Author Topic: Winter Swimming  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles
Winter Swimming
« on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Aghhh well it happened today. Went for a little swim.

The weather in Wisconsin has been less than ideal, and I've been itchin to fish. I went to of one my first ice lakes and it was locked up, saw 3 people gearing up in the parking lot to head out so I figured hell I've give it a look. I didn't have my spud bar today (left it at a friends house) but I had my panfish auger so I figured I'd pop a hole or two to see.

I walked out about 10 yard and measured 2" of good ice, with 3" of bad ice on top. I have no idea what possessed me, but I decided to walk out further. Drilled another hole with same ice conditions. Walked another 10 yards (now 40 yards from the launch) and the ice caved. I went in up to my neck.

It wasn't nearly as cold as I expected, so that was good. I sat for 30 seconds to catch my breath and evaluate the situation. After calming down I decided to make my attempt. I used the swim-out method Aaron Wiebe preaches and it worked lovely. Float your legs up and try to swim out / army crawl out. The ice kept breaking for a good few feet which worried me, but it held finally and I got out on my own power.

It was a cold ride home, but in the end I am glad it happened. I've never had to rescue myself from going in before, and I am happy to know I can do it and stay calm. I always worried about being a big dude (6'3" 370lbs) and having to rescue myself, but not anymore.

Stay safe out there, even if I don't take my own advice! 
Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Winter Swimming
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:48 PM »
Great story and grateful that you did so well. Thank you for the stark reminder.  ::)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:50 PM »
Yep! I'm always willing to be the guinea pig haha.

When people say no ice is safe ice, it's not a joke. Two people at the launch went out after watching me take a dunk, and one dude said hell no and packed up his gear. He was the smart one. I didn't stick around to see if the two that went out took a swim, I warned them and booked it home.

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:44 PM »
Glad your ok! What lake?

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:47 PM »
Glad your ok! What lake?

Big Muskego in Muskego, SE Wi.

This is always the first lake I fish because it's fairly shallow for the most part. I was surprised I even went up to my chest / neck. Must have been over a pocket. Usually it's like 3-4ft deep.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:53 PM »
Glad you made it out ok!!!  Were you wearing a float suit?

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:01 PM »
Glad you made it out ok!!!  Were you wearing a float suit?

I was not, I was wearing jeans and a jacket. I'll definitely be looking at float suits though..

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:02 PM »
Glad you're safe!

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:10 PM »
I highly recommend some ice picks. Cheap and can make the difference between getting out or not. Surprised the other people going out did not assist you. You got lucky today my friend.

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:24 PM »
I highly recommend some ice picks. Cheap and can make the difference between getting out or not. Surprised the other people going out did not assist you. You got lucky today my friend.

To be fair I didn't ask for help or seem distressed. It's best we don't put 3 people through the ice. I got out rather quick, before they'd ever make it to me. And yeah, I should buy a lotto ticket lol.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:18 AM »
It's always scary.... I don't ever remember feeling the cold water while I'm in the process of checking the depth full body style...

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:31 AM »
nicely done. Way to stay calm and stay safe.  Live to fish another day.
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:33 PM »
Happy to hear you're safe and hopefully everyone learns from your swim.  Stay safe everyone.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:32 PM »
I don't like to swim, tend to lose things like my prescription glasses.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:59 PM »
Glad you are OK.  Those of us who have been wet have a certain appreciation for your experience, and a certain extra measure of caution thereafter.  In my case, I cracked or bruised a rib or two also.  Like you, I was able to self extract quickly.  Unlike missoulafish, I distinctly remember the cold water.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:24 PM »
I've honestly been telling myself I want to purposely fall through just to practice getting out. Obviously have someone nearby with a rope and what not. I know I could get myself out but it would be nice to actually know 100% how to react. Glad you made it out safe
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:35 PM »

Glad you got out, floatable suits are the difference.  :thumbsup: :clap: :flex:

IW

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:36 PM »
I've honestly been telling myself I want to purposely fall through just to practice getting out. Obviously have someone nearby with a rope and what not. I know I could get myself out but it would be nice to actually know 100% how to react. Glad you made it out safe

I've seen various videos of individuals/groups practicing their self-extrication in a controlled environment (i.e. paramedics on hand, etc.).  Are they doing this on fresh ice or cutting out holes later in the season?  You would lose the element of the ice further breaking as you attempted to get out, as the OP indicated happened to him.  Well done keeping your composure...I imagine trying to climb out onto unstable/fracturing ice would have reintroduced panic into the moment.

