Author Topic: in search of perch  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Tracya

• IceShanty Rookie
in search of perch
« on: Jan 26, 2007, 01:06 PM »
I've been fishing Buckskins and having fair luck on gills and crappie.  Would like to find perch though and was wondering if anyone knows where some are in NE Nebraska.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
Re: in search of perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2007, 03:16 PM »
Hmmmm....tall order here.  There are perch in Goose lake and in the refuge lakes.  Given you fish buckskin you are probably with me here in the Wayne area.  There are some good perch lakes in Iowa...namely Trumbull, Spirit, West Boji isn't bad at times.

I'm a perch freak...love it.  Problem with Spirit and the IGL's (as with a lot of lakes) is that the AVERAGE year class is not very large.  Thats why I headed to Waubay...the perch there are great (on average)...sorting is very minimal...we had 3 that were too small??  Kept 10 each total in 3 days and threw back about twice that for release...I kept them in my camera only!  LOL  It's amazing how much you get in fillets off of 20 perch and 6 walleyes...but some of them were so close to being wall hangers we put them on a tape, on the scale, then back into the water.  Next winter, they could be nuclear size as in 1.75 pounders.  So I'm going back.  But if you need to stay in NE due to license or whatever...Goose has some perch but they are a bit smaller and not exactly plentiful....yet.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2007, 09:10 AM »
I have not tried for them throught the ice, but while fly fishing Ogallala the last two years we have caught a ton of perch! I would love to make the trip out  there and try to catch some of them throught the ice.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!! Fish On!!

Offline duckhuntrrus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2007, 05:44 PM »
The perch at ogallala are pretty small.  I caught a couple of nice fish, but I had to sort through a lot of them to find the nicer fish.  I would bet in 2 years, the little lake will have some trophys.
Matt
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat or on the ice and drink beer all day.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:20 PM »
Sounds like they are catching some nice ones but having to sort to get them.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!! Fish On!!

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2007, 07:24 AM »
Willow Lake south of Ainsworth is kicking out some perch. I think they are having a tourney there Feb 24th.

dc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.