Author Topic: missing flags alot  (Read 3041 times)

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
missing flags alot
« on: Mar 08, 2016, 06:28 PM »
Ok. I know its a topic that has been discussed lots. Im just looking for input on types of rigs and different ways to hook up baits. I generally dont use anything under 10"   all kinds of quick strike rigs i run. Missing over 50% of our flags. Maybe some photos showing your best sets?  im fishing pike. Thx guys for any help

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: missing flags alot
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2016, 06:43 PM »
I don't like using quick strike rigs on tipups, I've found that it's just to much metal and the fish usually drop the rig once they feel it.  Switch to a single trebal hook in size you would feel is to small.  If you notice you are getting lots of flags but few hook ups downsize your bait and give the fish more time to turn the bait and swallow it.  Something a few of my buddy's have been doing is using tube jigs tipped with a small piece of herring.  The soft plastic helps hide the hook and cuts down on dropped baits.  Don't overlook dead bait, pike are opportunistic and the less energy they can expend to catch their food the more likely they are to bite.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2016, 06:24 AM »
Are u maybe getting to your flags to quickly.pike especially with big bait like to hit the bait and run with it then drop it and come back to take the bait head first.I always wait for the second run before I touch the line iv missed alot of pike getting to eager

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2016, 06:45 AM »
Yep let em run twice and switch to a single treble hook. I went with wide gaps this year and it increased my hook ups. I still use a small treble though like one of the previous posters said.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2016, 11:46 AM »
It is important not to rush to the tipup.  I always wait a minimum of 5 minutes before checking a flag.  I also prefer to use single hooks over trebles, as I believe the fish have less of a chance of feeling the bait and spitting it.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2016, 02:55 PM »
I usually use tip-ups to fill the time while jigging, and they are rigged with just 30# dacron (black or green) with a 6"-18" steel leader and a #2 treble. Hook a 4"-7" inch shiner under the front half of the dorsal. This last season I kept getting flags and letting them run but I could feel the hook ripping out of the shiner when I went to set the hook. I decided it was because of small pike not getting the hook set when the shiner is flipped head first so I rehooked it through the eye sockets. Worked like a charm. Might kill presentation but I really havnt seen that to be a problem with hungry pike.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.