Author Topic: floatation suits?  (Read 13926 times)

Buddy

floatation suits?
« on: Dec 12, 2002, 05:23 AM »
I've had a float suit for two years now and it's stiff and hard to move in.  Do these suits loosen up after wear or do they stay stiff?  Thanks in advance.

Northern_Manitoban

Re: floatation suits?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2002, 11:30 AM »
I have had my suit for 3 years now and it was stiff for the first year or so but not bad at all now,but i use mine alot.

Offline icedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2003, 06:04 AM »
where can i get one of these suits

RSQCAL

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2003, 07:01 AM »
Both Stern's and Mustang Survival offer these suits in various types. Read the flotaion suit thread under the dressing for ice fishing forum, I've listed some approx. prices.  ;)

Offline icedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2003, 11:28 AM »
thanks RSQCAL

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2003, 03:21 AM »
It all depends on the weather -- if its extremely cold -- my mustang is like wearing a bullet proof jacket -- but if its warmer it loosens up. Over time the foam will fatigue causing it to feel softer and easier to move in. Either way it will save your life if you go in.
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

shackbitch

« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2003, 08:55 PM »
I've bought my mustang survival suit this year and i have had no problems with it being stiff.  The suits that they make nowadays are a lot thinner, warmer, and comfortable then they were just a few years ago.  I have the ice rider suit.  came to about $550 CAD but it is well worth it.

Butthead

Re:floatation suits?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:45 PM »
Just ordered a Mustang one piece suit.  I feel safer knowing it is on its way.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Re:floatation suits?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2003, 09:45 PM »
I just got my Mustang bomber jacket, brightest yellow I have ever seen!
FTD

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2004, 11:48 AM »
I agree with Emptyhanded...  My Mustang suit only loosens up above freezing and is a pain in the arse below 30....  Great on the big waters, and wouldn't live without it!
TEAM ALASKA

ktm300

« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2004, 08:33 PM »
I bought a new full floation suit at machovec.com for 200 bucks, it's roomy and does'nt seem stiff at all, I think they have mustang too but ther alot more $$. 

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2004, 06:17 PM »
I talked with Mustang's customer service about two weeks ago regarding their suits. They explained that the older suits had a much stiffer, almost plastic like foam. The new suits have... I believe they said... swiss foam which is less stiff and affords more mobility. They also recommended the snowmobile suits for ice fishing stating they have the most mobility. I ordered the IRX jacket and standard bibs thru machovec also .... should arrive anyday now. Expensive yes .... but all it takes is one time.
Those who are brave are free ..

Butthead

« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2004, 06:47 PM »
I used my Mustang for the entire 2003-2004 winter and absolutely loved it.  It blocks out the wind, is very warm and comfortable.  I sometimes walk a mile out to some spots and I never got cold in it.  I'm surprised that more people in Minnesota don't buy them. 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2004, 07:13 PM »
I'm on my 3rd year with my Mustang....I love it :thumbsup:

Very high quality products.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2004, 08:22 PM »
Ditto for me. 3yrs old Mustang and I wear it on my water outings all year.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2004, 08:55 PM »
My mustang is seven years old and still nice and comfy. hey how long can they be trusted for floating?
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2004, 09:17 PM »
I just purchased a Sterns I570 flotation suit for $185.  Has anyone had any experiance with this model?

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2004, 10:14 AM »
My mustang is seven years old and still nice and comfy. hey how long can they be trusted for floating?
I've had two of them for 15 years of hard use up in AK and they are still in good working shape.  I think as long as you don't ruin the foam with gas or something they will last a long time!  Take it out in the summer and "test" it if you have any doubts- probably not a bad idea anyway just so you know how it floats you.

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2005, 11:18 AM »
Just received my Stearns I-570 from Fed-Ex.  Was very impressed with the quality... should be perfect out on the ice.  Now we just need ice!!!!!

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:40 AM »
They are worth the inconvenience and the cost.
FTD

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2005, 11:52 AM »
Was out on the ice last weekend about 5 degrees out and windy.  Suit was great.  Snowstorm started around 4pm and chased us off the ice (24" of the white stuff, some snow rates were reported at 4" every half hour!) Had the 4-wheeler out that night with some buddies and the suit worked flawlessly.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2005, 02:48 PM »
I'm active duty coast guard and also the Rescue and Survival systems Petty officer at my unit.   The anti-exposure coverall as it is referred to is quite durable when taken care of properly.  Wash with a mild soap and water(not in a wash machine) by hand, if there is a stubburn stain use a scrub brush.  To dry hang on a wooden hanger and let air dry. If the inside seems to still be damp turn it inside out and let it dry more. Drying the anti-exposure coverall in the dryer will deteriate the foam, basically melt it and ruining its floatation.  When wearing the suit ensure that all straps are tightened.  By tightening the ankle, thigh, waist, and wrist, and zipping up snuggly you basically compartmentalize the suit.  So that in the event of entering the water, the water that enters the suit isn't allowed to freely flow around inside the suit.  What happens is that that water that is trapped in those "compartments" is warmed, thus helping you stay alive longer.  However The antiexposure cover all is really only adequite in keeping you alive when water temps and air temps don't go below 50 degrees.  The temperatures of ice fishing in most places exceed those specifications.  The alternative is the new MSD900 made by mustang,  it is a DRYSUIT (meaning that when you enter the water the water stays out and you stay dry)  Wearing the proper undergarments like Polypro, wool,(no cotton, it looses its heat retaining abilities when it gets wet, unlike wool, or polypro)  against your skin as your first layer, then another layer of insulation(no cotton) then wearing the ant-exposure coverall, or MSD900 drysuit.  The other suit that is available is the "Gumby suit" immersion suit,  its made from thick neoprene and is designed to go over clothing in the event of entering the water.  Which is what most ice rescue teams wear.  Its big bulky not very comfortable, but you could survive a swim in the antartic in the winter.   If anyone wants times on how long a person can survive at a given temp I have the times.  Just the other day we rescued a 72 yr old man that had fell into the water while trying to clear snow off his boat,  he was in the water for 10mins,  (fell in the water behind the coast guard station) and had a core temp of 89 degrees.  The air temp was 23 and the water temp was 36.  Couple more degrees he would have died. 

The whole thing about these suits is that it gives you a little more survival time when being exposed to the water for extended periods of time untill you can be rescued. 

just my 2 cents

Basshuntah

« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2005, 02:15 PM »
Dang never heard of a float suit  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.