Author Topic: Youth Fly Rod Recommendations  (Read 1235 times)

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Youth Fly Rod Recommendations
« on: May 19, 2019, 07:31 PM »
Ice Shantiers....I'm looking to get my daughter, who is 11, a fly rod but I want to find something that is:
 * Reasonably light for her to use
 * Not stupid expensive
 * not a complete piece of trash

I see a couple of options in my casual search but was hoping that someone who has 'trained a kid' might have some good first hand information.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Youth Fly Rod Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 06:43 AM »
You might get more responses on the sister site...
www.myfishfinder.com..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 05:32 PM »
What is your budget? But, whatever you do, do not buy her a rod, reel line combo for $50 +/- from a big box store because they are junk. Also, do not buy her a short fly rod because they are harder to cast than a standard 8 1/2' or 9' rod. While I don't own one personally, Echo Base rods get good reviews. It also comes as a kit for around $170. The Orvis Encounter is also a great starter kit for around $170. If you have a fly shop close by, I would go and talk to them.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 07:42 AM »
fly rods at flea markets are actually usually really reasonable thats how I learned to fish on. Unless its bamboo fly rods don't hold any major value, and you can pick up a nice rod rather inexpensively that way. Good luck on your search.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline dntbeamenace4031

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 03:23 PM »
fly rods at flea markets are actually usually really reasonable thats how I learned to fish on. Unless its bamboo fly rods don't hold any major value, and you can pick up a nice rod rather inexpensively that way. Good luck on your search.

Solid advice.  It's probably because we tell our wives fishing equipment doesn't cost much, then we pass and she puts a $10 sticker on the Orvis Bamboo & G-Loomis spinning setup while I roll over in my grave  ;) ;D

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 04:02 PM »
My wife came home with an Orvis trout net one time. I don't think it had ever seen a trout. .25 cents and out the door. I am afraid  to use it. Might run into the guy on a stream...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 08:20 AM »
My wife came home with an Orvis trout net one time. I don't think it had ever seen a trout. .25 cents and out the door. I am afraid  to use it. Might run into the guy on a stream...h2l

LOL
Team Comfy Skunks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.