Author Topic: Copper  (Read 951 times)

Offline fishinguy76

• IceShanty Rookie
Copper
« on: Oct 26, 2017, 07:49 AM »
Hello,

Dos anyone use copper jigs? When and why? What about spoons?

I was given a bunch of these and I’m just curious if they are any good.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Copper
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2017, 08:25 AM »
I tie several different copper jigs for my own use. My favorite is different variations of copper john flies. I will often cut a slit in a .22 bb and solder it onto a #12 or #14 nymph hook and tie the rest with marabou and copper wire. They work great on the pannies and the gills won't leave them alone.

Offline fishinguy76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2017, 12:18 PM »
Could you post a photo? I also tie my own flies and to date, I have not found a succuesful I’ve fly. I keep trying but failing.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2017, 01:14 PM »
Sorry, I can't do pictures on my computer because of the firewalls. But if you google copper john fly recipes I'm sure you'll come up with something. It's an easy fly to tie. I really didn't use the exact recipe for it, basically just used what I had on hand... I don't think the fish can really tell ;)

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2017, 04:41 PM »
I regularly use copper-colored lures as an attractor about 36" above my bait, fishing for trout.  Favorites are a Colorado spinner blade or 1/8 oz. Kastmaster.  My dad used to use copper colored colorados when stream fishing for trout, which is where I got the idea.

I'm convinced it works, but maybe I'm just superstitious.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.