Author Topic: Tips on Carhartt Duck Bib Overalls  (Read 6768 times)

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tips on Carhartt Duck Bib Overalls
« on: Jan 02, 2006, 04:28 PM »
I am looking to buy some Carhartt 12 oz Duck Bill Overalls, mostly for ice fishing.  I have an odd size (36x36), so only a few products come in my size.

I notice that Carhartt has the Quilt Lined Overalls (R02) and Arctic Quilt Lined Overalls (R03).  Does anyone own these and can offer any advice? 

This may sound odd, but I don't want to buy anything that is too warm.  I am a pretty warm person, and don't go ice fishing if it is less tha 15 degrees outside.  But I want to make sure that whatever I buy will be adequate.

Thanks.

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
Re: Tips on Carhartt Duck Bib Overalls
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Artic lined are the best in my opinion.. They keep ya at the right temp.. If it gets below zero i may throw on some long johns for added warmth...

Offline icetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2006, 07:16 PM »
I have a pair with the red lining, not sure which one that is, but they keep me warm.

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2006, 07:51 PM »
I have a lined pair and usually they keep me more than warm enough!
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2006, 09:18 PM »

Been wearing the black lined ones(Artic) for the better part of 15+ years. They're great for warmth and are pretty durable, eventually the bottoms fray or the auger blades help them toward old age, but I've always loved mine, along with the rancher style coat with the same lining. That's my suit, got the hood with the liner and added a pair of eskimo mittens and been out in every imaginable weather condition. Only draw back is that there not really water proof. Days like today with alot of water on the ice, you need tall rubber boots underneath. I'll put on a pair of uninsulated rain pants instead of the lj's on underneath too for kneeling. Past the wet ice, that's a nice setup without the rainpant deal. Just buy them maybe a waist size bigger, they seem to run tight :tipup:

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2006, 11:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I usually wear long underwear or jeans under the my GoreTex hunting pants I wear now.

Will I be too warm if I do that with Arctic lined Carhartt's if the weather is around 30 degreees?  Will I also need to go to the next waist size larger if  do that?

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:20 PM »
Last year I got Gander Mountain brand duck bib overalls because the zipper on my pair of Dickies broke.  I have worn them twice now and I am VERY happy with them.  They are about half the price of carhartts :o  I hate paying another $30 for that Carhartt label.  They bibs come in several colors are are pre-warshed so they are not stiff when you wear them for the first time or two.  Go and check out a pair but be careful because I think the New Harford store does not carry them.

Ranger :tipup:

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2006, 06:05 PM »
My dad got the black DuPont Cordura one piece suit that Carhartt makes. He says it is alot better than any of the other Carhartt suit he has owned. It is windproof and very water resistant, worth the $$$ IMO. :)

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2006, 08:25 PM »
I go with the black lined. you can experiment with more or less close underneath. I have the black and if it is to warm I can unzip the legs or unbutton the sides. If it is real cold put more underneath, if it is warm wear less.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:23 PM »
I was Gander the other day (Rochester), and I saw the Dickie's, but I did not see the Gander Brand of Bib Overalls.  A lot of manufacturer's don't make my size anyway (36 inch inseam).

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:31 PM »
I've got the black lined Carhatt's and love'em. Willbilly hit the nail on the head. If it warmer wear less underneath. Colder add a layer.

Shawer good idea on the rain pants I'll have to try that.

I will say as far a water restance I can't complain, I mean you can't kneel down in a puddle for five minutes and expect to stay dry. But on Monday I fished for a least 7 hours, spent at least 3-4 hours out of the hut in the rain and then walked all the way back in the rain. The only thing that got wet was the top of my turtle neck, and I didn't have the hood on my jacket, just had the collar up.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2006, 10:43 PM »
there's a NY'er for ya, can't even dress'm self :o

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2006, 11:07 AM »
MXFISHER656,
Are the black lined ones Arctic lined, or just the regular lined?

ifishhi,
At least we know how to spell in NY!!!

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2006, 11:07 AM »
There's some one from Maine, they can't spell "New" "Yorker" or "them" :D

Hooked on phonics worked for me!!! ;)

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2006, 11:13 AM »
Jmiskey, you beat me to it!!!LOL Us New yorkers stick together so watch out.

I believe the black lining is the arctic lining. I know mine are arctic lined, but they are black on the outside as well.

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2006, 11:30 AM »
I was Gander the other day (Rochester), and I saw the Dickie's, but I did not see the Gander Brand of Bib Overalls.  A lot of manufacturer's don't make my size anyway (36 inch inseam).

Dang, if you ever make it to the Cicero store I know they have them.  I believe the GM brand name is Field Line or something like that.  I bought a 34" inseam and they are too long for me.

Sorry about sending you on a goose chase

Ranger

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2006, 02:10 PM »
Last year I got Gander Mountain brand duck bib overalls because the zipper on my pair of Dickies broke.  I have worn them twice now and I am VERY happy with them.  They are about half the price of carhartts :o  I hate paying another $30 for that Carhartt label.  They bibs come in several colors are are pre-warshed so they are not stiff when you wear them for the first time or two.  Go and check out a pair but be careful because I think the New Harford store does not carry them.

Ranger :tipup:
If you bought the Carhartt's in the first place you would still be on your first pair.

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.