Author Topic: New Clam IA Lift Cold Weather Suit.  (Read 11126 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
New Clam IA Lift Cold Weather Suit.
« on: Aug 28, 2013, 06:59 PM »
I need a pair of ice bibs, Im not looking for the cheapest or the most exspensive. Frabill has some nice ones but there sold in sets I have to buy both jacket and the bibs, I called them and they wont sell individual pieces. Kinda dumb IMO. The strike master ones look good but the color is red only not really what I want. Does anyone have any ideas? Ive looked at a few online but having trouble finding some. Any suggestions?
Salmonemia

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: New Clam IA Lift Cold Weather Suit.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2013, 07:16 PM »
https://redrockstore.com/Catalog/index.php?crn=135                              http://www.icefishingmaniac.com/store/c/517-Closeouts.aspx?pi=2                                        http://www.korkys.com/store/c/373-Ice-Apparel.aspx                       was looking earlier today myself                           
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2013, 07:58 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a suit but am worried about ordering from the internet since I won't be able to try it on.  I never was in the icefishingmaniac before but their prices look pretty good.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Last ice season I picked up a Striker Ice  Jacket and bibs. I highly recommend them. I am very happy with my choice. You can buy them separate if you want. I went with the Black/Grey version. The bibs are nice and toasty and keep me dry.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2013, 06:57 AM »
I'm a bib guy. I like the high back and sides. No back draft.

I got the Frabil Ice Suit (Black) and it is extremely warm. A bit heavy too. No real need to layer much underneath.
I only use it when fishing outside in extreme cold, fishing for lakers (sitting, low activity). It's pretty much a personal portable when wearing it. Nice cause it has padded knees and seat. I recommend it only for fishing on open ice (not in a bobhouse) in extreme weather.

I see the Frabil Ice Suit in Gray...which looks less insulated and might be a better choice(?)....not so heavy or hot.

Most of the time I wear an un-insulated wind / waterproof bib (EMS) and layer underneath which is plenty for me. Good for when you are active chasing flags or fishing inside a portable / bob house where you are fairly warm or can get warm etc....

I see Under Armour makes a bib too maybe worth checking out.

I have the Arctic Armor suit too however I find that it isn't as breathe-able and condensates while I wear it. Maybe it's just me but after wearing it and being active, I'm drenched inside the suit. I like the idea of the float built in but don't use this suit unless going out 1st ice and late season as a safety precaution. I wish it had zip pits or some ventilation feature added.

I have no experience with the Clam suit so I cant judge or comment.

So basically I have a few bibs (and coats), depending on the situation:
Thin non-insulated for fishing in the bob house or active fishing.
A heavy insulated suit for fishing in extreme conditions (bitter cold, high winds, rain etc...) and
A floating suit for 1st ice / late season.
I try to work around Mother Nature as best as I can yet still remain comfortable / protected...cause we know she can be a real bee-otch.

There are a lot of great bibs out there, best to go somewhere and see them first hand prior to purchasing them on line. I like to touch, feel, pull, tug, stretch, try on etc.... before I buy.....kinda beat on them a bit to see their failing points ie: stitching, durability, wind proof, comfort, fit, features etc....

Try going to Kittery, Cablea's, Dicks, EMS, LL Bean etc........to check them out first hand.

Good Luck!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Thanks for all the information everyone.
Salmonemia

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2013, 11:49 AM »
I bought the strikemaster bibs last year and really like the setup.  After using the strikemasters I would not buy bibs with out padded knees.  The side pockets/flaps that allow you access through the bib so you can reach the pockets of the pants you are wearing under the bibs with out having to unzip the front is a great feature as well.  I also found the cargo pockets on them very funtional as well as the leg side zippers that allow you to put them on over boots.  I did have a problem with one of the leg side zippers (tooth fell out) however strikemaster replaced them with a new pair.  I am not a big fan of the liner material  that they use on the bibs because it does not like to slide over rubber boot soles, it grabs on the rubber.     

Nosaj

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2013, 12:11 PM »
I love my climate suit it has zippers on the top and bottom of them all it really comes in handy when you need to tap a kidney. They work like vents on the top of the leg zippers also. I have only used the liner in the bibs once when it was -4F outside.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline fishinpreacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2013, 01:45 PM »
I bought the gray Frabill suit 2 years ago and absolutely love it! IMO it's the perfect balance between keeping me warm and dry while also allowing me a light weight suit that I can move around in w/o getting overheated.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Again thanks for everyones input. Still shopping found these they look really nice.
http://www.onyxoutdoor.com/product/501541/540200-701-XXX-12/_/ArcticShield_Cold_Weather_Extreme_Bib
Salmonemia

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2013, 11:08 PM »
Again thanks for everyones input. Still shopping found these they look really nice.
http://www.onyxoutdoor.com/product/501541/540200-701-XXX-12/_/ArcticShield_Cold_Weather_Extreme_Bib

I don't see water proof on the add or description for that price it should say water Proof!
Just saying wet knees suck.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2013, 05:12 AM »
good point there off the list.
Salmonemia

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2013, 08:45 AM »
striker and arctic armor are on super sale at redrockstore.69 bucks for arctic armor bibs and 99 for striker.both are warm and float.i just got the striker hardwater coat for 99 for those cold days without my shelter.i also have the striker lite suit but the bibs ripped in the crotch.striker fixed them.. now their new bibs say new improved crotch panel.ive tried both the arctic armor suits and the striker is warmer and breathes better.

