Author Topic: Wigglers Any one catching there own?  (Read 6921 times)

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wigglers Any one catching there own?
« on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:01 AM »
Like the title says, any of you guys catch your own for bait? Can't buy them up here and no one uses them. I have googled the subject and this is the best article I found

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015013597896;view=1up;seq=36;skin=mobile

Lots of good info in it. Just wondering what methods you use and what areas of the lakes you collect from. Would love to see some pics if you got any.

Tight lines

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wigglers Any one catching there own?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Nobody ??????

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2015, 02:31 AM »
Like the title says, any of you guys catch your own for bait? Can't buy them up here and no one uses them. I have googled the subject and this is the best article I found

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015013597896;view=1up;seq=36;skin=mobile

Lots of good info in it. Just wondering what methods you use and what areas of the lakes you collect from. Would love to see some pics if you got any.

Tight lines

Funny thing, I went out a week ago to try to catch some because nobody had them for sale yet.. Around here we have so many mayflies that during the June hatch they show up as rain on the local weather radar... I tried to find info on how to catch some and couldn't find much.. The article you posted is AWESOME! I learned a lot from it... Last week I tried scooping mud at the shoreline and did not find any... I heard the reason you cant buy them during early ice is because you cant walk in the mud they are found. The collectors have to wait till the ice is thick enough, and then they cut a hole and scoop the mud while standing on the ice... I just paid $3.75 for exactly 12 of them, my search for a good hunting spot has just begun, and the article you posted helps a lot! Thanks for posting that. Wigglers are my secret weapon and at nearly $4 I feel a$$ raped...

Good luck on your quest!!

<*)))>{

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:44 AM »
I think it's illegal in some states. 
Chris Raymond

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Haven't yet but I think I'm going to (thanks for the idea!), stream ecology background helps a lot, if you have an open creek by you that is pretty clean (low pollution).  You can find similar organisms that will work well to.  Scuds, leeches, stonefly larvae, caddis fly larvae (just have to take them out of the cases).  Just get yourself a kicknet (or make one) or a big aquarium net will work too, kick with your feet with the net behind you.

Check your local laws!

We have pteronarcys out here (WA, ID) which are a giant stonefly larvae, I'm thinking about getting some of those bad boys.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:31 AM »

We have pteronarcys out here which are a giant stonefly larvae, I'm thinking about getting some of those bad boys.
(Image removed from quote.)

Three dozen please!!!

<*)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:25 PM »
Bump...

<°)))>{

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2016, 07:18 PM »
When I was a kid, my dad and I used to catch wigglers in the summer.  We would seine them in a couple of small marsh potholes, during the summer.  They were killer panfish bait during the soft water season...

Offline Paul of Hbg.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2017, 04:49 PM »
Mayfly larva of differing sizes may be found year round in flowing cold water (trout) streams as well as many other streams. To locate the ones shown here you may have to find inside bends where currents are slow (mud). Others may be seined in rocky areas or gravel beds, but will likely be of smaller types of mayfly. I'm sure they would all make good bait for bluegills.
A man convinced against his will.....
is of the same opinion still.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.