Author Topic: Missing shiners  (Read 2051 times)

Offline SLED HEAD

• IceShanty Rookie
Missing shiners
« on: Jan 25, 2022, 04:09 PM »
Ok guys I’m a total rookie to ice fishing but a decent open water fisherman. The last two times I went out I had shiners missing off my tip ups without tripping a flag. Do you think the shiners just worked their way off the hook? I’m just curious because I’ve never had live bait work it’s way off the hook over many years of open water fishing.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Missing shiners
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2022, 04:12 PM »
possible yes
probaly not tho  ;D
check the releses on your traps

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2022, 04:17 PM »
Crappies seem great at taking shiners off a hook. When I switched to Quick Strike Rigs with Double Ryder hooks I started landing Crappies... Just one of the many possibilities. How sensitive do you have your "trip" mechanism set?

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:17 PM »
Trout are good at it too. Like mentioned check to see if the spools roll loose and your trip is not too tight.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:27 PM »
Make sure you line in coming off the spool in the right direction to trip the flag
Believe me it happens

Offline SLED HEAD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys. I will have to check the tip ups. I was fishing in a place with crappie and trout. I probably have something wrong on my setup.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:19 PM »
It definitely happens. That's why I make a point to walk around and do a bait check every once in a while.
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:30 AM »
I think it a combination of minnows wiggling free and bait stealers.  Check your baits throughout the day.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline Fresh Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:51 AM »
When dropping bait with very little lite weight can have them come off on the trip down, especially in deep water. I always look for line movement once I feel the bait has reached bottom .

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:26 AM »
HOW ARE YOU HOOKING THEM. LIPS OR BACK? I DO BOTH, IF YOU ARE USING MED. TO LARGE SHINERS AND SMALL HOOKS THEY MAY BE GETTING OFF. MAKE SURE THEY ARE HOOKED WELL

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:07 AM »
I find that sometimes a bait check can help the flags start popping too. Almost like the fish are staring at the bait but not hitting it, and then  they eat it when you pull it up and drop it back down again.
Nothing worse than having a line in the water all day, only to find an empty hook or a bunch of weeds on the bait at the end of the day. I try to check every couple hours.

Offline SLED HEAD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:12 AM »
I have been using medium shiners and checking the lines every half hour to hour. I have been hooking them through the lips. I only use one hook because I catch and release. I just found it odd because I have hooked shiners the same way for years in open water and never had one work it’s way off.

Offline dbarnum24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:22 AM »
I find the best way to hook shiners in right above the spine halfway behind the dorsal fin and tail fin

Offline Ranger275

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:40 AM »
I find the best way to hook shiners in right above the spine halfway behind the dorsal fin and tail fin

This is what I do as well. I still do a bait check about every 30 minutes as well.

Offline Coosangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2022, 11:45 AM »
So I've had 16 days on the ice so far and changed up to an old hard side shanty.  I also turned to jig rods...
I fish live shiners  in two holes six feet apart...
If the bait isn't lively replace it even if you just put it on.
It has been good for my understanding of what's going on down there...
Hook choice is paramount
I like Gamakatsu but have found a more aggressive barb  (eagle claw)
Retains bait alot better
So I set the rods on the bench and watch the tip for the light movement
of the bait... When it stops I give it a jig and set it back down and look for the pulse.... The jig action spurs the bait to resume swimming....
A shiner hooked well in the back can live and swim for hours with this method
No pulse gets a visual bait check
People on here advise a bait check on tip ups every 30 minutes....
I agree... If not more often
Similar results if the bait is still swimming good
I've put 21 lakers on the ice so far
Still haven't moved the shanty...
People show up and drill holes all around me and set tip ups and don't catch anything....
But they report the same thing, missing bait at the end of the day
I have missed so many strikes I can't count em. Not embarrassed to say I've fed out a dozen shiners in a day and only landed one fish...or less lol
Seems for me to be trending to bigger fish with no flasher lure above the shiner...
Just a barrel swivel and small split shot.... Takes more patience but worth it
I still use both....
Literally hundreds of lures to choose from and bare minimum still gets it done
Old timer asked me what I was using for bait and I said shiners of course....
 He said get yourself some night crawlers and winked....lol
I laughed and said they are in the fridge at home and will be with me next trip
Hope this input helps
Oh yeah 3 of those days were skunks....
Never give up!
Definitely spent countless hours watching guys on YouTube like Clayton Schick, Justin Jenkins, Joe Cooper, and the two brothers from Canada who have multiple world records who I can't remember their names

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2022, 12:24 PM »
dont ever count out the lowly nightcrawler thru the ice. when nothing else is working.
i never go without them. I may not use them but if its real slow they usually get some action
brookies love em

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2022, 01:24 PM »
A properly sized hook for the bait you are using helps keep them secured. Insert your hook at the middle of the dorsal fin and exit just in front of the fin. Helps keep them on the hook and exposes the hook point when the fish swallows the bait head first. Always a good idea to check the bait periodically, as said before it seems to stir up action.

dont ever count out the lowly nightcrawler thru the ice. when nothing else is working.
i never go without them. I may not use them but if its real slow they usually get some action
brookies love em

Crawlers or spikes. Trout and panfish love a small (size 10-12) hook loaded with spikes.

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2022, 01:36 PM »
brookies love em

And the mealworm

Rainbows love them

Offline SLED HEAD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2022, 03:04 PM »
I didn’t know that crawlers and meal worms would still be effective so I will have to give them a try. I stopped hooking my bait through the back when I was a kid because I used to hit the spine and kill half the bait.  I think I will try it again and see if my bait doesn’t end up missing as often.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2022, 03:33 PM »
One should always check that the fish that inhabit the body of water one intends to fish do not have any long records of larceny charges in the past or pending.  :callcops:

Offline BobB257

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:12 PM »
Sled,
I agree with Coos.   I really have come to like the Gamakatsu hook.   The one I prefer for live shiners and worms (Meal or Crawler) I believe is their Drop Shot hook.   Its a fine diameter wire.   Sharp as heck.   Fish that take a bait hardly know its there if you are using 4lb or 6lb test.   (Maxima smoke is my fav. but guys love the floro).  I avoid Octopus style hooks.   Not nearly as effective for me bait fishing.   
Totally agree also on the frequent check.   I like to fish one less trap.   Jig a few test holes.   Then circle the traps and inspect the vitality of the minnows.   Repeat.  Whoever said Icefishing is just sitting around freezing has never worked a set with a little distance between holes.   You will get your exercise pulling the sled around the loop or line.   
Good luck
Take a kid fishing, you just might learn a thing or two.

Offline pepperdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:10 AM »

Thirded (or whatever) - for tip ups.     Below the spine, but above the guts there's a sweet spot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.