Offline bababooey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2013, 01:05 PM »
http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_armor/outerware/ia-suits.html

several colors and options available from Clam

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2013, 01:29 PM »
x2 the redrock store some good deals yet . I like artic armour
Never to many short poles

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 02, 2013, 05:01 PM »
I would imagine it depends on your climate.  I live in Western NY so we don't experience frigid temps too often.  I bought the grey Frabill suit last winter and love it.  Built well, pretty light for a suit yet very warm.  I layer up with thermal pants and shirt as a base layer, 2 cotton thermal shirts (the cheap pleated ones) and then a hoodie under my suit.  Works out well up to around 0 degrees, haven't been out in anything under that yet.  I would recommend it.  I think it was 275 for the suit and coat which was actually cheap for these suits.
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2013, 09:41 AM »
I have  carhartt bib and I love it. Warm and plenty of pockets. Only down side is it's not water resistant. But I don't kneel down much in the slop.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 01, 2013, 06:11 PM »
sportsman guide I got a pair of walls I think I paid $60 half the price of carhart!!! I love them warm!!!
retired let the fishing begin

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2013, 01:12 PM »
Looking to buy an ice suit or some bibs for this winter.  I live near the bottom of the ice belt, so I cannot justify big money for something that I will wear a few dozen times a year.  I should note that I am 6'6", so a long-inseam option would be nice.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2013, 02:00 PM »
it would be more of a matter of how you define big money. most dedicated ice suits will start at around $250 and go up from there. if you don't have a problem spending $300.00 then I would look at the Ice Amour Edge suit. they retail for $299.99 and go up to size 5XL. 34"  inseam on 3X to 5X, 33" on XL & 2X, 32" on M & L. Ice Amour also has just bibs that only go up to 2x in size. the inseams on them are the same as the suits. they come either insulated or  non insulated. retail on the insulted ones would be $149.99 and the non insulated would be $119.99. Striker ice also makes good suits but they are closer to $350.00 plus for their suits.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2013, 05:04 PM »
I went to Bass Pro Shop and bought their 3xL tall insulated goretex camo bibs and coat.  It is a warm enough outfit for ice fishing and also serves in deer and waterfowl season. Really handy on a wet day on stand in the woods.  I am also 5 foot 18" and like that they  have tall sizes.

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2013, 05:15 PM »
If you keep your eyes open for a sale, the standard Vexilar bibs (not the new ones they out this year) can be had for $80. I have a pair, and they have served me well. I believe that they also go up to 5xl.

I got mine for $80 a couple years ago at Fleet Farm on black friday.

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2013, 06:07 PM »
FleetFarm

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Looking to buy an ice suit or some bibs for this winter.  I live near the bottom of the ice belt, so I cannot justify big money for something that I will wear a few dozen times a year.  I should note that I am 6'6", so a long-inseam option would be nice.

Keep an eye out during the MN Ice Fishing Show.  I'd you can't make the show, you may be able to get the same price online or by calling.  I picked up the grey Frabill Icesuit (non-insulated) for $150 at the show last year.  I love mine, have used it anywhere from 40 above to -30 and was plenty comfortable.

Offline masshills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 2013, 07:05 PM »
You can 3X and 4X Striker Lite jackets and bibs for $79.99 each at Korkys. Really warm, floats, and unbelievable price. I bought a couple of sets for my son and I.

Offline Chad Peterson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 15, 2013, 07:25 PM »
The clam suites are quality and for the money they are worth it. I have been wearing the blue suit for 8+ years and it's nice a warm.

Chad

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 15, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Can get cabelas uninsulated bibs on sale now for 69 bucks. I'm giving them a try. Like the idea of uninsulated so I can layer accordingly. Buddy has em and have held up nice for couple years.

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 15, 2013, 10:04 PM »
got your problems solved right here: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-ice-parka.aspx?a=750470

i purchased this suit on deep discount and have used it for 2 seasons.  It works great!  Its warm and for the money it cant be beat.  I've used it in the cold of canada as well as in open water season.  Its waterproof too so its great for fall early spring fishing.  I have seen this entire suit for less then 100$ on sale on this site.  After two seasons i can see that some of the stitching is a little loose and not the best quality but its still holding up and i expect it to for at least another couple of years.  For the money cant complain about that

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #28 on: Oct 15, 2013, 10:20 PM »
I have tried/worn/owned/ almost every suit out there. Clams, Vexilar, Frabill, HT/Polar Fire, Arctic Armor and Striker Ice. For my money, the Striker stuff is hands down the best bang for your buck. In fact, the best period...especially if you think you might EVER find yourself thru the ice...

A LOT of choices out there...you can try almost every one on in Dec at any of the ice shows...

Mike
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #29 on: Oct 15, 2013, 10:36 PM »
I don't have any experience with other suits but my Frabill ice suit is awesome. I got it on sale on sale last season for$200 IIRC and it was worth every single penny.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.