Author Topic: Jiffy model 30 drill assembly issues  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Rango

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy model 30 drill assembly issues
« on: Mar 05, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Hey all. First time posting here. Hopefully this is in the right place. I have a jiffy model 30 with the tecumseh motor. 10" drill assembly. I  Noticed this year it became harder to drill. Then noticed the auger would bounce all over the place when the ice got softer.  So I assumed the blades were junk. Further inspection I realized the part the blades attach to is actually ripping off. It is cracked at both ends and will need to be replaced or welded. Is this common on these sugars? And where can I find a new drill assembly? Looks like it's about $200 for a replacement. But now I'm considering a new drill. As much as I love this auger it has always been very difficult to keep running and keep it from bogging.  I've rebuilt the carb. And every time I get it running properly it doesn't last. It will eventually start running rough again. It always drills but it's becoming frustrating.   Does anyone know where I can find this drill assembly for a decent price?  Thank you for your time

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Jiffy model 30 drill assembly issues
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2018, 03:30 PM »
no its not common..and jiffy has demo auger bits for around 50 to 70  bucks.its in the special sale items right from jiffy.i bought a 5" and 8" from them.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2018, 03:30 PM »
hardwater diehard beat me to it..lol

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2018, 05:07 PM »
Buy an ION and put the old girl to bed that's what I did and haven't looked back. You will not regret it. I'll sell you my Jiffy 30 for $200.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2018, 06:38 PM »
Buy an ION and put the old girl to bed that's what I did and haven't looked back. You will not regret it. I'll sell you my Jiffy 30 for $200.
   I bought an Ion X 8" last season  shelving a model 30 and a model 78...the 78 being 2HP 8"  that is lighter than the model 30..because I didn't run it last year I wanted to run it once this season. ..I used it last Thursday...the Ion goes through 20" of ice about 5 seconds faster and is ALOT lighter...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Rango

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:09 PM »
First off Thank you all for the help.   Secondly Wil the xt drill assembly that jiffy is selling attach to my old model 30? Can't really beat those prices. I have highly considered the ion. Or a newer auger. But I feel as though I'm turning my back on one of my family members if I get rid of my old 30. Lol.. she sure is getting awfully heavy to lump around though. 

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:19 PM »
They will work

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2018, 11:11 PM »
Any jiffy bit should work for you. Probably best to just find someone who jumped on the electric bandwagon, buy their old auger, and have a spare powerhead. Seen them going down to $125 occasionally. I understand the convenience factor of the electric but a sharp jiffy should be darn near even on cutting speed and you can easily sharpen your own blades.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2018, 02:59 AM »
Rango stay with the 30..this electric deal reminds me of when the propane
Augers came out..everybody wanted one and now they are for sale everywhere..gas has worked forever why stop..my 30 cuts like a beast after 20 years..obviously it’s my opinion because I know those ions look cool
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2018, 04:21 AM »
First off Thank you all for the help.   Secondly Wil the xt drill assembly that jiffy is selling attach to my old model 30? Can't really beat those prices. I have highly considered the ion. Or a newer auger. But I feel as though I'm turning my back on one of my family members if I get rid of my old 30. Lol.. she sure is getting awfully heavy to lump around though.

The kids eventually (hopefully) leave the house.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2018, 05:14 AM »
There are a ton of options now for augers. The Model 30 IS the standard for ice augers. They are still around and working very well. That says a lot. Way back when, we jigged up a model 30 when someone went through the ice in around 28 fow. That auger after removing the water, changing out the gas and new spark plug fired right up after being in the lake for about 2 weeks. Still in use today.

That said, if a 10" auger isn't important to you, also think about the K-Drill with a Milwaukee M18 Drill. They claim its an 8" but i think its actually a 7.5"
You can always drill 2 or 3 holes and punch out the middle if a bigger hole is important. Super light weight too. Just another option to think about.

If your looking to just replace the auger portion and not the power head, hook up with Dag's in Auburn Maine. They have a bunch of augers for sale and will do you right. Also their service is second to none. They know what their doing when it comes to auger repairs.

Good luck. 

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2018, 06:12 AM »

That said, if a 10" auger isn't important to you, also think about the K-Drill with a Milwaukee M18 Drill. They claim its an 8" but i think its actually a 7.5"
You can always drill 2 or 3 holes and punch out the middle if a bigger hole is important. Super light weight too. Just another option to think about.

