Author Topic: Has anyone made a tip up box???  (Read 9198 times)

Offline TEAMGRIPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
Has anyone made a tip up box???
« on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Recently I overheard a few guys talking about outside boxes(also called ti up boxes).  From what I gathered they were definitely used to catch fish but I had no idea what the heck they were talking about.  Looking around on the internet I found a few pics and frankly I was embarrassed that I had never seen one of these.  This was about a week ago and ever since I have been plagued with thoughts of how I will make mine.  Well two days ago I found ICESHANTY and cannot wait to hear what you guy have to say. 

First...Can I post a link to a product if I'm not promoting it?  I want to know what you guys think of one of the few you can buy on the internet.  I sure as heck ain't buyin one, this will just give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

The principal behind them is so simple yet in my opinion brilliant.  The problem I have is not wanting to steal an idea from the one on the internet!

Here is where my new friends at SHANTY are gonna help me.  First let me know if I can post a link for a product and you guys will know what the heck I'm rambling about.
的 am, Sir, a brother of the angle" - Sir Izaak Walton

surflizard

Re: Has anyone made a tip up box???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:23 PM »
People post links to different gear and suppliers to help other guys find it. I'm curious to see this too, I've never heard of them either. Let er rip !

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:35 PM »
I saw one on e-bay. It looked like a homemade one. I'm sticking with my normal tip-ups. They work well and will take up less space, which is very valuable.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline TEAMGRIPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:52 PM »
This is a new one but apparently guys have been making them forever. 

The whole point of these this to number ONE keep your hole from freezing, number TWO give the fish line without much resistance.

With a little help from us this could be the perfect tip up

http://www.boxtipups.com/

Offline TEAMGRIPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2011, 09:01 PM »
I already know exactly how I will make mine except for one part.  The one on the website has the shaft of the flag rest on the handle with a slide weight on it to adjust sensitivity.

This is a brilliant idea but I want mine to be different for obvious reasons.  I have spent a week tryin to come up with something different that will work as good but I'm stumped.

Watch the video and tell me what you think.  I will use that system if I have to but I really don't want to. 

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2011, 12:21 AM »
I have seen similar "box tip-ups"..  Looks easy enough to build and should work ok.. 
As for changing the trigger mechanism.. I'd have to give that some thought .. looks like the one that is being used should work good.. not sure of why you wanna change it.  The spool (fly reel) handle is already there to be used..  Just be sure not to set it too lite or the counterweight might not lift the flag..   
In anycase, it would be a fun project to build.. If you can find some cheap / free wood I think you could do it really cheap too.   My only problem would be the size of it.. lugging around 4 -5 of those would take up a lot of space..

Offline TEAMGRIPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2011, 01:01 AM »
Not real big on using or reverse engineering another mans ideas!  I personally would rather come up with something on my own.

Here in MN we only get 2 lines, I'm only tryin to build one.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2011, 01:25 AM »
cool videos
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2011, 03:40 AM »
Figuring out how to reduce the line tension on your current tip-ups would be much more productive.

Offline hertzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If some is good, then more is better!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2011, 04:25 AM »
The fly reel they used you can get from Walart for $20 or so. Looks like a great idea, i just don't like the size. Here in Ct, we can have 6 lines in the water. I'd hate to see the slled that woud carry 5 or 6 of those suckers! Nice idea though, good luck on your buid, and keep us updated on your progress.  :tipup:
Brute force and ignorance with over come fear and common sense!

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2011, 05:57 AM »
Brother in law uses boxes. Can of charcoal burning in the corner to keep the hole open, rattle reel, brazing rod for the flag, and a small limit switch and light for a night beacon. He used to use them on Green Bay for perch. He said in the wind the hole says open, and no wind trips. But, they are a bit bulky. His are 1/2 inch plywood.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2011, 10:54 AM »
i have a similar box tipup with candle and a battery operated jigger. havent used it in a while, its bulky to pack. must be maybe 15 years old, maybe a little more. maybe break it out again this year

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2011, 01:08 PM »
this is the one i have

Offline Fish plunger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2011, 08:44 AM »
Hi guys, I see alot of people asking about box tip ups. As far as the rig your talking about I do have three of them and love them. I started out buying one and trying to build the other two and found it to be possible, however it took alot of time. In my opinion, my time was better spent on the ice. As far as them being bulky, I too had worries about that but found that putting them in a standard sled works great. I think the thing I like the most about them is how little work they are to fish with. Thay are never tangled like the under water rigs I used to use and the hole is always open. I never have wind trips because all the  stuff is inside. I do alot of crappie, perch, and walleye fishing and found that the flag trip on these is so much more sensitive that it makes a huge difference on the tuff days. Which is more often than not on the lakes I fish on.I would have to say that although expensive, they are worth it and highly doubt you will regret buying them. Im saving up to buy some more for my kids.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2011, 11:17 AM »
I am always suprised when I hear people wanting more sensativity from thier equipment. In the winter, I almost exclusively fish for perch, and I use tip ups all the time. I have all Heritage Lakers which are said to be less than ideal for panfish. I fail to see why? I make sure they are all greased properly, all the hardware is flawless (I polish the stainless steel hardware) and make sure the plastic reels (I perfer the plastic over the aluminum becasue it's smoother).
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2011, 12:22 PM »
I am always suprised when I hear people wanting more sensativity from thier equipment. In the winter, I almost exclusively fish for perch, and I use tip ups all the time. I have all Heritage Lakers which are said to be less than ideal for panfish. I fail to see why? I make sure they are all greased properly, all the hardware is flawless (I polish the stainless steel hardware) and make sure the plastic reels (I perfer the plastic over the aluminum becasue it's smoother).

