New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 222911 times)

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #1080 on: Jan 30, 2019, 11:34 AM »
Sure it does if you have comprehensive on it.  They won't pay for recovery but the total loss from water damage is covered.
Here comes the vehicle in the water insurance quotes.
Wasn't that a Lake George thread a few years back that got going good when a few went in the water after parking on the ice? Insurance covered them and no DEC fines as long as they got them out or something like that.
Buddy lost a 24' go fast on Oneida one summer not too long ago and never found it. DEC required him to hire a recovery person to look for it but once he complied insurance paid him and not one fine for leaving a boat sunk. Went down so fast he didn't have time to get his wallet out of the glovebox. Sheriffs pulled him and another guy out of the drink but wouldn't hook onto the bow eye sticking out of the water. Went down in the channel at sundown and was nowhere to be found next morning.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #1081 on: Jan 30, 2019, 11:48 AM »
Here comes the vehicle in the water insurance quotes.

There is so much MIS-information about insurance coverage on fishing and hunting forums it drives me nuts sometimes and I can't help but to correct people.  Insurance is my game and what I've done everyday for the last 25 years besides hunting and fishing.  Vehicles/snowmobiles/atvs with comprehensive coverage are covered for water damage whether sunken or lost in a flood.  Being a dummy and breaking through the ice with it has absolutely nothing to do with it being a covered loss the same as burning your house down while grilling on your porch or dropping a tree on your house. 

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1082 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:31 PM »
There is so much MIS-information about insurance coverage on fishing and hunting forums it drives me nuts sometimes and I can't help but to correct people.  Insurance is my game and what I've done everyday for the last 25 years besides hunting and fishing.  Vehicles/snowmobiles/atvs with comprehensive coverage are covered for water damage whether sunken or lost in a flood.  Being a dummy and breaking through the ice with it has absolutely nothing to do with it being a covered loss the same as burning your house down while grilling on your porch or dropping a tree on your house.

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Big Tupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1083 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:42 PM »
Slip Bob thanks that is great info, insurance can be complicated for sure, you have just crowned yourself the expert, your in trouble now if we have any questions. I wish I can get insurance on my fishing buddies borrowing fishing stuff from my garage and not returning it !!!!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1084 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:44 PM »

You mean, there isn't a "bieng a dummy" rider?

Thanks for the clarification, although i still don't have any interest in breaking through the ice with my vehicle anytime soon

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1085 on: Jan 31, 2019, 11:12 AM »
Anyone taking machines across the lake around snake hill or other deeper water areas?

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1086 on: Jan 31, 2019, 11:47 AM »
Thanks for the info slip bob. That’s exactly why I drive my $3000 atv on the ice and not my $70,000 truck lol. While on the insurance topic what about backing a boat in and the truck goes in with it?  Would that be covered or is that the same as falling through the ice ?

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1087 on: Jan 31, 2019, 03:55 PM »
Thanks for the info slip bob. That’s exactly why I drive my $3000 atv on the ice and not my $70,000 truck lol. While on the insurance topic what about backing a boat in and the truck goes in with it?  Would that be covered or is that the same as falling through the ice ?

That's also why I don't drive my truck on the ice any longer.  My 2000 Polaris Sporstman is an easier pill to swallow than my Sierra if it went down :)  If you sunk your truck while backing a boat in and you had comprehensive on the truck it would be covered and a submerged vehicle will be a total loss.  We just had one in September where my customer's pickup ended up in the Hudson up to the hood and he luckily had comp. so it was covered for the value of the truck less his deductible and we also include the tow/recovery charges in with the physical damage payout since it was just a winch out and flat bed trip to the tow yard. 

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1088 on: Jan 31, 2019, 03:56 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

You're welcome.  You have probably driven past my office many times and not even known it. 

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1089 on: Jan 31, 2019, 03:59 PM »
Slip Bob thanks that is great info, insurance can be complicated for sure, you have just crowned yourself the expert, your in trouble now if we have any questions. I wish I can get insurance on my fishing buddies borrowing fishing stuff from my garage and not returning it !!!!

