Author Topic: Maine tipup tip    (Read 5233 times)

Russ Shoberg -Maine

Maine tipup tip  
« on: May 02, 2002, 05:10 PM »
Author  Subject: Maine tipup tip  
Russ Shoberg  Posted At 09:26:44 05/09/2000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Maine the most popular types of tip ups (called "traps" here) are the Thompson, the Moosehead, the Heritage, and what we call "Factor X" traps. I think that most are made here in Maine. Very few folks hereuse Igloo or Polar. They lean to lots of braided line (50+ yds) with a 5-15 ft mono leader of an appropriate poundage for your target fish.Target fish are usually togue (Lake trout in the Great Lakes region),browns or brook trout, splake, and landlocked salmon (version of Atlantic salmon, native to the Sebago lake region of Maine). Folks fishing non-trouty waters also take chain pickerel and largemouth & smallmouth bass on traps. Having moved from the UP of MI to Maine, it's a similar sort of place. However, the fishing is different as far as what to catch and how to do it.
Having a ball here in New England.

Trisha Frost

Re: Maine tipup tip  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2002, 07:16 AM »
Have you ever heard of the tipnspin tip ups.  If so could you tell me where I could find them?
I have been looking everywhere for these traps that I once saw at a few stores here in Maine.  Please Help
Thanks!

Offline Russellman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2002, 04:06 PM »
Trisha,
I had no luck at www.tipup.com (the website worked last year).  Check out the Northwoods Sporting Journal.  If Tip-n-Spin is still out there, they usually advertise in the paper.
Good luck.
Russellman

Ice_Spirit

« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2002, 04:41 PM »
I too searched the web for them, no luck, I was going to buy some last year when I seen them on the web but didn't.  I'll keep trying to find them for you and let you know when I do, they must still be out there some where.  Until next time, take care and good luck this season. ;D

Trisha

« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2002, 07:31 AM »
Thanks guys for your help.  I'll keep check out that journal.  

Ice_Dog

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2002, 06:41 PM »
Between my father and I we have about two dozen heritage and fish trap tip-ups.  The heritage tip-ups are very pricey up here in Vermont they run for about $25 each.  Even though these are expensive they are worth it.  They never fail even when I am fishing in -20 degree weather. :)

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2003, 04:23 AM »
Ice Dog,
Where are you from? I can tell you a place in Burlington that has Heritage Lakers for $16.99. Go to my website and there is an add on the main page. If you get some...tell Jim I sent you......he will charge you double..lol

Bob

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2003, 10:01 AM »
Trisha, check under the "tip-n-spin" thread. One of the guys posted a place in Winthrop ME where you can get them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.