Author Topic: what is a (Eelpout)  (Read 6617 times)

raleigh

what is a (Eelpout)
« on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:51 PM »
What is a (Eelpout) ? An do we have them in Colorado ?  I dont think i have ever heard of a (Eelpout).

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
Re: what is a (Eelpout)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2004, 12:13 AM »
its a cold water species that is related to cod, only fresh water.  I have some pictures posted on the other threds in the forrum, so check them out....they are also known as lawyers, burbot, cusk, ling, etc.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2004, 03:07 PM »
Believe me Jake would know he proably knows what they look like better then he knows his own face he catches so many, He hasnt posted any new ones in awhile though,.,Get Ling fishing Jake!!!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2004, 06:30 PM »
my times really being sucked up this february, probably won't even get to fish for the tourney :(  Plus i've got some kind of flu right now and need to take it easy....when i go fishing i seldom take it easy....plus lifeguard class is eating m weekends for februry....i might be able to get out one of these nights for ling though. God willing.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2004, 08:04 PM »
Drink lots of fluids jake...Not the Same that Trapperdirk drinks...but fluids that don't make you drunk. Seriosuly take care of yourself and post when you get the chance,....Remeber not to many months left to fish for em...Shame you cant be in the tourney i have a feeling you  would take it! Tight lines jake and take care of yourself!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2004, 06:27 PM »
I still got till may ;D

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:03 AM »
May ya dang forgot where your located man...May ouch man dang you have to ice fish there as its like more then half a year that you can't...DO you evver fish for ling in the summer? and with the same success if you do? I tried a few times in the summer but no luck. Please tell me if ya do and what differnt tactics did you use?

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2004, 02:17 PM »
we usually catch them in the fall too, me and my buddies that is....just use cutbait or whatever...lamperey larva work the best here...I've caught some nice ones in the fall too.  Just set it on the bottom and wait for a bite..i usually target them in the river in though, and i've never caught a burbot in a lake in the summer, But i have hardly tried either.   We go at dusk, and sometimes light a campfire and just chill till one of our rods start moving, its alot of fun,  when we go with our rods we nearly always catch fish, but not 25 in one night yet.  1-2 per person usually for 2-3 hours.  but time flys when your hanging out around the fire.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2004, 07:00 AM »
Sounds like it would be a great time...If i don't use a hut for ice fishing then i make a fire out on the ice..just bring a piece of ply wood 2 feet sq and place your logs on that and start a burning..Makes it kind of fun gives ya light to see your rods and keeps ya darn warm. Bring the marshmellows and weenies and its all good..Or just bring Trapperdirk he is one big weenie! ROFL tight lines!

trapperdirk

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2004, 08:58 AM »
 Oh the Germ is at it again . Seems now I'm a drunken weenie according to him . LOL
   We'll see who gets roasted won't we Germ . ;)
 I'll try and not torture you too bad cause you have to pull my rigging . Hmmmmm wonder what a fly feels like when you pull of its wings .LOL
  Ling can be caught year round I find but icetime is best . They must be spawning on the shale beds now I would think . I find at that time they are aggressive and will hit anything jigged .

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2004, 10:57 AM »
Just stopped by wal-mart this morning to see if i could get one of those Piranha Fish finders they have advertised on the wal-mart site but all they have there is the 179 doller cuda's and not the 79 doller piranha..guess i could have called first. Wasn't a wasted trip though i managed to pick up some soft plastice glow lures there that jake suggest for Ling jigging...Well it wasnt exactly the one he uses but ill melt it to look like his rofl....As long as it still glows and looks like his then all it is after that is my technique...And i bet ya jake will post it again (his technique that is) i also have dead fish in the freezer waiting to be used as bait, smelly ones and ill pick up some live minnows for the trout. Im all set for LING cause i know trapper will forget to get me some before then...lazy bugger! ROFL tight lines!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2004, 03:55 PM »
That Canadian Dollers your talking>? Or AMerican which works out to like 3 billion Canadain? LOL just checking and ALso are you haveing nice luck with the 128? I mean is it worth the moola you paid?

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2004, 04:44 PM »
Ya i dont know much about the flashers either but now at least i figured why i went wrong with the price at wal-mart as the price i see there is american. Tks. See ya.

raleigh

« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2004, 06:00 PM »
 ;D LOL, out of all 14 replys only one person told me what a Eelpout was. Thanks (JAKE) !!!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2004, 09:19 PM »
Well i told ya jake would...if ya recall..Lol he has seen them when they are bigger so he would be able to tell ya better.

trapperdirk

« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2004, 12:05 AM »
 Well if you pull something out of the water that is long , slimy and resembles a fat thick pregnant eel . Well you will have seen a ling,burbot,eelpout, lawyer fish .
  Good table fare but definately not a pretty fish . LOL
  He fights you coming straight up  . But when nothing else bites the ling will.  Even at night and all night , just bait him .

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2004, 06:19 AM »
i t Resembles a bowfin coated with catfish skin but with a wisker! And it grabs your arm and holds on like a nsake when you bring it out the hole.

fishmann

« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2004, 09:16 AM »
HMmmmm.. I thought a dogfish was a different critter than a 'pout?

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:03 PM »
I never have heard ANyone call a LINg a dogfish..Only when they mix the bowfin up with the Ling then they are just making a mistake but im from central canada so i Don't know about west side..but i think he covered about every other name you could call it..

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2004, 12:38 PM »
That was me !  Dogfish is the most common nickname in southern Sask.  Further north they're called marias.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2004, 01:06 PM »
Sorry about the poor resolution, that's a mulie doe  .  They only allow so many  pixels    I call them my "valley girls"
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.