Author Topic: The Lake is 3/4 Frozen...Belly Boated instead of Ice fished  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
We got out two days ago on the belly boats at Rifle Gap. The lake is still 3/4 frozen but a lot of that ice is just slush. This is one of my favorite times to target trout though!

The water was cold but sweats, some wool socks, and neoprene waders helps with that tremendously. I tend to use smaller moving baits during this time as the trout are becoming more active for forage. 2" swimbaits to be exact...Caught 3 total fish in the short time out on the water. A small rainbow, a good size brown, and a tiny Northern Pike. When other parts open up, we plan on doing some half frozen lake vertical jigging for perch (going to dress extra warm for that)

A storm rolled in and it blew us off the water after a few hours...Still great times though! Hope you guys enjoy the video!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: The Lake is 3/4 Frozen...Belly Boated instead of Ice fished
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2021, 05:39 PM »
What?  No Wallies? ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2021, 05:54 PM »
Nice job.  Looks like its filling up a little bit too?

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2021, 11:15 PM »
What?  No Wallies? ;D

Haha going to do some vertical jigging for them and probably perch when other parts of the lake un-freeze! Hoping for a 16" lol

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2021, 11:17 PM »
Nice job.  Looks like its filling up a little bit too?

It's filling up some but it's still REALLY low. Remy and I were talking when we were out on the water about where we launched our belly boats last year, most of that area is still dry ground (East side of lake).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.