Author Topic: Who Has Fallen Through Ice  (Read 2006 times)

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who Has Fallen Through Ice
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Who has fallen through the ice and has lived to fish again? Curious to know what the ice and weather conditions were and what circumstances contributed if any.

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Who Has Fallen Through Ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:59 AM »
I've been through twice, both in Maine in March after warm weather. Once by myself, once with a friend. By far being all alone was scariest. I got out twice only to have ice give way under me both time, then my legs starting curling under ice, fingers were raw from "grabbing" at ice, finally got out and rolled and rolled until I got on "safe" ice.
I strongly suggest that all NEW and maybe old timers ice fishermen/women review SAFETY videos on what to do when breaking through the ice, they are very helpful.
NEVER think it won't happen to you......that was my mistake.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:01 PM »
Only once up to my knees coming off the ice. Glad I had an extra set of socks in the truck.
<===Lefty===

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:05 PM »
I forgot, Ice from previous day was still 5-7 inches in the hole from I fished the day before where I first got onto the body of water. I took three steps into deeper water and went through. Apparently there is a spring there that I was unaware of.
Second time was all wrong from beginning. Ice was punky with soft slush at shore line, I knew better but my buddy was confident. Half way out top layer gave way to one foot and as my buddy was drilling to check ice thickness, second foot and whole body went all the way through.. My season now ends first week of March, if weather is good.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:12 PM »
the only time ive went thru where  it was dangerous and over my head was when I was much younger/dumber  walking onto the ice off the end of a dock.never did it again.buddy threw me a  rope from the dock..the spud has kept me top side for 25 years since that happened.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:37 PM »
My brother and I fished for trout in a harbor in downtown MKE. We got there at about 5am to get a spot where we wanted, it was about 15°. About 4pm we packed up to go and headed back over to the break wall to climb our gear out. I got within about 10ft from the ladder and fell straight through pulling a sled and carrying a bucket. I let go of the sled and lurched forward just enough to grab a rung of the ladder as I was dropping.

I climbed out, soaked from head to toe, still had the bucket in my hand, but the sled was a goner.

Lesson learned. The sun came out and heated the steel break wall to the point of melting the ice within a few feet of it.

This is what the walls and ladder look like.....

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Fallen through twice ice fishing in April on a large reservoir, had my Striker Ice suit on both times and can attest to the fact that it is buoyant. Was close to shore both times, but the water would have been over my head. The main factors that contributed to me going through were fishing "last ice" and not realizing just how fast the ice conditions can change on a large body of water.

You could literally head out first thing in the morning and could go a mile or two across the ice, but after a sunny spring day and wind, that same ice was extremely dangerous on the way back. The tell tale sign should have been the condition of the ice when I drilled a hole. It was 8" of ice but the ice was "candled ice" and large "candle shaped" crystals was what I got when I drilled a hole, if this is the case the ice is not safe. Additionally, if you are on weak or thin ice it almost feels like walking on a trampoline, until you go through.

Here is what candled ice looks like, far different than safe ice:

Offline FishinDude0901

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 01:13 PM »
Went through with my father fishing a local pond in NY years back. Bad ice fishing year and we were itching to get out. Finally had a week plus nice cold snap to firm things up. began to walk out and instantly knew something wasn't right. Not far from shore, my dad was the first to go and me instantly following. Could not touch. I was able to get out very fast but my dad struggled and the ice he attempted to use to loft himself up, continued to give way. Finally found a solid spot and left real quick. amazed that all our gear/sled remained safe on the ice. Huge lesson learned. You just have to look at each body of water as an individual. They all can freeze so much different.
Jiggin' Like A Fool

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 01:54 PM »
I fell through this year. Went in to just above my waste. Never touched bottom so I think my I-float bibs from Frabill worked. I was able to pull my self out and get to my truck fairly quickly. made for a miserable drive home because I forgot extra clothes. Lesson learned. Was a very windy miserable day and was leaving the ice when it happened. Hit a soft spot between spud wacks and fell straight down.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline SHUBA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shuba
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:25 PM »
About 27 years ago I lived in the metro -Detroit  area
well was going out in the dark am with a buddy  and young lad (was his first time on ice )
there was approx. 2ft of black ice with no snow at all .In those days all had perm shanties on ice
well they would cut long rectangle holes in ice and set decoys to spear large pike ,well I walked over a old hole
that had refroze about 6 inches solid well the piece broke and I went straight down under the ice in total darkness
let me tell you very scary feeling and look under the ice could not see the hole all looked the same
What saved me was the chunk that broke and went down with me, was like a giant ice cube it hit me between
my inner thigh and groin (had a bruise that lasted for few weeks, sore as hell) When I made back to the top of hard water
I did not to ruin companions I was with fishing day so when we made it to our shanty got stove started stripped down to
 undies hung clothes and fished all day they fished outside and I stayed in to warm ,dry my clothes and lick my wounds lol
VERY SCARY MOMENT but those were the days brings back lot of memories have not thought of in years

