The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hartland area  (Read 3499 times)

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
Hartland area
« on: Nov 01, 2018, 07:55 AM »
Hi folks, I live in upstate NY on the south shore of Lake Ontario. My daughter will be moving to the Hartland area. I will be making occasional trips and wondered about the ice fishing in the area nearby. I'm primarily a perch/crappie/bluegill guy. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great season.

packerbacker
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Hartland area
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2018, 09:08 AM »
Hartland is in the "heart" of what is known as "Lake Country" in SE WI. Dozens of lakes with everything from trout to muskies plus the big pond half an hour east. There are many panfish options but heavy pressure keeps the size structure on the average to smaller size. Exceptions to that exist if you're willing to walk and/or work for some special fish.

I'm maybe a dozen miles from there. Let me know when you'll be visiting and I will try to give you the current info. And thanks for being a "packerbacker" in a hostile environment.  :thumbsup: :clap:

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline ChadLeton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Welcome Packer!

Give me a shout when you'll be in the area. Happy to share info!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Hey Chad, welcome to the Shanty! I see you've been here since August and are probably still mousing around. Lots of good stuff here and great folks to go along with that. Delafield, that makes up practically neighbors.  ;D Don't get over that way to fish much, there's just too much in the Ocon area that's only 10 -15 minutes for me. Good luck this season and stay safe!

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2018, 01:00 PM »
I have family in hartland/oconomowoc area, hoping I can combine a trip to visit them with some ice fishing also this winter.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2018, 01:10 PM »
Invitation is open to you as well TCF. I'll try to overlook the fact you are probably a Vikings...  :whistle:

Offline ChadLeton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Thanks Esox. Fish throughout Lake Country quite a bit. Used to live on the West end of Ocono (2008-2015). Still fish over that way a bit. Perhaps I'll run into you out that way at some point!

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2018, 04:08 PM »
I’ll keep up on this one.

Family in North Lake and wouldn’t mind hitting the ice down there either.

Alex

Offline ChadLeton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2018, 06:33 PM »
Hey WalleyeBird,

Originally from Stevens Point and fish through the ice on Dubay and surrounding areas often each winter as well. Give a shout if you're down!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2018, 06:43 PM »
@ WalleyeBird: Know a guy that has frontage on North Lake but I haven't seen or talked to him him in years. FWIW I fish the St. Germain and Eagle River/Three Lakes area frequently as well.

@ChadLeton: DuBay has always intrigued me on the driveby. Do you fish it open water? Muskies? I may have to figure a way to bribe you...  :whistle:

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Invitation is open to you as well TCF. I'll try to overlook the fact you are probably a Vikings...  :whistle:

:whistle: ..if it helps a quarter of my family are packer fans and my wifes whole side is also.. Long term odds aren't in my favor.

Appreciate the offer, I will keep that in mind.  Bucket list is to ice fish the Harbor on the big lake, I think that's the only place it gets safe?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Pretty much. I keep seeing those Gillespie shows in the Harbor and swear I'm gonna take a swing but I never get there. I better hurry, by this time next year I expect to have moved about 4 hours farther away.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:47 AM »
We could do a SE WI Shanty outing at McKinley? Mid Jan?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:50 AM »
We could do a SE WI Shanty outing at McKinley? Mid Jan?

Deal me in! Sounds like fun  :clap:

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2018, 11:08 AM »
I know guys fish the Racine harbor area for browns too.  I might be able to make it out mid January if I'm not up north on my trip.

Offline ChadLeton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2018, 02:27 PM »
I'd attend a Harbor outing! The larger the spread and the more jigging, the more fun!

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Moved up to Oconomowoc about 3 years ago from Illinois (AND NO I'm not a Bears Fans).
Would love to hook up with you guys whenever you go out.
Started fishing in "Lake Country" and have had mixed results.
Keep me posted if you need another guy to go out with.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Hey WalleyeBird,

Originally from Stevens Point and fish through the ice on Dubay and surrounding areas often each winter as well. Give a shout if you're down!

I live across the street from Lake Wausau and was hoping to learn this one first. Have fished through the ice on DuBay with mixed results. Only ever fished where the peplin comes into the basin though. Always down for someone to show me how to fish somewhere though! Haha

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:48 PM »
@ WalleyeBird: Know a guy that has frontage on North Lake but I haven't seen or talked to him him in years. FWIW I fish the St. Germain and Eagle River/Three Lakes area frequently as

Yeah it’s just the in laws that are down there so I haven’t exactly fished down there much either. Ever stop short around tomahawk/minocqua? Unless I get my sleeper done I’d say St Germain is a bit of a hike for me. Hoping to keep my shack out at the Willow flowage quite a bit too

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Moved up to Oconomowoc about 3 years ago from Illinois (AND NO I'm not a Bears Fans).
Would love to hook up with you guys whenever you go out.
Started fishing in "Lake Country" and have had mixed results.
Keep me posted if you need another guy to go out with.

