The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Yankee springs?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yankee springs?
« on: Feb 14, 2020, 12:48 PM »
Decided to drive up and check this area out tomorrow. Looking for panfish, preferably perch. Any suggestions?  PM's welcome.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline hotnate24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Yankee springs?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2020, 12:51 PM »
Had some good days on Baker before. Has variety of Species. Stained water, Pink spikes worked well.

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2020, 07:07 PM »
Decided to drive up and check this area out tomorrow. Looking for panfish, preferably perch. Any suggestions?  PM's welcome.

You’re gonna be hard pressed to find much in Yankee these days, you may be better off on Gun Lake. Baker has basically become a dink factory and most of the smaller lakes are the same.

silver on

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:16 AM »
Jaybes hit the nail right on the head. all the lakes in yankee springs have been fished out buy the old timers who catch there limit in the morning and in the evening
almost every single day. Seen it many time.  Same situation on gun. over fished, to much weed kill off and to much tourism and day in and day out tournaments all spring summer and fall.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:15 PM »
Jaybes hit the nail right on the head. all the lakes in yankee springs have been fished out buy the old timers who catch there limit in the morning and in the evening
almost every single day. Seen it many time.  Same situation on gun. over fished, to much weed kill off and to much tourism and day in and day out tournaments all spring summer and fall.

Bit disgruntled there silver on? I am one of those old timers who fish almost everyday. Why? Because I like it and I am retired. Kinda earned what I wanna do. Second, I rarely catch a limit on any day...nor do the guys I fish with...but we're kinda picky on the size.  ;) And I have plenty in the freezer to last me awhile. Third, except for one, all of the lakes I fish are public in Barry and Allegan counties. And there are still plenty of good fish in them. I have yet to see anyone else on these lakes even on the weekends. They're just tough lakes to fish and a lot people have trouble catching them. As for the tournaments on Gun, can't hardly see how bass tournaments during the soft water season has an adverse affect on the pan fishing during ice time. In fact, picked up a few nice perch there today. Had to walk a looong way...but worth it. And it wasn't the first time.   ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:59 PM »
Lakes in that area have decent fishing,some days its just harder to find and catch them.except chief noonday thats a dink factory.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:39 PM »
Bit disgruntled there silver on? I am one of those old timers who fish almost everyday. Why? Because I like it and I am retired. Kinda earned what I wanna do. Second, I rarely catch a limit on any day...nor do the guys I fish with...but we're kinda picky on the size.  ;) And I have plenty in the freezer to last me awhile. Third, except for one, all of the lakes I fish are public in Barry and Allegan counties. And there are still plenty of good fish in them. I have yet to see anyone else on these lakes even on the weekends. They're just tough lakes to fish and a lot people have trouble catching them. As for the tournaments on Gun, can't hardly see how bass tournaments during the soft water season has an adverse affect on the pan fishing during ice time. In fact, picked up a few nice perch there today. Had to walk a looong way...but worth it. And it wasn't the first time.   ;D

But you know if everyone cannot go out and catch fish every time out the lake has been fished out. I fished those lakes for over 50 years and you have soe real good days and many bad days, but it is fishing

Offline phlint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2020, 02:48 PM »
Been fishing morning and night for 60 years on these lakes rarely take home more than 10 gills. Ten is a good number to clean .

silver on

« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2020, 10:40 AM »
Bit disgruntled there silver on? I am one of those old timers who fish almost everyday. Why? Because I like it and I am retired. Kinda earned what I wanna do. Second, I rarely catch a limit on any day...nor do the guys I fish with...but we're kinda picky on the size.  ;) And I have plenty in the freezer to last me awhile. Third, except for one, all of the lakes I fish are public in Barry and Allegan counties. And there are still plenty of good fish in them. I have yet to see anyone else on these lakes even on the weekends. They're just tough lakes to fish and a lot people have trouble catching them. As for the tournaments on Gun, can't hardly see how bass tournaments during the soft water season has an adverse affect on the pan fishing during ice time. In fact, picked up a few nice perch there today. Had to walk a looong way...but worth it. And it wasn't the first time.

I'm not disgruntled at all. Just sad that my grandchildren won't get to enjoy good fishing. as far as bass tournaments. Those boats have destroyed gun along with power boats. all I see across west gun it prop drags 2 miles long doing mock 1. it has contributed to killing off all the vegetation that hold fish that I stand over when the water is hard. i've fished and hunted gun for 33 years now. Where are all the waterfowl? Gone! (and seagulls don't count) because the vegetation that use to hold them is gone, the few birds that are left are dock ducks.  and as far as old timers. your not that much older than me. im less than 10 years from retirement. as far as your success. Congratulations. I am happy for you. but for My Grandchildren (3 of them), all these contributing factors (not you of course) and those who catch 10 times the freezer limit. Well I feel bad for their futures in fishing and hunting. I've caught a lot of fish over the years but never took more than me or my family could eat in a reasonable amount of time and not more than the legal limit, daily and possession. I feel like the only thing I've earned is the obligation to be a good steward of our resources so that all can be successful. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.