New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake George perchin' thread  (Read 158322 times)

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake George perchin' thread
« Reply #30 on: Feb 13, 2014, 03:23 PM »
Sometimes, on the smaller jigs, moving the knot forward toward the hook point , makes a difference too. :icefish:
Noticed the same if they are looking but not taking a lot of times getting my jig back to horizontal will turn them back on. It gets a little better action that way I think.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 13, 2014, 03:30 PM »
It gets a little better action that way I think.
  :roflmao: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline Dr. Honk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEED ICE
« Reply #32 on: Feb 13, 2014, 03:40 PM »
Noticed the same if they are looking but not taking a lot of times getting my jig back to horizontal will turn them back on. It gets a little better action that way I think.

That is good advice. Thanks for the tip

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:36 PM »
I ran into exactly that for a bit today.
I changed my bottom jig to the smallest Mooska I had. I had to coax every fish up, but I took a really good bucket of perch for some home made scampi tonight.
I had to do the same thing with every fish. Drop right down to them to catch attention. 3 small twitches on my way up 6" with my tip and pause. If I deviated at all the fish would disappear.
Landed another sewer trout on a tear drop today. Scattered my school of perch on me for 15 minutes.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline mnt fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:50 PM »
nice thread, and good name for the trout. sewer trout, Gotta love it

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Caught another trout today also wish I could keep some of them. It seems like every time jigging perch I catch 1 or 2 in the 19"-22" range. They always twist my line up and have ruined the drag on a couple of cheap reels.

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:36 AM »
Just a question what do you consider keepers. I here people catching they're limit. Personaly a 8'' perch is barely a keeper in my eyes. I have seen soo many people just get all the dinks and toss them into there buckets. I know people make fish patties but some of those fish need to be tossed back! Poersonaly
!!FLAG!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:48 AM »
Just a question what do you consider keepers. I here people catching they're limit. Personaly a 8'' perch is barely a keeper in my eyes. I have seen soo many people just get all the dinks and toss them into there buckets. I know people make fish patties but some of those fish need to be tossed back! Poersonaly
It depends what I'm catching.
If all I catch are 7" fish. I'm taking a handful for the pan when I get home. I won't take 50 fish like that, but 15 or 20 is perfect for the kids and I.
Perch reproduce so much that I don't think human pressure could ever have an affect on LG perch. 
I took a limit yesterday because I was fishing with 2 buddies that don't get out much. After the clinic I put on yesterday... I don't think they'll want to fish next to me again, but they each left with as much as I took home. I took 5 little ones right off the bat. Once I realized that I was going to have no issues filling a bucket. My criteria went up. The other 45 fish were 8-14".  :o

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:23 AM »
Yeah I fish the same. Usually the first 5 fish never make it back unless they are dinks!
!!FLAG!!

Offline Dr. Honk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEED ICE
« Reply #39 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:37 AM »
It depends what I'm catching.
If all I catch are 7" fish. I'm taking a handful for the pan when I get home. I won't take 50 fish like that, but 15 or 20 is perfect for the kids and I.
Perch reproduce so much that I don't think human pressure could ever have an affect on LG perch. 
I took a limit yesterday because I was fishing with 2 buddies that don't get out much. After the clinic I put on yesterday... I don't think they'll want to fish next to me again, but they each left with as much as I took home. I took 5 little ones right off the bat. Once I realized that I was going to have no issues filling a bucket. My criteria went up. The other 45 fish were 8-14".  :o

Fifty perch is ALOT of filleting. I try to keep the ones that are 10 inches and up. While I never have limited out on that size perch, I feel I get a better fillet with the larger fish.
As far as taking out numbers of perch, There has to be a million perch in LG. I don't think you could ever put a dent in the perch population.

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:29 AM »
I agree with the population. But good luck now to anyone without a snowmobile. 20 inches down here in saratoga. You won't find me walking to far, dragging my sled. Skis or not
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Throwing fish back is great for the conservation of the fish..Kudos! I try to do the same, even small females contain a lot of eggs. I have a set up similar to bass fishing, 3 rods set up with different types of jigs and I found that varying the jigs and presentation keeps the fish interested and active. Once that invisible switch is thrown and they bite anything, its a chess game and a lot of fun indeed.

JJ

« Reply #42 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:03 AM »
Throwing too many fish back can have negative effects on the size of the perch. There is only so much available food (carrying capacity) and less perch means more bigger perch; removing them usually helps, as others have mentioned there are plenty of them out there.

