Author Topic: Easy Perch/Walleye Chowder  (Read 3464 times)

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
Easy Perch/Walleye Chowder
« on: Jan 31, 2015, 10:32 PM »
I'm sure the New England guys are gonna jump on me for posting a chowder recipe but I made it tonight and thought some people might want to try it, especially with the superbowl coming up.

If anyone has ideas to improve it please let me know! I'm open to suggestions!

This is a great recipe because it only takes about 40 minutes and you don't really have to cook anything.  These ingredients can be adjusted however it's mostly a guess for me until it tastes good anyways.

Needed:
1. Couple lbs (2-3) of some white meat fish (I prefer perch or walleye) but I'm sure any white meat will work.  I could see catfish being really good.
2. 2 quarts of half and half creamer.
3. 24 oz of chicken broth.
4. 12 oz of condensed milk or 18 oz of regular milk 1% or higher.
5. 10 medium russet potatoes.
6. 2 small sweet onions.
7. Butter

Heat the pressure cooker and put 2 tbsp of butter (I use Amish butter WI) in the bottom, chop the onions and brown them in the pressure cooker.

Peel and chop the potatoes and mix them in with the onions. Add the chicken broth and milk and frozen filets.  Make sure the fish is boneless and skinless.

Set the pressure cooker to the appropriate temp and pressure, cook for 8-10 depending on how much fish you include.

Let the pressure cooker pressure come down on it's own, 20-30 minutes.  After it has equaled pressure add in the half and half, let the pressure cooker come to temperature.  Add in some salt and pepper to taste and let the chowder thicken.

If it is not getting any thicker add some regular flour or corn starch to the mix to make it thicker.  Be careful not to starch it too much or you'll end up with a gelatinous mass!

I usually bake some crescent rolls or dinner rolls to go with, it's a house favorite! Get's the GF off my back when I want to go perchin! ;)

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Easy Perch/Walleye Chowder
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2015, 05:30 AM »
Sounds good, if you want to kick it up a notch use only the walleye scallops.
Another member on here and his GF made some NE chowder last year using only the scallops; it was delicious!
You need to catch quite a few eyes though to make about 5 gal. of it!   ;)  ;D

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2015, 05:56 AM »
Nice write up and pictures!

Thanks!

WS

Offline myemmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:02 PM »
A must try, thanks.

Offline fishnhunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2015, 04:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing that with us looks real good. Im hngry wish i had sum now... ;) figures i bought a new chirp 5 sonar and 1000 spikes and we r buried in deep snow here in ma and nh area...tuff gettin arnd...even sleds suk in this stuff

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:09 AM »
Sounds great!!  I use Clam Juice instead of Chicken Broth for a more New England taste....

Offline loneranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:11 AM »
that's good stuff I also like to use pickerel fillets baked first and the bones are easy to get out and the pickerel also mixes up nice like tuna fish also for sandwiches                 the best eats are the ones we collect ourselves

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.