New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Caught cheating  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Iceyvein

• Team IceShanty Regular
Caught cheating
« on: Mar 01, 2019, 11:53 AM »
https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2019/02/angler-ticketed-scamming-great-sacandaga-fishing-derby.html

"The ECOs reported that they located tip-ups that had been left out overnight unoccupied, a violation of Environmental Conservation Law. The officers say they also found a 32-inch northern pike being kept alive and stored in the ice next to an unoccupied fishing shanty.

Believing that the fish might be entered into one of the contests, ECOs Hilliard and Keith Kelly returned to the shanty the next morning to interview the angler about leaving his tip-ups unattended. When asked about his luck fishing that day, the ECO’s say the angler said that he caught a big northern pike earlier in the morning, entered it in the contest, and released it. The ECOs reported that the angler admitted to the wrongdoings after being informed that they had been out the previous night."

Glad they caught them, but it makes you wonder how often this happens

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Caught cheating
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:07 PM »
I'm sure it happens quite often, lots of derbies have some big prizes anymore. Unfortunately because of one person's actions, that'll be a black eye for the ice fishing community. That guy should lose his hunting and fishing license for awhile, obviously not much of a sportsman.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:21 PM »
It's sad what some guys will do for a package of auger blades or a new transducer for the vex. At the expense of an 11 year old
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:29 PM »
MONO_MONO, you sir are spot on !
I am haunted by waters...

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:31 PM »
They ought to fine them, take away their privileges and post their picture everywhere licenses are sold!
I agree

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:33 PM »
They should bring criminal action this guy.. maybe the anti fishing tournament people are right..?? 

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:56 PM »
He was ticketed for the unattended lines and the pike was disqualified
I doubt he will ever be allowed to entire that tournament under that name again

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2019, 01:40 PM »
He was ticketed for the unattended lines and the pike was disqualified
I doubt he will ever be allowed to entire that tournament under that name again
Yes, unfortunately he will be able to use a fake name or have wife or kid enter next time, fine and disqualification is not enough.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2019, 01:54 PM »
Note that his fish wasn't close to winning, the top 4 fish were all over 35".

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Wow, cheating to lose, that makes it worthwhile.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2019, 03:34 PM »
If he had pouched out of season or had under size fish or over limit, he could have had his fishing and hunting privileges taken away.  For the unattended lines he probably only got a fine and a warning.  He is still a poor sportsman.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2019, 03:45 PM »
If he had pouched out of season or had under size fish or over limit, he could have had his fishing and hunting privileges taken away.  For the unattended lines he probably only got a fine and a warning.  He is still a poor sportsman.
Yes, a very poor sportsman.

Offline Iceyvein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:39 PM »
I'm on board with everyone here.... Poor example of sportsmen.... There should be a cheaters registry for all the tourneys to access and report if someone is caught, that way they can be barred from others.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:44 PM »
I'm on board with everyone here.... Poor example of sportsmen.... There should be a cheaters registry for all the tourneys to access and report if someone is caught, that way they can be barred from others.

That's a great idea, I think loss of hunting/fishing privelages should be part of the punishment also.

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2019, 05:47 PM »
If he cheats in a tournament, fishing or hunting without a licence would not stop him from fishing or hunting..

Offline redshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2019, 03:26 PM »
Tagging off what Old Timer said.   People get DWI’s or lose their license and keep driving.  Authority and rules mean nothing.     I have heard it said that people like them have to go through their whole life being themselves and that’s their penalty!!!   

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2019, 03:48 PM »
Does anyone know if he is a Ice Shanty member? if so, his account should be closed as we don't want him being associated with this site.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2019, 03:59 PM »
This is why I'm soured on tournaments in general.

Offline ktruman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2019, 06:07 PM »
When there is money involved.......unfortu nate things happen......even when fishing is mid-winter tough, every bracket seems to have a fish entered when there is money involved.......only way to do it is shotgun start each day from one location, with inspections.  Down by me, Saturday derbies start at 5 pm pm Friday, with levewells drilled into the ice......unfortunate.. .....these events should be about fellowship and appreciation of great fisheries.....instead we see what happens in some cases. embarrassing.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2019, 06:10 PM »
most derbies are for good causes and to see a few ruin it for everyone is a shame i dont know what they get out of it but its a black eye for the derbies and a very poor example for families. jeez go out there and have fun what the heck you get out of cheating.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2019, 06:59 PM »
I would only fish kids prize derbies myself these days.
Derbies are a good community funding but highly competitive when the stakes are high.
I used to fish local,  regional,  and national bass tournaments in the 80-90's  both Am , pro Am and Pro.
That burned me out and put a sour taste for me on competitive fishing for adults.
Back then we had to submit to a lie detector test,  crazy stuff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.