Author Topic: Tip up line  (Read 3688 times)

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
Tip up line
« on: Dec 30, 2018, 04:58 PM »
What is your choice of line for tip ups? Tried I few different types nothing that works as well as I would hope.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Tip up line
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2018, 05:14 PM »
I think I  got that HT  tip up line  any  braided  line  works  I like the  old  black Dacron 

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2018, 05:40 PM »
Try Fish307 https://www.fish307.com/fish307-com-tip-up-line-36-lb-test-1000-yard-spools/. I'd tried several types, a buddy turned me onto it, and it's treated me well.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2018, 05:54 PM »
I always used and still do use the black braided line in 30 pound test.  I've been ice fishing since 1996 and only changed this line one since it's been on my tip-ups just because and never had any issues with it.I don't like the vinyl coated stuff because it tends to kink and get a memory.  Lots of different companies make the braided line such as Mason and HT to name two so it's pretty easy to get a decent price for it.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2018, 06:12 PM »
I use the mason tipup line. I have it on there since I'm 10yrs old and I'm 48 now. Never changed it. I have my dads tipups that the line is on the since the 60s. And i have caught big large mouths and walleyes still on these. I change the leader every year.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Sufix metered
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2019, 01:09 PM »

My 2-cents and recommendation for tip-up line is #1 Woodstock #2 Woodstock and #3 Woodstock  :)
They offer many different pound test and colors as well as spool sizes from 50 yards to 1000 yards

"Woodstock™ Tip-Up Line
 Woodstock makes some of the toughest, yet most subtle tip-up line around. Its unique round configuration and tightly braided nylon make the line exceptionally strong and manageable. The line is subjected to a
 three-step heat-set and waterproofing process that reduces stretch and freeze-up. You won’t find a tip-up line that performs better, is more durable or has more hook-setting power. Made in USA."

I'm sure there are other tip-up lines that also work great, but Woodstock is my all-time personal favorite.

Good Luck all  :tipup:

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2019, 01:59 PM »
30 Lb Woodstock tip up line is all I have used for the last 25 years. You can get about any color and the hi vis stuff helps see if the line is pulled off to the side.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:19 PM »
Tip ups get spooled with my used line off of my muskie reels. Why throw it away when there’s a use for it?

Offline WYcoyote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:57 AM »
20 lb test nylon black braided line, 12 lb test fluorocarbon leader. ball bearing swivel connecting them.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Dacron with mono leaders. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:38 AM »
My preference for a main tippy line has always been Dacron. Much of that preference resulted from being able to repurpose my musky reel line and utilize the still fresh part for ice fishing. Additionally, I had stuff from both Grand-Dads that was spooled with nylon and know, that over time, it can dry rot. It's also extremely stretchy as opposed to Dacron.

Yesterday afternoon I was in the shop doing maintenance and mods on a box of Polars I'd acquired. Shaft cleaning and re-lube, add line guide snubber, spool retainer, depth bead and new line. Some of the spools had some black braided line on that looked to be in decent shape and I assumed Dacron. Now I've got around 2,500 yards of 30# Dacron on a spool but some of the project spools were so short I thought I'd just tie on new and wind from there using the original line as "backing". Not often I get very far into a 200 ft. spool.The lines were spliced together with back to back Unis and pulled it tight. Imagine my surprise when I felt a significant amount of stretch between my hands. On repeated pulling, you could see it was the original line (now identified as nylon) stretching while the Dacron side did not appear to move at all. I clipped the splice, stripped the old line and filled with Dacron.

There's Dacron on some of my rigs that has been there for over 20 years and they can be confidently fished maybe another 20 unless there's some kind of physical damage to the line itself. I like that.

To the OP: Exactly what kind of performance are you hoping for?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:04 PM »
I am also a fan of Woodstock tip up line. I use 30lb. on my pike tip ups, 15 on my lighter ones for walleye. I also use the 15lb. Woodstock as backing on my tipdown rods because it is easier to handle and more durable than using straight mono. I have switched to red line and find it awesome for seeing in the hole to tell which way a fish is running. Also the red shows up great on the ice helping avoid getting caught up in it when fighting a fish. Never found the red to be a deterrent to the fish as well.  The red disappears quickly in the water column but very visible to you fishing up top. Just my 2 cents but good luck.
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.