:09 PM »
You measured 24-30" ice of fitch??? We were there twice last week and was about  10"-12". Not sure how it made 18" ice in a week since it was well above freezing last week. Odd

We were about 3/4 of the way to Snake Hill. It was an exact measurement. I don't know what to tell you.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1129 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:38 PM »
The only way you measured that much ice on Saratoga is if you were drilling on the piled up ice ridge that the wind broke up and then froze again before the lake locked up solid, and you happened to be cutting through chunks of ice layered on top of each other...

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1130 on: Feb 14, 2019, 04:41 PM »
The only way you measured that much ice on Saratoga is if you were drilling on the piled up ice ridge that the wind broke up and then froze again before the lake locked up solid, and you happened to be cutting through chunks of ice layered on top of each other...

NOPE! Flat  ice.

Offline lgdiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1131 on: Feb 16, 2019, 02:31 PM »
Anyone know where I could park and access the lake by ATV or Snowmobile?

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1132 on: Feb 16, 2019, 04:09 PM »
Restaurant on south end used o let you park and access for a fee.Well worth it for no hassles,dont know if they still do it or not

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1133 on: Feb 16, 2019, 04:26 PM »
Restaurant on south end used o let you park and access for a fee.Well worth it for no hassles,dont know if they still do it or not
That's Nostalgia, which most locals still call DiDonna's. Right at the bottom of the hill as you come down Plains Road.

Offline lgdiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1134 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:47 PM »
Thank you! I just called the restaurant and they told me if I park out of the way, no charge. Thanks for your help!!

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1135 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:40 PM »
Anyone parking on the shoreline across from fitch rd? Curious of the snow depth or if the ice at the shore is solid enough for trucks to park instead of on Fitch itself.

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1136 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:22 AM »
You might get on, but I doubt you'll get off - fished yesterday afternoon and edges are punky - once out 15-20 yds, solid ice - good bite on gills

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1137 on: Feb 19, 2019, 05:36 PM »
Anyone know how the shorelines are? I’m looking to take the Atv out on the south end

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1138 on: Feb 26, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Can you park on Fitch rd to access the lake? Bunch of no parking signs

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1139 on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Can you park on Fitch rd to access the lake? Bunch of no parking signs
Yes. Park between telephone poles off the Rd on the left side. Drive past the no parking signs. You can see where people have pulled off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.