Author Topic: My little crappie and perch jigs  (Read 2162 times)

Offline peterk1234

• IceShanty Rookie
My little crappie and perch jigs
« on: Jan 11, 2020, 09:14 PM »
Thought I would share.  I have these 1/32 ounce jigs I use during the summer with tiny plastics.  Decided to tie some bucktail on them.  Man, have the perch and crappie been enjoying them.   Nothing special and not particularly pretty but they have been quite effective.  And they are indestructible, even when the slime darts hit'em.    Pete

Offline emmettid

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: My little crappie and perch jigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2020, 09:34 PM »
they should work just fine

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2020, 06:25 PM »
I just did something  similar with jig heads and some buck tail just used a different color thread. Hoping they work around me.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2020, 04:49 PM »
Great idea!  Clouser minnows and other buck-tail based flies absolutely crush the pike during open-water season...stands to reason that fish would like it through the ice as well.  I quit tying my streamers with marabou and rabbit and converted to bucktail tied like a clouser or reverse-tied (aka hollow-tied).  I love the way it breathes and undulates in the water.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:28 PM »
Great idea!  Clouser minnows and other buck-tail based flies absolutely crush the pike during open-water season...stands to reason that fish would like it through the ice as well.  I quit tying my streamers with marabou and rabbit and converted to bucktail tied like a clouser or reverse-tied (aka hollow-tied).  I love the way it breathes and undulates in the water.
Any pics? I am new to tying and would like to learn.

Offline riverfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:06 PM »
 Are you using these for ice fishing? If you are do you tip them at all? Thanks

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2020, 10:24 PM »
I need to find a few blue jay feathers...and tie them into jigs.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:32 PM »
Any pics? I am new to tying and would like to learn.

My apologies for the crappy picture and the un-sophisticated looking streamers.  These were my prototypes/modifications of Andreas Andersson's "Delivery Man" which employs the reverse-tied bucktail method.  It's an articulated streamer tied with the bucktail tips facing forward and then folded back/wrapped over itself with thread.  I do a few different things with the head, have since tied them more sparsely (less hair), but love the overall profile created with that tying method.  It creates a bulky looking fly with minimal material.  Best of all, it's feather-weight since it doesn't soak up water like other streamer materials and sheds what little it has on every cast...can cast the thing with a 5 wt.

Credit Where Credit is Due: (Andersson's video mentioned above)

Offline peterk1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:47 PM »
I need to find a few blue jay feathers...and tie them into jigs.

I am using them through the ice.  Crappie and perch have been hitting them hard.  They are not tipped with anything. 

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2020, 09:02 AM »
I tie as small as 1/100 oz ball head jigs. Use mostly 1/64 oz only go smaller if fish get picky. I use nickel and gold plated heads primarily. In ice fishing over the years. I have discovered that less is more. In that most of ice fishing jigs are tied with a sparse of material.

I have a custom made mold that can use bigger hooks on the teeny heads. Which really helps in getting the slab crappies through the ice. will post a few pix if anyone interested enough.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:50 AM »
hays; yes, please post pics. most interested to see what you,re talking about. thank you, wire

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2020, 03:04 PM »
OK will post pics soon as it warms up a mite. Have to wear my ice fishing garb if I tried today. ;D
G.E.F.M

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2020, 03:27 PM »
Found a pic of these little " killers " I made a few years back. Not feathers but bits and pieces of stuff. Just trying to show what I meant by less is more.

Those are 1/64 oz jigs that are in middle of two circles of lures. To give idea of actual size.
G.E.F.M

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2020, 04:45 PM »
Found a pic of these little " killers " I made a few years back. Not feathers but bits and pieces of stuff. Just trying to show what I meant by less is more.
Those are 1/64 oz jigs that are in middle of two circles of lures. To give idea of actual size.

They look very similar to a fly of Spanish origin called the "Perdigon" used in the world of tight-line nymphing.  They epitomize the concept of less is more.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2020, 02:29 AM »
Thanks, gonna give those a try this weekend.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2020, 08:20 AM »
thank you for the pics. i,m gonna tie some of those up for spring time iceout crappie. wire

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.