Author Topic: Pierce Lake - Rock Cut State Park  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Schooley88

• IceShanty Rookie
Pierce Lake - Rock Cut State Park
« on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Looking for somewhere in N. Illinois to plan a weekend trip. Pierce lake caught my eye. Has anyone had any success through the ice on it? Or if anyone has any other suggestions for lakes in N. Illinois I would appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Offline Schooley88

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Pierce Lake - Rock Cut State Park
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:27 PM »
I'm located in the Peoria area. So my hope is to find something a few hours north that will lock up a little sooner than the stuff around here.

Offline boscolab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:19 AM »
Shabbona is probably a better lake. And a bit closer. The no motor zone seems to be the spot that most people hit first. Of course it does freeze sooner too. 
If I had a penny for every time, people thought they would get rich from getting pennys for every thing they claim they do or hear, over and over again, I would be richer than Richy Rich.
HUH?

Offline Tubes77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:58 PM »
I've never ice fished Pierce lake but I've fished it in the summer quite a few times.  It's not bad, but does not have the fish that Shabbona has by any means.  The problem with Shabban is that it can be a difficult lake to learn because of its size and it varied structure.  With that said, it produces very good crappie, good gills and nice walleye (for some people, just not me..LOL) at a pretty consistent rate.  The other word of caution is that due to geese and currents, ice can vary in thickness quite a bit too, so be careful when you're out.  If you want some specific spots to try, I would try the deep trees straight out from the bait shop (30-40 FOW) the cribs along the shoreline in front of the cabins, and my personal favorite, the entire length of the old road bed, but especially over the old road bridge.

Offline Schooley88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Hey, thanks a lot fellas. I appreciate the advice and think I may have to make a trip up that way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.