The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull  (Read 15280 times)

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gull
« Reply #90 on: Feb 29, 2020, 08:49 AM »
Is it possible to open water smelt fish from a boat?
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Feb 29, 2020, 10:13 AM »
Is it possible to open water smelt fish from a boat?
I have tried it twice, w/ poor results. 3 the 1st.time, 1 the 2nd. time. I have a friend that has done it in the summer,on a calm night, & he has caught some,but he said it is very hard to stay on them & they are very mushy. I would think, w/ GPS technology & trolling motors that will keep you locked on a spot,it might work.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Feb 29, 2020, 03:50 PM »
I will honestly have to compliment everyone In the area i was in for being pretty much quite threw out the night.   :thumbsup: there was NO loud music. We caught a few. Some of the ones were huge we caught which went back in the hole too big for me. Good breeder's.  Which the lake could use.

Offline skibumm100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Mar 01, 2020, 07:26 AM »
Sounds like a great night on the ice. Good plan tossing the big ones back. Looks like the smelt fishery is starting to recover. Hopefully it will be even better next year and the year after that. I enjoyed my first time smelt fishing and look forward to some more of that. Get out there while you can and be safe.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Mar 01, 2020, 11:27 AM »
Saturday Night,the  bite was terrible for myself & several other friends that were out there. The lake was "Booming" w/ ice expansion & the fish stayed deep & did not bite. Thurs. & Fri. nights were pretty good. Tonight will most likely be the last night for fishing the north end & Baseline rd. There is large areas of open water & w/ the warm weather coming,pretty sure its going to open up the lake.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Mar 03, 2020, 07:00 PM »
The North End & Baseline rd. are now unsafe. Lots of open water down the west shore & from Hickory point, south. Did see a guy on the Baycam this morning.

Offline matt93pgt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Mar 05, 2020, 02:43 PM »
Guess I'm heading to Higgins this weekend for another ice camping trip, I won't quit until there's no ice left

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Mar 12, 2020, 06:29 AM »
Made it out on the North End last night,...... on my "toon" !  We targeted perch, but only caught a few dinks. Since it was overcast,we decided to try for smelt before dark. My brother & me each caught 1 & had several bites that we missed. About 78 FOW. We were drifting,since it  was calm,but then the wind came up. Pulling 80'+ of anchor line is no fun, w/ a big anchor . We also had to bust through about 200 yds. of crappy ice ,to get out & back in. If we get another calm night, in the next few days,we will try it again. We are also going to be watching the creek on the north end for a spawning run, very closely, for the next 6 weeks or so. BTW/the docks are in.

Offline skibumm100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Mar 16, 2020, 03:24 PM »
Getting the boat ready to fish was on the "to-do" list this weekend but never made it to the top. I need to do the starter solenoid and then clean out 50# of hickory nuts and half-eaten pine cones some critter left in the bilge and in every compartment. Then I'll be ready to fish! The water is crystal clear now. I'm thinking you could catch some nice pike in the shallows if the sun warms them up a bit.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Mar 16, 2020, 05:10 PM »
Yesterday was the last day of the Pike season ,for Gull &  most other waters in the state. It will open back up,the last Sat. in April. I will be back out,after Smelt in a day or 2. Almost all the ice is off South Bay, so its just a matter of time till there are boats out there. We are going to closely monitor the creeks for a smelt run & I will post,if we see one. The posting will be delayed for several days,to protect them from being bothered or poached .

Offline skibumm100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Mar 17, 2020, 09:20 AM »
You should still be able catch and release, right? Not looking to keep 'em.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Mar 17, 2020, 10:09 AM »
You should still be able catch and release, right? Not looking to keep 'em.
No... You can not target them right now at all.... No pike walleye or bass.... Panfish and bottom feeders only....

Offline Smally22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Mar 17, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Incorrect- Bass is OK to target right now. Catch and immediate release only.
Keep Your Stick on the ICE!!!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Mar 17, 2020, 04:09 PM »
Incorrect- Bass is OK to target right now. Catch and immediate release only.
You are right i forget bass has a catch and release season....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.