Insurance can seem complicated but it's nice to work with people who also hunt and fish and can relate.  Hopefully your buddies are at least using your stuff and taking care of it. 

Offline Filthyfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1090 on: Jan 31, 2019, 05:27 PM »
 Coming to Saratoga tomorrow, any idea how thick the ice is?

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1091 on: Jan 31, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Almost thick enough for an F150, but definitely not a Ram 3500...

Coming to Saratoga tomorrow, any idea how thick the ice is?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1092 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:02 PM »
You're welcome.  You have probably driven past my office many times and not even known it.

Where is your office?

Offline Brucebob7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1093 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:24 PM »
Nice

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1094 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:07 PM »
Almost thick enough for an F150, but definitely not a Ram 3500...

Bahaha! Just laughed out loud after reading that...

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1095 on: Feb 01, 2019, 05:53 AM »
Isn't Rule #1 for ice fishing; If you go in with a small truck, go get a bigger one. Glad everyone is OK...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #1096 on: Feb 01, 2019, 08:11 AM »
Heading up in the morning.....how much snow is on the lake? 

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #1097 on: Feb 01, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Last question then hopefully my next post will be pictures!  LOL

The only special regs on Saratoga are 15 sunfish?  Walleye & Perch are standard state regs?

SeanP

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1098 on: Feb 01, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Heading up in the morning.....how much snow is on the lake?
Dragging a sled isn't horrible but not fun. There are some snow drifts that are no deeper than lower shin in those drifts. Most snow is couple inches if that in most spots. Fishing was pretty good today. One of the better days for me on toga.

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #1099 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:35 PM »
Thanks for the intell!! I will report my successes of lack of!   

Sean P

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1100 on: Feb 02, 2019, 11:22 AM »
Article in the Gazette today about the truck that sank on Sunday.
https://dailygazette.com/article/2019/02/01/dec-monitoring-truck-in-saratoga-lake

Offline parentlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1101 on: Feb 02, 2019, 03:27 PM »
Caught three walleyes on Sunday , Monday night bite terrible . 6 inches of ice!

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1102 on: Feb 02, 2019, 03:35 PM »
Nice parentlake. That’s what it’s all about right there

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1103 on: Feb 02, 2019, 06:47 PM »
Drilled a consistent 10-11 inches of ice today. Watched a skidsteer try to drive out and plow off a spot to skate but the back end sunk in, luckily only 2-3 ft deep in that spot and the tow truck was able to chain it out.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1104 on: Feb 02, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Drilled a consistent 10-11 inches of ice today. Watched a skidsteer try to drive out and plow off a spot to skate but the back end sunk in, luckily only 2-3 ft deep in that spot and the tow truck was able to chain it out.

Seems like people don’t want to learn this season.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1105 on: Feb 02, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Talked to a DEC Officer today and he stated that " all motorized vehicles are not allowed on the lake at this time ". If some Genius decides  "whatever ", it's his butt.........
      Kim :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1106 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:22 PM »
How’s fish creek looking want to take my son out there but haven’t checked on it this year

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #1107 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Had a great day with my son!  He need a break from the dorms and I need a reason for a road trip!!  First time on the lake but thanks to all that gave me some intel I appreciate it!!!

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1108 on: Feb 05, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Fished off Fitch. Good morning bite w usual suspects. Snow is just about gone off ice. Puddles and some slush but easy dragging.
Reminder:
If parking on Fitch rd park in between the power poles off the road facing w traffic. One truck decided to  park right in front of 3 NO PARKING signs facing on coming traffic. If going to walk halfway across lake I'm sure extra 50' to park legally isn't the make or break.

Offline Swinginhammers_and_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1109 on: Feb 05, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Good advice-glad you got on some fish.

I’m heading there in the morning.  Going to try and target some perch. Any tips? 
I was thinking either state launch or that park near the mouth of the lake and sticking near Weed beds possibly up fish creek even.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.