STAY SAFE AND FISH HARD WATER
Shuba<br />Hardwater Fanatic

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Yup multiple times. Each time sucked just as much as thr last. Worst/most dangerous  wasnt even fishing. Was out coyote hunting crossed a beaver pond with snow shoes fine. Forgot to set up decoy with caller walked back across without snowshoee as i had taken em off to sit.. fell down thru snow into n unfrozen pond up to my balls. Was quite cold like -20C at thr time. Luckily i was only about 1km from the car ..i was a brick fron the waist down by time i got there. Took a week for by junk to come back from hiding lmfao
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:32 PM »
When I was a kid I went through the swamp behind my parents house.  Up to my chest, but touching the bottom and was able to scoot out.  Must have been late March and we had just got home from a trip - the snow was all gone and the ice looked far to inviting. 

I think I was too young to really be scared by what happened but when I got to the house soaked and slowing freezing over stinking from the swamp water my mother certainly found a way to put some fear into me.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:33 PM »
When I was a kid I went through the swamp behind my parents house.  Up to my chest, but touching the bottom and was able to scoot out.  Must have been late March and we had just got home from a trip - the snow was all gone and the ice looked far to inviting. 

I think I was too young to really be scared by what happened but when I got to the house soaked and slowing freezing over stinking from the swamp water my mother certainly found a way to put some fear into me.

Circumstance:  Being a dumb kid!
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:45 PM »
I fell in a couple of years ago while trying to save two of my buddies that also fell in. We were fishing on mostly 4"-5" of ice. It was a slow day of fishing so two of my buddies started popping holes to find the fish in and area that just iced over. They spudded their way out but got careless on the way back and fell in. I was about 75 yards away in my shack nice and toasty when I heard the distress call. Looked out and saw them in the water fighting to get out with their ice picks but the ice kept breaking. I immediately grabbed my sled walked over and called 911 and told him where we were at. I kept inching closer to my buddy with the sled so he can hold on to it. The ice under me cracked and I went in for a good 1 minute before another fisherman helped me out with my sled. The firefighter rescuers came within 20 minutes and saved my friends. They had been in the water for a good 15 minutes. We got treated for hypothermia and was released. It was a hard lesson learned that day and I did my best to help out my friends even though I also put myself at risk.

http://www.andovertownsman.com/news/local_news/chief-ice-rescue-could-have-been-a-recovery/article_1e6c9797-588e-59ad-9389-4d455df246a4.html

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:10 PM »
Twice. Once when I was still new to ice fishing in my teens I ventured on ice after heavy rains not realizing that water erodes old holes. Luckily when I went through the ice it was only 4 feet deep. The other time was when I was out small game hunting and ventured too close to a beaver lodge. Learned that beavers keep the ice thin by their lodge. Luckily it was only about 2 feet deep where I went in but a 2 my walk back to my vehicle.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:54 PM »
Went in 2 yrs ago with my grandson, he’s 19, and we couldn’t get out with our picks.  Warm late Feb day and ice was rotten.  We fished for about 5 hrs and dropped in on way off.  Ice kept breaking when we hit the picks and had to be rescued, were in water for about 30mins.  Kept overnight in hospital for hypothermia.  Now have striker suit and still always carry my picks and still try to be very careful after 77 years.