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Personally I have been keeping them if they were at least 8 inches but then my wife likes the little ones. (happy wife means a happy life!). But also as people have said on this or the LG BS thread; till recently almost all the fish have been males. My last time out was day before the previous storm fished afternoon bite and kept 24 threw back similar number. Nothing under 8 inches but when I measured the couple I thought were "nice fish" they were just over 9 inches. Cleaned that number gives me about 1 3/4# of filets. I think you get a bit more meat off the males deeper filet to the rib cage.

Glad to see that this thread exists!

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:21 PM »
Throwing too many fish back can have negative effects on the size of the perch. There is only so much available food (carrying capacity) and less perch means more bigger perch; removing them usually helps, as others have mentioned there are plenty of them out there.
In my opinion, I think that's one of the problems with the bass population in toga and their size,  disregarding the talk about the weeds.  I know there is somewhat of a healthy population of larger fish, but there's so many small ones. I will keep some 12 - 13inches when possible.

Offline BOCHASER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Never heard of lakers called sewer trout - that is funny - out in Lake Ontario my guys call them Mud Chickens!!! The kids laught every time we say it it seems.

As for perch, you never really know if you are going to blast them or not so usually the first few marginal fish (unless real dinks) I will keep if I am looking to get a meal. As the bite progresses, if it does, I will be more selective. If it stays slow, at least I have enough to make it worth getting the knife dirty.

Somewhere on here I recall seeing something regarding releasing perch with their air bladder in their mouth but can't seem to find it. If you release them with the bladder still in their mouth are they surviving and / or there any tricks to help the survival rate. I was thinking a slower retrieve once hooked might help?

JJ

« Reply #46 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:29 PM »
In my opinion, I think that's one of the problems with the bass population in toga and their size,  disregarding the talk about the weeds.  I know there is somewhat of a healthy population of larger fish, but there's so many small ones. I will keep some 12 - 13inches when possible.

Same with the bass on LG, very few people keep them and we are seeing lots of small ones under 12". I think they are over-protected and would like the see them open during the winter like they are on some of the Finger Lakes.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:37 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot that some of the finger lakes were like that. :cookoo:

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:37 PM »
It would be awesome if you could keep bass in the winter,  IMO fish caught in the cold water taste the best, I think it's due to the fact the meat never really gets above 40-50 degrees. Depends on how efficient you are when cleaning I suppose.  I think it helps with the meat texture as well. Warmer fillets seem a little mushy to me.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Thank you man. I'll save that tidbit for the next time Tony is giving me grief for 7's and 8's in my bucket.  ;D

JJ

« Reply #50 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Perch are prolific spawners, the females hold thousands of eggs as has been noted. We had a really good couple years for salmon in 2002-3, but the smelt numbers were way down at the time. The salmon were very healthy and their stomachs were loaded with perch fry.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:12 PM »
There are certainly plenty of perch in the KING and no need to throw them back for conservation sake.  Drop the aquaview down on some of the grassbeds and you'll be amazed at how many are swimming around.  I keep em 8" and up and always fish for my limit of 50.  Using the 6" blade on my electric knife I find the 8-9" males very easy to filet.  I always thought it was funny during years when the lake didn't freeze how people would say, "Wait til next year and the perch will all be big because there was no fishing pressure".  Never happens ;D  There the same size every year no matter how much ice we get or don't get so might as well keep em and eat em :tipup:   

JJ

« Reply #52 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:18 PM »
"Never happens"..... so true. ;D

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:20 PM »
I'm not sure if they stock all of the lakes the same by removing the adipose fin...but those look like natives.

JJ

« Reply #54 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Those are stocked salmon, they did some adipose clips in LG a few years back when they tried different stocking times. The only ones I have seen with adipose clips recently are the brood stock they put in select waters (not LG), they used to not even clip those ones.

Offline skunkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fur Trapper
« Reply #55 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:56 PM »
Does anyone fish perch with ice flies? A friend of mine as given me some he calls root beer and they work like crazy. Also 307 sells one hat looksmuch like the freshwater shrimp they are feeding on.
Lookin for woman that owns boat, motor, and can clean fish. Send picture of boat and motor.

JJ

« Reply #56 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Flies work great for the perch, one of my favorites is a simple calves hair fly.

Offline twinkme20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 14, 2014, 02:12 PM »
Anybody ben out on dunhamss? Thinkin bout going monday

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #58 on: Feb 14, 2014, 02:15 PM »
Thank you man. I'll save that tidbit for the next time Tony is giving me grief for 7's and 8's in my bucket.  ;D
baby killer  ;D ;) jk man

i mite keep a few in the 8" range or what we call "marginal" i prefer 9" or better

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 14, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Out of curiosity, what separates them from natives if their fin isn't clipiped? How can someone tell ?  I'm not much of a salmon fisherman.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.