Author Topic: Southpark - where to fish  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's as good as ICE FISHING
Southpark - where to fish
« on: Dec 16, 2009, 11:06 PM »
Hello Colorado guys.  From Iowa here, bringing 2 boys and self to Southpark area somewhere from 12/21 to 12/31, ski and fish for 5 days or so.  Need ideas on area to fish and equipment needed, not sure what you have for fish species locally.  I have the large Clam (6holes),etc.  Up to 8 inches ice here in north Iowa. Also would like suggestions on cheap place to stay, just a place to snooze for a while.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks, Tom

Offline par845

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Southpark - where to fish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2009, 08:45 AM »
Go Hawks.  There are several excellent places to fish in the SP area.  I'd recommend either 11 Mile Res or Antero.  11 Mile is in Lake George, very large lake with nice trout and Pike. Ice conditions are excellent with a 7" to 12" lid depending on where you fish.  Antero is in Hartsel just down the highway from 11 Mile.  I haven't fished there yet this year, but conditions are good.  Big trout in Antero, however Antero is much smaller than 11 Mile.  I do most of my fishing at 11 Mile, but both locations are excellent and you will have a good time.  Which ever place you decide to fish, be prepared for fast changing weather.  Very high winds are common at both lakes.   I will be on vacation that same week and plan to do some fishing at the Mile and I'd be happy to show a fellow Hawk some great Colorado fishing.  Shoot me an email if you are interested [email protected].

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:14 AM »
As far as places to stay, you might want to try the Riverside Inn in Fairplay.  That will put you 30 minutes from Antero, 45 or so minutes from 11 Mile.  Keep in mind that if you fish Antero, the trout tend to like jigging; 11 Mile fish like the deadstick.  Good luck and have a great Christmas!

Offline jasonmeekhof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:22 AM »
Didn't know there really was  a Southpark, Colorado...
Jason Meekhof<br />Muskegon, MI <br />www.myspace.com/underallow<br />

Offline par845

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:03 AM »
Yep, there is a real South Park and yes it is the basis for the cartoon, South Park.

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Southpark - where to fish (whoops, I mean South Fork)
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2009, 06:33 PM »
OOOOOPS!!!!! ::)   Sorry, I really meant to type South Fork.  I guess I've watched too may SouthPark episodes, it's engrained in my brain. 

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2009, 06:44 PM »
We may stay in Denver, not sure but looks like the places you guys have mentioned would be closer to Colorado Springs, which is ok.  Thanks for the info guys.  Iowa ice is now near 11".  We usually fish the whole day on a weekend just to be out fishing but the bite is usually early morning or early evening for the most part.  Wallyee and Yellow bass locally, both super eating.  Other lakes around here are good for crappie, blue gills, northern or perch, so we have a few choices on fishing sites.  It's been below zero for a few days, and finally near 20 today, so a guy can stand to be outside for a bit.  Thanks, guys        Tom

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:09 PM »
South Fork, as in snow country Colorado?  Very different than South park.  Some of the western slope crowd is going to have to chime in on this one.  I'm familiar with the area when it's warm but have never iced anything in that area.  Not sure what would be accessible during the winter months. 

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2009, 09:26 PM »
I grew up in the Colo springs but live in Montana now.  I grew up fishing all the above mentioned lakes.  Another one we used to go to that always had Denver guys there was Tarryall.  I don't know the status of it anymore.  I had heard they had done work to the damn and drained the lake but I don't know.  Its been ten years for me since I've been there.  Great spot in the day though.  Nice pike and tons of rainbows and browns.  We always smoked em up there.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.