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:04 PM »
About 27 years ago I lived in the metro -Detroit  area
well was going out in the dark am with a buddy  and young lad (was his first time on ice )
there was approx. 2ft of black ice with no snow at all .In those days all had perm shanties on ice
well they would cut long rectangle holes in ice and set decoys to spear large pike ,well I walked over a old hole
that had refroze about 6 inches solid well the piece broke and I went straight down under the ice in total darkness
let me tell you very scary feeling and look under the ice could not see the hole all looked the same
What saved me was the chunk that broke and went down with me, was like a giant ice cube it hit me between
my inner thigh and groin (had a bruise that lasted for few weeks, sore as hell) When I made back to the top of hard water
I did not to ruin companions I was with fishing day so when we made it to our shanty got stove started stripped down to
 undies hung clothes and fished all day they fished outside and I stayed in to warm ,dry my clothes and lick my wounds lol
VERY SCARY MOMENT but those were the days brings back lot of memories have not thought of in years

STAY SAFE AND FISH HARD WATER

Wow that is very scary. Glad you made it out okay.

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:09 PM »
Twice. Once as a kid of 10, I must have got too close to the springs we were fishing and went in to my waist.  I wasn't that cold but they took me home right away.  The second time was about 16 years ago...and I wasn't being stupid or anything.  The ice was 12" or so.  I had been out a few times but wasn't that familiar with the reservoir.  I was walking around an island, there was a little snow on the ice, and there were people were around.  All of sudden I was in the water to my neck.  Never touched bottom.  Bucket was on the ice in front of me.  I was able to get my foot up on the back edge of ice and more forward onto thick ice.  Blood was coming from my face.  I must have hit my chin on the thick ice in front of me when I fell - and bit through my lower lip.  I didn't understand what had happened even afterwards.  Why was there a hole in the ice there?  Since then, I have been become more familiar with the reservoir.  I have noticed a pressure ridge forms on that side of island across to the main lake.  Some years it is visible; some years not.  I must have gone through a gap in the ridge that may have been covered by a little ice and snow.  My wife was several months pregnant at the time.  When I got home covered with blood and wet, she wasn't excited about my choice of recreational endeavors.  Since then, I have acquired a floating suit, picks, and spud.  My now 16 yo son wore a life-jacket when he went.  Not sure I am any smarter though; I still ice fish.

s

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:17 PM »
Me! Back in 1991 fishing the Honey Hole ice hole tournament on Honeoye lake. I went through then a bunch of guys started dropping through some had to be rescued by the state trooper helicopter! Haven't missed a season in 40yrs.. SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:33 PM »
Three years ago I went in but only up to my belly as my arms were straight out and blocked me from going the whole way in. I remained calm and started to take a step and right back in. I told my brother I was okay to keep on fishing and still dry, but then I realized the cold strong wind and air had frozen me and my pants and jacket solid. Needless to say it was a long ride home in my underwear. That was also the last time I went out that year, leaving the fear in me for the next year. Live and learn as they say.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:12 PM »
As a back up to the one person that mentioned it. Take the time and effort to install an  emergency clothes kit in your vehicle . In that kit include a towel or two for drying off and a wool blanket. I have had several hypothermia rescue classes from private and government agencies. Once you are lucky to get out of water the hypothermia becomes your biggest enemy.

Packing another heat source that stays with the kit is not a bad idea either. No such thing as being TOO SAFE.

Once you pack the kit never take it out of your vehicle. As a side note I usually use stuff the wife was going to toss anyway. Us guys have never been all that eager to throw clothes out just because they are showing a little wear. ;D
Same with towels and such. Hopefully you never need the kit.  But iffen.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Who has fallen through the ice and has lived to fish again?

All the ones that are submitting responses.  :P

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Twice, once in April last year trying to put a plank bridge in over the edge that was open. Again this season on early ice in November, while chasing northern MN walleyes I had my hub bag fly in a 30mph gust into a 20' diameter hole of open water in the ice near a point on Lake Vermilion. Was able to spud out to the edge and threw a tie down strap that hooked around it, however as I pulled it out (while laying on my belly trying to disperse my weight) the ice gave way and I'm doing a full forward crawl in Everetts bay in 5 degrees with a 30mph wind! Fortunately I was wearing the Striker Climate suit(floats VERY WELL) and was able to throw an arm and leg on the ice and rolled out in one continuous move that took only seconds. My inner layers of clothing under the Climate suit didn't even get wet! I jumped on my atv and drove the 1.2 miles back to my rv to change clothes and my entire suit front was frozen. Went back out to  my shack, fished my bag out of the water with a pole saw I had in the back of the truck and fished till an hour past dark. As I get ready to leave, the hub bag flies into the open water again! Fished it out again and go to leave and the atv won't start!(now its -10 with a 30mph wind) Pulled my sled by hand back to the toy hauler rv, took my snowmobile out, drove over to the atv and could only get it about halfway back as the track wouldn't grip the glare ice enough to tow the quad all the way back to the launch. Left it locked up to a tree on the bank, and had to half carry half push it back the next morning. I caught 3 cisco that day, some days just dont pay to get out of bed.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:47 PM »
I'm not counting 2ft deep near shore wet feet, I've done that a lot, because lake Erie can change water level by a couple feet some days, and shore ice is always suspicious...

