Author Topic: Best Scents for Panfish  (Read 2737 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best Scents for Panfish
« on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:32 PM »
Hi Guys.  Looking to get some scents to use with my plastics this year, and I'm wondering what guys have found to work best.  I use scents a lot for bass fishing, but haven't messed with it for ice fishing.  I'll be targeting crappie 95% and bluegill and perch making up the other 5%.

I know that Berkley makes a crappie scent, while Pro-Cure and SlabSauce seem popular based on a quick search.  Dr. Juice and Johnson also have some offerings.  What have your experiences been?  Looking for advice on what gets bites, but also what is easy to work with while ice fishing.

I am looking for a gel/sticky sort of liquid.  Something that will hang on there for more than one drop.  I am going against any kind of spray bottle for fear the liquid will freeze.  I am also vetoing the "fish stick" kind that's like chapstick since my bass fishing has taught me that stuff doesn't apply easily in freezing conditions.  The scent will stay in my rod bag and then my pocket or on my fold-out table most likely.  I fish outside 70% of the time and inside 30%, but I'm in Pennsylvania - not Alberta.

Lastly, would you use any scent while fishing spikes (maggots) or wax worms on tungsten?  Maybe put some on the Tungsten?  I like putting some scent on my hard lures while bass fishing (crankbaits, topwaters) thinking it may cause them to hold on a split second longer and might help the lure slide through their mouth/lips more easily to get a slightly better hook set.  I figure the baitfish that bass are used to eating all have a slime coat...

I'm guessing this convo might get some pretty interesting responses!  Thanks in advance.

-  Jim
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Scents for Panfish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:39 PM »
I use a Real Bait Fish scent/oil n dip my lures in that. Trout like it and so do the Perch.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:40 PM »
I use little atom concoction no 9 to refresh my plastics. its what little atom puts in all their soft plastics.comes in a dropper bottle.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:12 PM »
mr icehole (gel) and dr juice (liquid). used as last resort.

Offline .Pan Handler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:04 PM »
JBs Fish Sauce-Perch Juice or Black Magic. Comes in chapstick, jelly or spray.

https://jbsfishsauce.com/

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2020, 06:42 AM »
How long does the scent stay on small jigs?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:17 AM »
the rest of the outing at least. that's why i use it as a last resort. if i start with a scent and they are lookers, you can't take it off. if i have lookers at my bait w/o scent i add it to see if it helps or not. mostly used when the bite is slow as a last ditch effort.

open water, i use it most of the time, but i use mike's uv gel in garlic for game fish. it's thick and red so it makes the plastic look like its bleeding and catches talian fish too. https://atlasmikes.com/product/6304-mikes-gel-scent-garlic/

more offerings https://atlasmikes.com/fish-attractants-scents/mikes-uv-gel-scent/

"Mike’s UV Gel Scent comes from over 25 years of testing and research. Our special blend of concentrated scents, flavors and amino acids combined with our Super Sticky formula creates a powerful fish attractant. The addition of UV has the ability to attract fish from greater distances. The UV flash draws them close, the scent entices them to bite! Apply directly to lures, spinners, plastic baits, tube jigs, etc. and you will notice the results immediately. Super Sticky formula holds on lures and baits longer, resulting in more strikes and fish! Effective in both freshwater and saltwater. Also masks out unwanted human odors and other fish repelling smells such as gasoline and plastics. Easy to use: apply directly to lures, live bait, cluster roe, flies, yarn, etc. Glo Scent can also be injected into baits or used to marinate baits, which has proven to be very effective.

Easy-to-use flip top bottle. 2 oz."

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2020, 02:51 PM »
Anyone else use Anise oil?

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2020, 03:13 PM »
For carp lol

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2020, 06:32 PM »
Anyone else use Anise oil?

Yep, I do - my Dad got me started using it many, many years ago.  Stuff he used was in a gel form.  The Little Atom C9 is basically an anise formula.  I also use a scent called Smelt Rite that I've had good luck with.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2020, 07:37 PM »
If you smoke, scents can really help if the fish are finicky.
I like anise, or wd.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:00 PM »
My Vectēts always said to spit on minnows. So maybe cherry infused vodka?
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:45 PM »
I put scent in the package when I open them.  mostly "powerbait" or "yum shad", depending on plastic.  don't need it if bait already has it though.

before all the scent hit the market it was salt and anise in a pill bottle of lard.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2020, 10:39 AM »
I have not had opportunity to use it yet, but seeing a lot of good reviews for Billy Rub. Hoping to get out soon to try it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174118106529?fbclid=IwAR3gR7B93PxEaUvE2eo9f1yuNsEx6kwur9zQXLCvx_Nt2q6FrFTzZDEZydc

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2020, 02:34 PM »
Wow.  The responses have been all over the board.  I was hoping this would sort of focus in on one or two brands to choose from.  lol.

Guess I'll just pick one and try it!  Thanks for all the input guys.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.