Author Topic: shades  (Read 9654 times)

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
shades
« on: Jan 02, 2004, 10:35 PM »
Avoid headaches and snowblindness Don't forget your sunglasses on those BRIGHT sunny days.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
Re: shades
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2004, 08:45 AM »
Dido on the shades. We all wear them in our boats but some times don't when ice fishing, the sun is brighter reflecting off the ice and snow.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2004, 01:31 PM »
I agree. why risk a bad headache the shades will save you a ton of problems.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2004, 06:17 PM »
Don't go without them, even on a cloudy day!!!  The UV rays are still out.  A friend has damaged his eyes quite seriously, having laughed at me when I wore mine.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2004, 09:07 AM »
Don't go without them, even on a cloudy day!!!  The UV rays are still out.  A friend has damaged his eyes quite seriously, having laughed at me when I wore mine.
yesy yes headaches are terrible,but serious eye damage is a very real threat to all of us!! wear your shades everyday 8) i work outside everyday and have 90% of my fun outside!! and when i lose them or forget them . i stop and get another pair.thing is i think wearing them all the time has made my eyes sensitive to the light :-\ i need them all the time now

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2004, 06:03 PM »
I have to agree with everyone here, Sunglasses are a must if you plan on spending any time out on the ice.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2004, 12:52 PM »
I'm going to start wearing them this year, I'm definitely tired of all of the headaches I get icefishing if it is sunny.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2004, 03:50 PM »
At your altitude, Icefishingbear, the UV is even more intense!  Wear the shades, you don't need cataracts when you're 60. :(
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2004, 02:26 PM »
Shades are a must for any type of outdoor activity.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2004, 10:24 PM »
Thanks for the thread guys. Shades are a must ! I wear them almost every day. Ice fishing for sure,cold temps,wind , sun. Gotta use `em

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2004, 03:33 PM »
Sunglasses are just like my tilts and license, never leave the house with out them when going ice fishing.

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2004, 11:37 PM »
i wear my shades more during the winter than i do in the summer! i got arch-eye from welding years ago when i worked for the highway department. i used to make rebar forms for drain holes and such! did alot of quick jobs like a fool without throwing on the welders mask! so in the winter, the sun reflection of the ice and snow is even worse for me than dealing with the sun in the summer time!

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2004, 04:58 AM »
Must Have. Not only good for sight and blocking harmful uv rays but also helps block the elements also. Make sure they block both types of rays being UVA & UVB and you should be good to go. 

Basshuntah

« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2005, 02:48 PM »
I can't even go outside without my shades, even on a cloudy day. the ice reflects so much light it's almost painful to not have some relief. ;D ;D

Offline missionfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2005, 07:11 PM »
Avoid headaches and snowblindness Don't forget your sunglasses on those BRIGHT sunny days.

Wal-mart (as much as I hate to support big business) has a good selection in the fishing section that blocks the rays and covers the eyes great - especially around the sides of your face.  They sell for $8-10 and are well worth it.  Trust me - I'm a 35 year old with crows feet as bad as my grandfather from not wearing sunglasses on the water the last 10 years. 

Keep your lines tight and keep our lakes clean!
...a bad day of fishin' is still better then a good day at work!

Offline WartHog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2005, 12:00 PM »
...and don't forget the sunblock!

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2005, 03:54 PM »
Sunblock and 2 pairs of shades never leave home without um.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2005, 04:53 PM »
I also have wore sunglass on the water and ice so long it is hard to be out on any non-cloudy day with some sort of protection. I have even gone to wearing amber colored glasses,these work AWESOME in the woods too,makes everything clearer,more light penatration with out the squint..LOVE`EM!!!!!

Offline Colorado_Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • :-)Reader Beware(-:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2006, 04:05 PM »
Don't forget about UV-C too. UV-C is the part from the UV spectrum with the shortest wavelength.

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." ~Paul Schullery

crowkiller

« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2006, 12:39 PM »

i hear that ::)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2006, 01:53 PM »
I have been getting headaches my last few outings, I never even though it was due to not wearing my shades..I though it was dehydration or somthing. I have a bad habbit when im fishing solo of not eating or drinking  anything during my 5-8 hour outings...But it may be the shades

Offline Thestanimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Learn How to Work Kid"
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2006, 03:40 PM »
I don't go anywear without my oakleys, but I'm switching to ocean waves when the open water season begins
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2006, 10:05 AM »
Thanx Mac, I wear perscription glasses as well. I did Buy a pair of sunglasses last year that were perscription as well. The only thing I am not happy about is that they are not the wrap around kind, to keep the glare/sun from coming thru the sides. I have been looking at some at the BPS that go over your normal glasses and do have the wrap around effect..Anyone try them?

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2006, 11:12 AM »
I found a pair of neoprene (sp) side shields that slip over the temples of your glasses. Blocks out all side light. They work great. Got them at Orvis but I do not see them in the catalog. Did a look on e-bay and they had a few diffrent kinds.

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #24 on: Sep 24, 2006, 07:03 PM »
i got lucky and can wear them all the time now. got my new glasses with insurance from work. they don't pay for photogrey lenses, but the company sent them by mistake. the lady asked if i wanted to send them back, but it was their mistake and i could keep them if i wanted, no charge.
 like oakorchard,i welded for 20 years and my eyes sure aren't what they used to be. now i don't have to worry about forgetting my shades.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #25 on: Sep 26, 2006, 09:46 AM »
Sunglasses are just like my tilts and license, never leave the house with out them when going ice fishing.

Tilts????  And sometimes, I stll have a bad headache when i get home, even though Im wearing sunglasses....could be all the cheap beer my dad buys though..... ;)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Sep 26, 2006, 06:01 PM »
Mac is 100% right about polarization!!!!

I have a medical condition that has caused my eyes to become light sensitive. Cheap sunglasses do no good, but the polarized ones are the ticket. Even if the cheapies are darker tinted, they still don't ease my discomfort like the polarized shades. 8)

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 26, 2006, 09:24 PM »
Mac is 100% right about polarization!!!!

I have a medical condition that has caused my eyes to become light sensitive. Cheap sunglasses do no good, but the polarized ones are the ticket. Even if the cheapies are darker tinted, they still don't ease my discomfort like the polarized shades. 8)

jebus, we have alot in common, the bad circulation from smoking and now the eyes :D
i have the same problem, i get blurry and bvlotchy in the sun and have a hell of a time driving at night when i have a car coming at me, i cant really concentrate on the road, i look at the white line to the right until the car passes :tipup: but man, i have perfect night vision, i see like a cat in the dark :tipup:

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #28 on: Sep 27, 2006, 07:20 AM »
Tony Dean used to recommend a wrap aound clip on for prescription glasses and I had a pair of them for a couple of years. They weren't sexy by no means but they worked real nice.  Can't find them anymore so I just opted for some clip-ons at Walmart and I wear them every time I go out on the ice.  They dont have the side wash sides but work well enough to reduce the glare.
Tim Rogers

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #29 on: Sep 27, 2006, 11:58 AM »
I use a pair of darker tinted impact resistant safety glasses that can be found at most chainsaw shops.  The orange tinted Stihl's make good motorcycling glasses, too  :).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.