Author Topic: Yukon X Thermal vs Aegis 2250  (Read 1542 times)

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
Yukon X Thermal vs Aegis 2250
« on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:33 AM »
Narrowed it down to these two shantys. Can't really find reviews for either wondering what everyone thinks. Looking to pull the trigger very soon. Going to be pulling by hand but making a smitty sled for it either way. No one around me has them in stock so I'll be ordering blind.

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Yukon X Thermal vs Aegis 2250
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:57 AM »
Not sure if this will be any help to you but here it goes.   I have a Yukon Thermal Cover which is the same as the Yukon X thermal only difference is on mine just the top of the canvas is thermal.   The new grey lined tub is pretty slick for helping find things especially in low light conditions.   The seats seem to sit higher than those in the Aegis and the slide back and forth on their mount (which is Metal that sits on the front edge of the sled and a metal beam that rides down the middle of the sled) as well as side to side.  can be helpful for getting gear in and out of the sled or if you are fishing alone you can take one seat out and put a single seat in any position you like.   The seats in the two are pretty similar as far as being the padded boat seat style.    The Yukon is definitely taller in height so more head room and it seems to have more fishable room out in front of the seats.   The higher seat location and the bigger foot print and height is what made me go with my Yukon last year as I am a large guy and like to not feel crammed in especially when fishing with another person.     

I looked at the Aegis the other night at Gander mountain and it is more of the size of the Clam nanook and it has that low sided sled as well as lower ceiling height and lower seat height.  which due to my dimensions just aren't right.  The other thing that is kind of off putting for me is the fact that the seats brackets are plastic on the front and had a lot of flex to them if you leaned forward.  It made me wonder how durable that plastic would be out in the cold if you leaned forward to land a fish how long will it put up with it the flexing before it became stressed and cracked or broke.  That was the only real durability issue I saw. Both  units seems pretty well built as far as canvas and poles and both have a type of lever in there to help push the pins in to collapse the poles down. Makes it real easy especially when wearing gloves.   

Offline KATfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:58 AM »
Great insight and perspective by SoftSpot.  I'll just chime in on my opinion of Aegis 2250. I currently own a Frabill Trekker II, the non-thermal version with stadium seats.  I have been thinking about the 2250 for the future (not this year) because I like the tent better than my 300 denier tent, which can be annoying on a windy day. Also, my Trekker has a rubbery coating on the inside and it needs to be resprayed because of the vast pinholing effect from the material wearing off... another story, but a consideration for any non-thermal portion of typical canopy's on almost all of the non-thermal shelters.

Aegis is really a redesign of the Trekker with of course a different name. To SoftSpot's comment, it is definitely more compact even than the Trekker from a ground to highest point inside aspect.  They made some nice improvements though, including where the shape of the windows and where they are placed. Frabill also makes all windows removable by velcro, which means they can be replaced if needed. This is a nice feature. Seats are very comfortable. The plastic rails were a change from Trekker to Aegis in order to make the shelter lighter for transport, especially by hand. It still weighs 80 lbs., but compare the weights on what you are looking at. Frabill claims it's very durable and customer service is known to be excellent if there is a problem. Also, I'm guessing these plastic parts were introduced by the engineers at Plano, the company that recently purchased Frabill. Plano knows how to make plastic strong, so I'm guessing the odds are good that it's well-constructed, although the verdict is still out on this.  Please post back what you've decided on and update us about how you like it. Good luck!

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2016, 11:03 AM »
Yeah I failed to mention that it was a redesign of the trekker model.  I am sure plano had something to do with the plastic as mentioned but it still concerns me as I go 300 pounds.   I do like the idea of the removable windows as I have those in my commando one man.  That was a great comparison between the two different models of the Frabill as far as what has been improved upon.   I honestly do not thing you can go wrong with either it just comes down to what you like in a shanty and how you fish.  Good luck with your purchase let us know how you make out and your thoughts on the shanty when you finally get it and have it assembled to see for yourself.

Offline KATfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2016, 02:14 PM »
OK - I know I said "not this year" about buying a 2250 Aegis shelter, but I came across a store model for $375 and that's the cheapest I've seen them, so, with the support of my dear wife (had to strike in the narrow window before she changes her mind) I purchased it online for store pick-up. I am going to sell my Trekker and give this model a try. I will honestly review it after on the ice and over long term to help others understand pros and cons. I am looking forward to less wind whip and also not having to recoat the inside of the 300 denier tent with Plasti-Dip or whatever else would restore it. In the end, it's all about enjoying time on the ice. To an earlier point, everyone is different, so it needs to be right for the user.  Hopefully I won't regret my decision :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.