Author Topic: Life jacket?  (Read 1303 times)

Offline green hornet

• IceShanty Rookie
Life jacket?
« on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:10 AM »
How many of you bring a life jacket along when ice fishing? I know this doesn't apply for most inland lakes midwinter but for early or late season conditions or on the big lakes. I have been fishing the bubblers as of late and almost everybody pushes a boat out there or has a lifejacket. I decided to pick a lifejacket up for myself because it seemed like a really good idea. Although I know this is a good idea I myself might be tempted to go out on some pretty thin ice with the somewhat false sense of security of a life jacket.   

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Life jacket?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2009, 08:01 PM »
It's only a fish and there is not one out there worth risking your life over. Save the $20.00 and fish where it's safe!! All that life jacket will do for you in 32 degree water is make for easy recovery---not rescue.    http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hypothermia.htm

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:16 PM »
id have to agree 100% with Aaron on that one.   NO fish is worth losing your life  if i dont feel safe on ice,  you wont catch me on it!   unless i had on a bering sea survival suit maybe  LOL

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2009, 08:58 AM »
I can tell you from experience that a life jacket may not keep you afloat when you are dressed for ice fishing. All of the clothes you are wearing get very heavy when wet. If you plan on being on lousy ice you are truly placing your life in jeopardy. I came very close to ending my life in cold water and it isn't an experience that you want to repeat in a hurry.
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2009, 09:18 AM »
nope  don't bring one or wear one   I made the choice of the idi gear   so if the chance I went thru   which is a very rare chance at least my wife would have closure  personal choise of 8-9" before I attempt to go out
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline taggedfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2009, 08:19 AM »
I like to wear one when the ice gets shaky,also have picks around my neck

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2009, 11:38 AM »
I like to wear one when the ice gets shaky,also have picks around my neck

I do the same for early or late ice. The lifejacket may not keep me fully afloat, but it sure will buy me a few extra minutes of time to get my picks off of my neck and some extra lift to pull myself up.  And khaaxma, they make lifejackets for a wide range of weight classes, so just get one that will account for the gear you have on at the time for icefishing, and you can be sure it will keep you afloat. Avoiding bad ice is a good choice, but that doesn't always mean that you will never fall through, and any extra help in the water could save your life.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.