Author Topic: Indian Hills Ice Traps  (Read 3661 times)

Offline bobkane23

• IceShanty Rookie
Indian Hills Ice Traps
« on: Dec 07, 2014, 01:53 AM »
Just ordered a couple Indian Hills traps and a couple Nor easters, now just have to wait for some fishable ice in the area.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Indian Hills Ice Traps
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2014, 09:49 PM »
You will love them...top quality and great support. I love to dead stick with the Noreasters...they are the best!!! If you dead stick try the rod with the small Okuma bait runner reel made for fresh water, only one available.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:56 PM »
You will love them...top quality and great support. I love to dead stick with the Noreasters...they are the best!!! If you dead stick try the rod with the small Okuma bait runner reel made for fresh water, only one available.

X2 with a small baitrunner on the Nor'easter. I use a small Shimano baitrunner great for dead sticking Pike. You can find the shimano baitrunners for fresh water online. They come from over seas. Nice reel.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:37 PM »
What's the advantage of the Indian hill? Do you guys like the cross trap or flat fold style?

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:44 PM »
What's the advantage of the Indian hill? Do you guys like the cross trap or flat fold style?

I went with cross style, quality, craftsmanship, and top notch customer service. Mike even contacted me after they were delivered to make sure I liked them
also helps my case when he builds them 20 minutes from me.
im in my 20's and I wanted a set of traps to last me a lifetime...

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:46 PM »
I went with cross style, quality, craftsmanship, and top notch customer service. Mike even contacted me after they were delivered to make sure I liked them
also helps my case when he builds them 20 minutes from me.
im in my 20's and I wanted a set of traps to last me a lifetime...
I'm also in my 20s so I wouldn't mind the investment. Great customer service is also a bonus. I'm wondering about the nor Easters because I'm kind of addicted to my jaw jackers and automatic fisherman. How does the trig mechanism work? I know they are not a hook setting style. Do you ever have problems with leaving an open bail or you typically just use light drag or bait runner style reels?

Thanks in advance

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:14 PM »
I'm also in my 20s so I wouldn't mind the investment. Great customer service is also a bonus. I'm wondering about the nor Easters because I'm kind of addicted to my jaw jackers and automatic fisherman. How does the trig mechanism work? I know they are not a hook setting style. Do you ever have problems with leaving an open bail or you typically just use light drag or bait runner style reels?

Thanks in advance
honestly i just got mine and havnt used it thru the ice. i used the nor easter a few times for trout from the shore last month and it worked great. the it just a little piece of rubber with a slit in it and u slide your line in there.when the fish pulls it will pill the lever tripping the flag and releasing your line.
if you look around on the mass board you will see alot of guys use them and write about them. look around. ebay, craigslist etc. noone is selling them. everyone keeps them. forever

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Think I'll order one to try for now and then order a set if I like em. Can you still see if the fish is pulling line with the cross trap style?

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Think I'll order one to try for now and then order a set if I like em. Can you still see if the fish is pulling line with the cross trap style?

most guys recommend either a small bait runner or a bait caster with the brake set the way you want so the fish can run, so ya you will see line peeling off.
his website is hard to find, its nothing too fancy. if you cant find it, pm me and ill sniff it out for ya

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:27 PM »
most guys recommend either a small bait runner or a bait caster with the brake set the way you want so the fish can run, so ya you will see line peeling off.
his website is hard to find, its nothing too fancy. if you cant find it, pm me and ill sniff it out for ya
I found the site but not lots of info on how they work. With the traditional cross trap style tip ups (not the nor Easter) you can still see if a fish is peeling line right?

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:44 AM »
Yes, you can absolutely see your spool spinning underwater when there is a fish on.  Believe me, and everyone else on here, Indian hills are worth the money.  Like Icehole said, customer service is great, I've been to Mike's house to pick up a set of traps, very nice guy.  I think it's a little cheaper if you order it as a package deal, I got the 5 cross style traps with the nor easter a couple years ago.  I have honestly not used the nor easter, never really had a good jig rod, but I've messed around with it and the trigger mechanism and everything else about it is top notch, I plan on putting it to use this season.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:28 AM »
I found the site but not lots of info on how they work. With the traditional cross trap style tip ups (not the nor Easter) you can still see if a fish is peeling line right?

here you go maybe these pictures will help! these are my new ones. went with black stain and decided to ask Mike for TWO flags. I love the way they came out

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2014, 02:39 AM »
Looks sweet! Looks like some are going onto the Christmas list and if not I'm buying myself another Christmas present!

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:27 PM »
Capt. Phil  I use Nor easters mostly and I use spinning reels on my set ups. Sooo  much fun seeing a flag then fighting it on a rod! :tipup:

Offline bobkane23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:49 PM »
What kind of spinning reels do you use Capedeer?

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Bob....I use Pflueger presidents and Abu Garcia cardinal 503s on all my jig sticks. I load them all up with 20# powe pro braid. Then I add a 10-15 foot flouro leader depending on what species I'm targeting. Good for sunnies to pike! :tipup:

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Can you tell me how long it takes to receive an order?  Been loyal to Beaver Dams (grew up in WI), but would like to give the flat-fold a shot....  Pricing differences between the 2 brands are negligible...

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2014, 03:39 PM »
I would PM Mike, hes the guy that builds them Powow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.