X2
I went to the k-drill this season after having 3 straight seasons with seal issues on my tecumseh jiffy. I’ve still got her running as a backup but it’s hard to beat the weightlessness of my k-drill... plus I use the Milwaukee year round anyhow.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2018, 06:28 AM »
Rango stay with the 30..this electric deal reminds me of when the propane
Augers came out..everybody wanted one and now they are for sale everywhere..gas has worked forever why stop..my 30 cuts like a beast after 20 years..obviously it’s my opinion because I know those ions look cool
..Not really....anyone that has used anything propane
outdoors knows the potential for problems.. they were a half cocked cure for a stinky shanty.. that was the ONLY reason for their invention... also the weight factor.. one of the biggest reasons for going electric is for the weight factor...transport inside anything that is enclosed is an issue with a gasoline auger... they leak gas and stink... there is NO denying it..I've been a small engine and marine mechanic for over 40 years... I own 3 gas augers and an Ion X... all 3 (one is an old one arm bandit kept as a show piece...but is runs)... a model 30 and a model 78... I only keep them for nostalgic reasons... as I stated in another post.. I hadn't run the model 78 since 2016 season...it started right up and I drilled a ton of holes ( I actually worked my way from shore line to shore line across the lake).. when I hoisted the model 78 off of the auger rack on the wheeler I couldn't help but think...Man this thing is HEAVY..its only 7lbs heavier than the Ion but after awhile you notice the difference...Gasoline augers will always have a place on the ice... but electric is the future and not just a cool fad... as companies produce better and more reliable batteries eclectics becomes popular...I wouldn't trade my ion for anything... remember.. the Model T was a good thing at one time. Anyone here want to drive one to work on a daily basis...

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2018, 06:51 AM »

I would agree the electric are here to stay -

Think about it - how often do you use a corded drill now days. I still have one and would never get rid of it, but I use my cordless drills way more often. 

Augers are heading the same way, though I'll stick with my Model 30 for a long time until costs come down on the electric.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2018, 06:53 AM »
I would agree the electric are here to stay -

Think about it - how often do you use a corded drill now days. I still have one and would never get rid of it, but I use my cordless drills way more often. 

Augers are heading the same way, though I'll stick with my Model 30 for a long time until costs come down on the electric.
  you hit the nail on the head...the initial cost if the electric..I think as more manufacturer get it to designing  them the price will be competitive. .

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2018, 10:44 AM »
..Not really....anyone that has used anything propane
outdoors knows the potential for problems.. they were a half cocked cure for a stinky shanty.. that was the ONLY reason for their invention... also the weight factor.. one of the biggest reasons for going electric is for the weight factor...transport inside anything that is enclosed is an issue with a gasoline auger... they leak gas and stink... there is NO denying it..I've been a small engine and marine mechanic for over 40 years... I own 3 gas augers and an Ion X... all 3 (one is an old one arm bandit kept as a show piece...but is runs)... a model 30 and a model 78... I only keep them for nostalgic reasons... as I stated in another post.. I hadn't run the model 78 since 2016 season...it started right up and I drilled a ton of holes ( I actually worked my way from shore line to shore line across the lake).. when I hoisted the model 78 off of the auger rack on the wheeler I couldn't help but think...Man this thing is HEAVY..its only 7lbs heavier than the Ion but after awhile you notice the difference...Gasoline augers will always have a place on the ice... but electric is the future and not just a cool fad... as companies produce better and more reliable batteries eclectics becomes popular...I wouldn't trade my ion for anything... remember.. the Model T was a good thing at one time. Anyone here want to drive one to work on a daily basis...
no that's what I mean...the propane augers ended up having a billion problems that's why they are for sale everywhre
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Rango

