Author Topic: Winter Swimming  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles
Re: Winter Swimming
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2020, 06:01 PM »
Has anyone here gone in a used pics to get out?
I've been pretty sceptical on how well they work. I see guys take chances and wonder if their pics give a false sense of security.
I know lots of guys carry them, I'm sure there are videos, I'd like to hear from someone who has used them.

I tell you what, I didn't use picks, but next time I will. My fingers are cut up from pulling myself out. I imagine they can't be worse than your hands. What's the worse that could happen, you try and and decide they don't work and chuck em.
Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2020, 06:50 PM »
I went thru 5 years ago with my float suit on. I was on 10" of ice  cutting holes with my new gas auger. Cut a hole walked a few steps  & stepped on a soft spot. It was like stepping off the edge of a cliff. Sploosh i went right in. Have no idea how my auger didn't end up on the bottom of the lake. I rolled out of the hole onto the solid ice. Like a walrus . Ill never forget that day. Went home changed & went to another lake an hour later.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:15 PM »
I've been pretty sceptical on how well they work. I see guys take chances and wonder if their pics give a false sense of security.
I know lots of guys carry them, I'm sure there are videos, I'd like to hear from someone who has used them.
I haven’t used them but a couple years ago I watched a guy go in. He was a bigger fella also and he couldn’t get out. I tossed him my picks and he climbed right out with the pics. Once we got to shore he thanked me and said there is no way he could have gotten out without them. I’m a very firm believer in them after watching and talking to him.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:38 PM »

I also probably saved a guys life a couple years ago with my picks. He got too close to a steel wall that heated up in the sun and created thin ice and went through. I was a ways away and watched him flailing in the water trying to grip the ice to pull himself out, to no avail. I rushed over and slid my picks across the ice to him and he pulled himself out right away. I'm a firm believer that they work. For $5-10, why not carry a set just in case.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #34 on: Jan 17, 2020, 04:07 AM »
Glad you are safe. It’s a quick and real reminder how fast things can turn bad. Been thinking about testing my float suit and getting out of ice at work. Gravel pit testing facility, new ice over 40’ of water foreman standing by with rope. Will post results maybe even a video no picks will be used
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.