Author Topic: Walker, MN Eelpout Festival  (Read 6326 times)

fishmann

Walker, MN Eelpout Festival
« on: Feb 10, 2004, 03:39 PM »
Wondering if any of the Shanty boys are going?

www.eelpoutfestival.co m

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
Re: Walker, MN Eelpout Festival
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2004, 04:12 PM »
the site gives burbot secrets... I don't agree fully with two of them.  It says burbot fight real well and that they only hit rapid jigging presentations if they are very hungry or anoyed.  I always catch them more jigging than on tipups.  Sometimes they hit if you stop for a little bit, but mostly they just hammer it.  Plus rapid jigging get their attention from farther away and they are very courious.  they like to bite stuff, including waterproof flashlights ;D.  Oh yeah, they usually come up like dead weight, unless you snag them.  then once they get to the hole they give a good run or two....but they aren't lon runs and you only have 4-6 feet of line left so they are done.  They like to roll your line up though. they are big, thats what makes them fun.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2004, 05:22 PM »
I also agree with Jake about how they come in...I can't get any to hit a jig though ill be trying for them saturday nite though and ill be using one jigging presentation and one dead minnow picking up some more glow stuff this week or tommorow actually to try for the jigging glow to see if they come. Works for jake then ill try what ever he uses. LOL tight lines
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2004, 05:33 PM »
Though i must admit i have caught a ling about 4 inchs long that i though was a perch the way it hit...i was jigging a dead minnow 12 noon on a overhang rock which goes down maybe 30 feet till bottom (ice fishing of course)  I though id see if any lakers would hit but instead this fiesty lil bugger hits it instead and fought like a lil bass ..ALl 3 ounches of him..he was very agressive plus he wasnt even hooked he just didnt want to let go of the minnow..LOl SO maybe it varies on time of year or location or size of fish that hit well? I dont know...rofl
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

fishmann

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2004, 05:58 PM »
I've never caught one through the ice, although I do catch them occasionally on open water fishing for bass. In warmer water, they fight fairly well, and yes, they will definatly do a gator death roll on your line. Was fishing a bass tourney a few years ago, sighted a good fish sitting on the edge of a 3 ft diameter hole in the cabbage that was growing up to the top of the water, just sitting on the edge of the hole maybe 50 (?) feet away. Had been throwing scumfrogs, had it in my hand, so cast over the hole and slowly worked it back, twiched it a couple times on the hole and KABLAAAMMMM, she blasted it. Thought I had a 6 lb bass, but once I got it close enough to see, was an eelpout.  :-[ The guy I was fishing with sure gave me craq about intentionally catching a pout on a scummy!!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2004, 08:29 PM »
you sure it wsa a pout and not a Bowfin? AKA DOGFISH>? alot of people mistake the two. Now dogfish will chase lures and fight great sharp teeth and stick to shallow warm waters. They can actually breath air..Their prehistoric fish that will actually move accross land to get to other bodys of water. Justc urious if this was the fish you had caught and not a pout. Did the fish you caught have scales?

fishmann

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2004, 09:51 AM »
Hmmmm.. good point, Germ. I don't recall if it had scales, but I do remember it having the false eye on the tail, so I suppose that makes it a dogfish, not a pout. My bad. Still a fun catch though.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2004, 10:48 AM »
Ya honest mistake though..The bowfin unmistakeable with the dot on the tail..They are very territoriall come summer spawn..The males arnt so nice on your lures. I was using a strike king spinner that perch hit on as well as crappie and i had this 9 pound Bowfin tear into my lure at about 6 inches of depth..scared the beegeesus out me becasue of the way it attacked it slashed at it. Anyhow fun to catch ..i myself have never eaten one only because iv'e heard they dont taste very well..Good fish to catch though as iv'e said nice fight and they do line wrap as well. My lure was toast after that fish but well worth the fight. SOme people catch them while fishing with worms at the bottom for catfish...Ling though besides their mid winter spawn usually wont be hanging where you would find the bass..they like deep cold water and pretty clear. Anyhow thanks for the reply back though i love bowfin stories as well.

Offline captcourageous

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2004, 02:51 PM »
I'll be up in Walker for the festival trying to catch the big one before and after participating in the polar bear plunge.  Always a great time.  See you at the "Team Pout" tent. 

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2004, 03:53 PM »
Get some pics of the festival especially if ya get a lunker...Not of you in a bathing suit though..(CRINGE) Fat guys in bathing suit in the COLD Shrinkage....not a pretty sight for ANYONE> lol tight lines!

Offline captcourageous

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2004, 04:13 PM »
I'm not fat, I'm just big boned ;D.  I'll try and capture the true spirit of the festival in some pictures, but one of you guys might need to instruct me on how to post them.  Not to quick with this fancy naked lady machine on my desk.  See ya!]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.