Author Topic: opinions and suggestions for crazy experiment  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Bobby T.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishaholic
opinions and suggestions for crazy experiment
« on: Feb 26, 2007, 05:20 PM »
I have done a little research and found nothing.So at my best guess ,the "evening secret" is either a glow stick or a black light.  with this in mind a buddy and I are going to drill a circle of holes for our tip downs and in the middle, a hole with a coleman glow stick suspended, starting about 6" off the bottom. We are thinking that it is some type of light that attracts swarms of zooplankton{daphnia & copepods}which in-turn atrract panfish.Will check local regs for use of artificial lights......ect        Am I crazy!?   What do you think? ???
Why be a couch potato..When you can be an ice spud.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re: opinions and suggestions for crazy experiment
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2007, 05:59 PM »
the evening secret is a 4 ft. long green fluorescent light bulb encased in a waterproof plastic tube. fished with one and they do work. save your money on the glowsticks. you need mega lite to duplicate the same results.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2007, 07:24 PM »
we sometimes will cut a small circle of holes  i mean very small and set a lantern with foil directing the light down in a hole in the center  not extrememly bright but at all the holes in the circle you can see the glow from the lantern under the ice  seems to work

Offline artycat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2007, 02:09 AM »
Do a search for fishing lights etc.........I bought one of the lights from there for 30 bucks, works really well. I've used it the last few times I've gone out, and it's kept perch biting 2 hours after dark!!! and that never happens!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2007, 03:56 AM »
I don't know about panfish, but it does work for trout.  I take a 10" auger, drill down to "almost" hitting water, clean all the shavings out of the hole, stick a crappie light (12V car light with Styrofoam attached) down the hole and hook it up to my deep cell battery.  Lasts 2 nights and will light up a 25 yard circle around your fishing area!!!  You should offset the light, so the fish are not blinded by the light. 8)  I see aquatic insects not seen in the daylight hours, which attracts the trout and even pike.  Check your regs!!!  Most states are not lenient on night fishing like Alaska, but when you have 20 hours of darkness, you must overcome the boredom! :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2007, 04:07 AM »
I have considered trying this myself. I have one of those " el cheapo" green tube lights that I bought a year or so ago and have yet to try it.  I thought I would drill a hole, put the light down, and drill some holes in a circular pattern around it. When things calm down....I would start jigging the holes around the light and see what happens.....WK ???
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2007, 03:40 PM »
I have done a little research and found nothing.So at my best guess ,the "evening secret" is either a glow stick or a black light.  with this in mind a buddy and I are going to drill a circle of holes for our tip downs and in the middle, a hole with a coleman glow stick suspended, starting about 6" off the bottom. We are thinking that it is some type of light that attracts swarms of zooplankton{daphnia & copepods}which in-turn atrract panfish.Will check local regs for use of artificial lights......ect        Am I crazy!?   What do you think? ???
Glow sticks do not generate enough light to attract zooplankton. I have used the green light same as HIMO but the one I got was from Cabelas was the 18” Optronics Submersible Neon Green Fish Light, costs about 30 bucks and I use it in the summer as well. I suspend the light 2 feet below the ice and then drill all my holes around the furthest spot “I can see the light”.  After an hour you should see zooplankton and minnows swimming around the light. The larger fish hang around in the shadows taking swipes at the minnows. In the summer you will hear them feeding right at the edge of the darkness, pretty cool. :thumbsup:
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:08 PM »
to clarify. I used THE EVENING SECRET. it does work but very pricey.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2007, 05:44 PM »
Do any states ban a Coleman lantern on the ice?  Its surprising how much light goes thru the ice. I have seen pics of ice divers that you can see the shadows of the people topside in pretty thick ice (and a lot of light coming down durning the day. Of course snow would greatly stop it but would the ice police get you if you shoveled a say,..a place to stand and do stuff AND have a lantern going?
wondering if you put same on a green mylar sheet would give you the green effect?

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2007, 02:29 AM »
Do any states ban a Coleman lantern on the ice?  ...... but would the ice police get you if you shoveled a say,..a place to stand and do stuff AND have a lantern going?

What kind of a Communist State would do that? What would be next....no flashlights?....WK ??? ???
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline ULTRAlite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2007, 02:41 AM »
Never had a problem with this before, but according to our regs, it might be a touchy subject here in Alberta...

It Is Unlawful To:
Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling.
http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/fishingregs/
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/cory_r_t/ablogo1xf11-1.gif[/img]     

VIDEO >> The 2010 Season Begins - EARLY ICE SESSION

Offline artycat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2007, 03:15 AM »
You wanna know what kinda commi state would do that? MINNESOTA. They are the most commi state there is, along with California!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.