I'm glad it ended well for you.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:42 PM »
Glad you are ok, I have not gone in yet. We have some thin ice in our area also but getting cold. Going to make sure to check it several times

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:05 PM »
swimming ok if you get to go home later.  glad it was a good ending.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:19 PM »
Glad you are OK.  Those of us who have been wet have a certain appreciation for your experience, and a certain extra measure of caution thereafter.  In my case, I cracked or bruised a rib or two also.  Like you, I was able to self extract quickly.  Unlike missoulafish, I distinctly remember the cold water.

I woke up today with a giant parallel bruise on my chest. Thankfully nothing broken.

And absolutely. It's one of those things you don't really think about til it happens. I'm sure it won't be the last, but I'm going to mitigate the danger as much as possible from now on. 

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:20 PM »

I'd definitely recommend going through on purpose. Even if it's only in chest deep water. Just have a change of clothes on hand and a warmed up truck. I feel way more confident knowing I can save myself.

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:22 PM »
I've seen various videos of individuals/groups practicing their self-extrication in a controlled environment (i.e. paramedics on hand, etc.).  Are they doing this on fresh ice or cutting out holes later in the season?  You would lose the element of the ice further breaking as you attempted to get out, as the OP indicated happened to him.  Well done keeping your composure...I imagine trying to climb out onto unstable/fracturing ice would have reintroduced panic into the moment.

I'm glad it ended well for you.

Yeah, I my heart started racing again when it was breaking when I tried getting out, but I just talked to myself to stay calm and keep trucking til it holds.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:59 PM »
I'm glad you're okay!  Stay safe!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2020, 07:33 AM »
We're glad you're ok!  You probably maid at least a couple people think about ice safety little more strongly than they did before.  You survived to tell the story and teach a lesson!  Just happy your still with us.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:44 AM »
THANKS for sharing your experience! ANd glad you made it out OK!

A great example of how checking ice thickness/safety with an AUGER is NOT recommended!  ;)

I am simply amazed how many folks go on the ice without a SPUD BAR!  Last weekend I had to steer a guy away from (obviously)thin ice and gave him a lesson on the importance of having a spud bar and how to use it!  ::) 

I made sure I had my spud, my picks AND my throw bag and were all accessible and made sure my buddies knew where the throw bag was in case it was needed!

You can NEVER be too cautious out on the ice!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:53 AM »
Thankfully i have never gone thru. But i feel if you had been in deeper water the situation might have been different. There is a sense of clam being able to touch the bottom. Imagine now you are in 10' of water in jeans and a jacket trying to stay above water trying to catch your breath. I am glad you made it out okay but you were very lucky that it was a shallow body of water. Maybe you would not have gone out as far and taken that risk if you knew it was a deeper lake. Either way glad you are safe.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2020, 02:38 PM »
I'm glad you made it out safely. Your adventure is a good reminder to not push the envelope when trying to decide if the ice is "safe enough".  That's really hard to remember when it's already January 16th and there hasn't been much fishable ice. I will definitely have my picks around my neck when I do go out on safe ice (at least 3" of clear ice).

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2020, 03:13 PM »
Has anyone here gone in a used pics to get out?
I've been pretty sceptical on how well they work. I see guys take chances and wonder if their pics give a false sense of security.
I know lots of guys carry them, I'm sure there are videos, I'd like to hear from someone who has used them.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2020, 03:28 PM »
I don't like to swim, tend to lose things like my prescription glasses.
Yeah buddy! In a jon boat set the hook on a bass, seat clamp wasn’t tight enough and went backwards out of the boat! Glasses gone! My little nephew still brings it up after 20 years.
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.