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2018, 01:09 PM »
Hey all. Sorry been busy at work. I decided to buy one of the demo drills from jiffy. Can't beat the price for $60. Thank you for that info. Saved me a ton of money. Since I was able to repair the auger for so little I see no point in benching her quite yet. I'll just get her ready for next season. Now on to figuring out why it won't stay tuned properly. Thank you all again for all of the help.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2018, 01:34 PM »
Hey all. Sorry been busy at work. I decided to buy one of the demo drills from jiffy. Can't beat the price for $60. Thank you for that info. Saved me a ton of money. Since I was able to repair the auger for so little I see no point in benching her quite yet. I'll just get her ready for next season. Now on to figuring out why it won't stay tuned properly. Thank you all again for all of the help.
.. perfect solution and a happy ending...in the end.. you have to do what YOU  think is right.. never mind what us bone heads think ;D

Offline Rango

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Make no mistake The allure of a quiet clean no hastle auger is very tempting. But if I can fix an auger for $60 versus buying a new one for $400 to $500 then I'm sold. After all.. I could use the exercise from carrying around that big lunky auger. Lol.. Now to find Some ice. Preferably not the stuff in my cup. Lol

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Fix it.

Offline TRIPLE S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2018, 04:13 PM »
Change the diaphram that is at the end of you primer hose at bottom of carb they cost about $5.00  The gas we use eats them up and they rot away I change mine every 2 years Its 20 years old and runs like new. All so use seafoam in you mix. Spray your carb up with some deep creep (by seafoam) it works !!!!  P.S. I got a Kdrill for XMASS it is the best  Good Luck

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2018, 05:30 PM »
Rango you may want to use Tru fuel in your jiffy. It contains no ethonal and it may eliminate your issues with it running poorly. It's a little pricy but angers don't use much gas anyways.  Just a thought.
John

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2018, 09:25 PM »
Think about it - how often do you use a corded drill now days. I still have one and would never get rid of it
Ain't that the truth!
I have a corded 1/2" and a hole hawg. I can't remember how many years it's been since I used either one.
Not many days go by when I'm not using at least one of my battery drills/drivers.
Electric augers are here to stay!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2018, 10:27 PM »
Unless there's another large tech breakthrough, like what lithium batteries did for drills/augers, electrics will fizzle out. Time will tell i guess

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2018, 03:28 AM »
Rango you may want to use Tru fuel in your jiffy. It contains no ethonal and it may eliminate your issues with it running poorly. It's a little pricy but angers don't use much gas anyways.  Just a thought.
i love the stuff and my baby purrrrs with trufeul

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2018, 07:03 AM »
Ain't that the truth!
I have a corded 1/2" and a hole hawg. I can't remember how many years it's been since I used either one.
Not many days go by when I'm not using at least one of my battery drills/drivers.
Electric augers are here to stay!

CD I do like your setup.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2018, 07:23 AM »
Unless there's another large tech breakthrough, like what lithium batteries did for drills/augers, electrics will fizzle out. Time will tell i guess

Don’t you mean gas/fuel augers will fizzle out?
The new technologies certainly don’t lean toward fossil fuels...

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2018, 08:46 AM »
Don’t you mean gas/fuel augers will fizzle out?
The new technologies certainly don’t lean toward fossil fuels...

^ this.... I'm old enough to remember lead in gasoline... ... I also remember when they first came out with electronic ignition...I saw fuel injection grab a foot hold and become what it is today.. at one time Amesoil and Mobil 1 were the only synthetic oils... I remember as a mechanic predicting  ( along with the old timers) the demise and folly of each of the aforementioned items...there were rocky patches( at which time I gloated.. then had to eat my words) .. but in the end they got it right.. Every major Auto maker  make makes a hybrid or electric automobile...chainsaws ...lawn mowers and  many other types of power equipment now come in dependable ( and quite versatile) versions of battery powered units... as EPA rules tighten. And the cry for stricter regulations forces manufactures ( and eventually we consumers) to look at alternate means to enjoy our sport.. battery powered drills and other equipment will become the standard.. I love Nostalgic things.. and hate change... I've lived long enough to see how this is going.. battery powered "tools" are here to stay.
sorry for the long post and hijack.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Nope. Current battery tech still limits these incredibly expensive batteries to possibly as short as a two year life span. I'm guessing folks will probably get around 5. Currently limited to shaver style blades for the most part which makes them nearly useless if you live in a part of the country where dirty ice is common. Drill manufactures also seem to be getting sick of fixing broken drills. While electric could be the future you won't see the electric augers that are currently being produced being used in twenty years and I'll probably still be running my jiffy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.