the heritage laker will catch more fish if you file that release clip down so that it releases smoother, i just twisted it down with pliers and it improves hookups by a long shot. if there are any trout where your catching perch your incidental trout catch will go way up and you will get less bait drops. i dont see it being a problem with perch hookups other than the flag wont trip as it should as often.

Offline TEAMGRIPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2011, 01:12 PM »
For me the big thing is keeping my hole open, I like the idea of being able to leave it alone for long periods at a time.  The sensativity is just a bonus and I really want to change the trigger mechanism so I'm not completely copying the one on the internet.

When my permanent is on panfish I want this thing set up near by for Pike, when I'm on Walleyes I want to use it to try a different depth than the 6-8 guest lines that are normally down in the shanty.  Here in Minnesota you only get 2 lines each and we drive on the ice so I'm not worried about the size or weight.

Thanks for the input!  I started making mine, I'll post pictures soon.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2011, 06:23 PM »
Hi guys, I see alot of people asking about box tip ups. As far as the rig your talking about I do have three of them and love them. I started out buying one and trying to build the other two and found it to be possible, however it took alot of time. In my opinion, my time was better spent on the ice. As far as them being bulky, I too had worries about that but found that putting them in a standard sled works great. I think the thing I like the most about them is how little work they are to fish with. Thay are never tangled like the under water rigs I used to use and the hole is always open. I never have wind trips because all the  stuff is inside. I do alot of crappie, perch, and walleye fishing and found that the flag trip on these is so much more sensitive that it makes a huge difference on the tuff days. Which is more often than not on the lakes I fish on.I would have to say that although expensive, they are worth it and highly doubt you will regret buying them. Im saving up to buy some more for my kids.

maybe you should sponsor the site?  ::) UNADULTERATED!

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2011, 09:55 PM »
Last year we made some, just like the one in the video except we took it a notch further. Ours just sat over a normal tip up but the front of the box was a clear window so you could see in. We put a halogen and a small battery inside. At night, when the flag would go up it would trigger the switch and turn the light on. No more wondering if your flags are up and having to go out and check with a flashlight. This way we could spend more time jigging and all we had to do was look out the window to see if the light was on. If it is, all you have to do is lift the box off and you have light while you pull the fish, rebait and reset. Back to the warmth of the shanty. Very cool but not really marketable because they take up to much space. If two guys took two apiece then you wouldnt have room for anything else.

They are cool if you live on the lake though ;) ;D ;D ;)
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline the fishing gene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2011, 07:29 AM »
Man where have I been? Never heard of such a thing, great idea, Although it is just one more thing fighting for space on my sled. The automatic jigging option in the The Finnicky Fish Factory is a nice option.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2011, 01:13 AM »
I have a finicky fish factory and I love it...I also got the auto jigger called 'the motovator' for the hardside. We'll see....

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:44 AM »
Its an ok idea but they are huge lol plus all the other stuff you have to carry like a torch and charcoal candles no thanks  ;D
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:40 PM »
NY can have 5 lines alot of boxes to put on a sled and not to mention the price, looks cool but the stuff I have works just fine. Rather spend the dough on electronics.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:27 PM »
For me the big thing is keeping my hole open, I like the idea of being able to leave it alone for long periods at a time.  The sensativity is just a bonus and I really want to change the trigger mechanism so I'm not completely copying the one on the internet.

When my permanent is on panfish I want this thing set up near by for Pike, when I'm on Walleyes I want to use it to try a different depth than the 6-8 guest lines that are normally down in the shanty.  Here in Minnesota you only get 2 lines each and we drive on the ice so I'm not worried about the size or weight.

Thanks for the input!  I started making mine, I'll post pictures soon.

Any progress ? 

Offline yoslick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jul 06, 2012, 03:14 PM »

Slick!!
DCC(SW/MTS) US Navy retired 75-95

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jul 06, 2012, 04:15 PM »
Looks good yoslick !  Now why didn't I think of that ??  LOL

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Aug 22, 2012, 07:02 AM »
Pretty good set up, unfortunately it never gets cold enough to make it worth it down here though  :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.