Author Topic: Who Has Fallen Through Ice  (Read 2021 times)

Offline antelope76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Who Has Fallen Through Ice
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:49 PM »
I've been thru twice.

First time my sister and I were playing on our grandparents dock and she decided to give me a shove from behind.  Went off the dock thru the ice into about 8ft of water.  Lucking my dad was nearby and he grabbed me up and got me out.

Second time I was actually ice fishing the same lake and after being on the ice for awhile needed to relieve myself.  I walked to the edge and got to close to a dock that had been thawed/thin around the edges.  Went thru into about 5 foot of water.  Was able to break ice to shore to get out.

Both times was lucky to have cottage nearby where I could get into dry clothes and warmed up.

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
« Reply #31 on: Feb 14, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Twice a year cause I can. Only once when alone though. You have to stay calm. Shock will kill you. I have float suit and wear pfd vest when ice is weak. I’m not saying it’s for everyone but if you stay calm it not that big of a deal.

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 14, 2018, 01:11 PM »
I fell thru once, I was already out fishing and my buddy was coming to meet me on the ice.  I seen him just before he got on where I knew it wasnt safe so I yelled to him to hang on and went over to help him get on where it was safe. I brought my spud and as I hit the ice near where I knew it wasnt safe it broke and I fell in up to just above my waist, I thought I was on the good ice but it all just broke apart and I really didnt know how deep it was, I thought it was maybe knee deep, very ignorant thinking either way Ha I ended up trying to fish with the heater but I was soaked and even tho the crappies were hitting I had to call it a day, this was late february near a dock. Ive also put a leg through near some bubblers trying to find my way of off an unfamiliar lake in the dark during a blizzard, and Ive put a leg through a gass hole that opened up big and twisted my knee.  I only count it as going through if its both legs though lol!
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline fellinonce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 14, 2018, 02:05 PM »
My dad and I hit a gas pocket while riding our atv at night, out to meet some friends who were already fishing. 8" of ice everywhere else! Machine flipped over but floated upside down so we were both resting one arm on ice, one holding wheeler. People saw us go in and came quick with a rope and got us out.  I never panicked until we got home and started thinking about what had happened. The next day went and winched the machine out and was surprised we didn't lose to much gear. I fish a lot still, with an led light bar now!  This is where my avatar comes from
Tap, Tap,.. Cross his eyes!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:36 AM »
Takes more than two hands to count the times now. I’ve asked for it almost every time. Many times there was moving water involved. Only one time up to my eyes. Majority of times one leg or waist deep. Have ran off the ice a couple times do to it deteriorating throughout the day. Get a spud and use it if there’s any question. The time I went into my eyes I was testing but not enough and the ice went from 14” to and 1” in one and there were zero visual clues that it had changed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.