22 years ago...Fell up to my waist in a refroze crack, after walking out 4 miles, my buddy was upset that we had to go back. I said if you think I'm walking back, four miles, this wet, your crazy.. We're fishing at least till I dry out some..

I was rewarded that day for my decision to stay, with my biggest walleye ever (at that time)....

<°)))>{

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:00 PM »
I fell in 3 -4 years ago. Hopewell lake pa.  It was a warm  40 degree january day after it rained. The ice had alot of slush on top. I had walked all the way across the lake. To near the dam breast.  No problem at all. I was cutting holes  & walking with my new gas augar to cut another hole & my next step was like stepping off a ledge. I went right in luckily I shoved my new augar to my side. I hit a soft spot about the size of a car hood. I wear an artic armor suit  & I rolled out onto the ice. Laid there a few & gathered my thoughts.  That suit definatly saved my day. After I stood up & yelled to some guys close by. One of them fell in like 10 min later too. We all packed up & got to the bank asap. Then I had to walk back to my truck thru the woods. About a half mile. I went home & went to another lake the same day. I have been back to hopewell since then. But I avoid that lake for the most part. Twice before that I have gone in with 1 leg & both those times were at hopewell also.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:14 PM »
I fell through in 30' of water the winter of 2012.  I was rescued, was within a minute or 2 of dying.  I was lucky enough to be fishing on a lake in Minneapolis, where there were others on the ice.  IF i had been out in the country, I wouldn't be writing this.

Ice conditions - a nice 5" of early ice. Unfortunately, the area I usually fish was taken.  I walked around a point, and apparently there had been issues with that area freezing over consistently.  The Hennepin County Sheriff and DNR had told me, after the incident, that they considered putting hazard signs on the ice (there must be a small amount of current there).

Spent a good deal of an hour recovering in an ambulance.  I was lucky.  I walk out in light clothing, if I had bibs or heavier clothing on, I doubt I would have been able to stay afloat.  I am an exercise nut, I am sure it also helped me to live another day.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:28 PM »
I fell through big time when I was young and dumb ice skating, like 4th or 5th grade young skating on a pond, caught myself on the ice arm pit deep and was able to climb out like a flash. It was a long cold walk home about a 1/2 mile. Now 60 years old and twice that hardly counts trying to get on late ice just off shoreline broke through up to about knee deep, enough to end the day with wet pants and wet feet. I should have used a plank and I would have been fine.

Offline sturboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:21 AM »
Me, I'm old and dumb. My first year ice fishing, 55 years old, I was walking on 8" ice and went in up to my chin. Eventually got out. The other guy on the ice was riding off hours later and had one front wheel of his 4 wheeler go through, throwing him off. Turned out there's a spring where I went through. It was late March in N WI. I'm sure if I hadn't gone through I would have limited. Yeah, that's it, on slabs. And mega slabs. Yeah.

Offline RipLipp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:59 AM »
I've gone through three times. One time is was -8 F and after getting out, I fished four more hours.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:35 PM »
I'm 65 years old been ice fishing since I've been 7. So with that being said,been through many times ,always coming off on last ice February or March on a very warm or sunny day. Never been over my waist but still get a rush. What guys forget is how rapid ice conditions change. At 7 am no problems getting on but by 5pm that shoreline sure looks different. Yesterday was probably my last day. Got on ok,shore was tight,coming off about 2'-3' gone. Probably could have got a couple hours in early today but really don't need to push the envelope. Bought a Striker suit last year and don't plan on testing it out. I had a very productive year fishing. I've got more than enough and will pass out quite a few bags of fillets to friends. Plenty of perch,gills and crappie tacos and many fish fries. Stay on top.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.