Dale! Welcome to God's Country! I really don't care if you're a Bears fan that, at least, would be tolerable. ViQueens? Sorry, that becomes a deal breaker right there.  :P

Seriously. PM me let's go when the water gets hard. Good stuff around town. Bay 5 on Okauchee early ice for keeper/eater pike and gills till late season, Fowler for hammer handle pike with a few better ones mixed in plus nice average size gills. LaBelle? Pretty much C&R but still lots of fun if you want to just do some catching.

Some sleepers in the area but not here and not now...  @)

C'mon iiiiiiiiice!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:02 PM »
Yeah it’s just the in laws that are down there so I haven’t exactly fished down there much either. Ever stop short around tomahawk/minocqua? Unless I get my sleeper done I’d say St Germain is a bit of a hike for me. Hoping to keep my shack out at the Willow flowage quite a bit too

WB, I'm retired. The world is my oyster and yes, I love oysters! Minoccua ain't a hike. Used to fish Rollie and Helen's musky tournaments there when they still had 'em. Spent most of our time on Kewaga 'cause it had some color to it. The rest, especially Tom, freaked us out. Just not used to seein' bottom in 20"+.

Willows always intrigued but never found anyone to go with and there's sooooo much closer. Could I be persuaded? heck yeah!

Around this time, or maybe a little later, I expect to be living the dream in the Three Lakes area (just south of Eagle River). Minocqua is, ahhhh, 45 minutes. I drive that to Fox and Puckaway now for better quality fishing. Willow, maybe an hour 15. Big deal. Don't have to punch the clock or answer to anyone. And no, I'm not a particularly bad influence.  @)

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Esox- I’m in pretty much the opposite situation as you. Haha. 25 and very much tied to the punch clock. I said tomahawk because working in merrill, that’s where most people I know have tips for. Never fished minocqua area but there’s lots of good water there to learn and I’d love to.

I’ve snowmobiled extensively in the three lakes and eagle river area so I’m fairly familiar at least with it.

With this forecast buddy is talking about going out in Siren this weekend. May give it a try if he says the ice is good.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:43 AM »
I know everyone is anxious but it is not going to get that cold until Friday night. I think there won't be any safe ice this weekend. I'm hoping for around Thanksgiving. No need to get wet. There will still be plenty of lakes you can take a boat out on.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:48 AM »
I know everyone is anxious but it is not going to get that cold until Friday night. I think there won't be any safe ice this weekend. I'm hoping for around Thanksgiving. No need to get wet. There will still be plenty of lakes you can take a boat out on.

Yeah there's no way there will be fishable ice in Siren this weekend. Maybe mid-next week but it will still be sketchy at best.
Da Pack!

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:20 AM »
He seems pretty confident that there will be. Haha. Wouldn’t be till Sunday night that I’d even be able to go. He’s gonna check where it’s at Saturday. I don’t really expect it to work out either.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:29 AM »
He seems pretty confident that there will be. Haha. Wouldn’t be till Sunday night that I’d even be able to go. He’s gonna check where it’s at Saturday. I don’t really expect it to work out either.

Well if there is let me know!! I have Sunday afternoon open and it's not much over an hour for me. I'll bring the beer ;)
Da Pack!

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 07, 2018, 12:13 PM »
As the McKinley/Summerfest Lagoon brown bite has become more popular, the fishing has gotten much worse.  I haven't even tried the past few years due to all the pressure - especially on the weekends.  But it's still kind of a bucket list destination, so I get the enthusiasm behind it.  I always did fine on small to medium shiners under tip ups and then jigging a white road runner jig or a small rippin rap.  They both have their time and place!  I would try to get out there very early to stake out your spots and then use your extra tip ups/autos to define "your area".  You'll still have guys coming out and popping holes and everything mid morning... people don't understand that browns aren't like pike - you gotta keep from spooking them!  If you guys do pick a date for such a trip, I'll see if I can sneak away from the Mrs. and newborn.  I've wanted to ice fish with Chad for years!

Offline ChadLeton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 07, 2018, 12:52 PM »
As the McKinley/Summerfest Lagoon brown bite has become more popular, the fishing has gotten much worse.  I haven't even tried the past few years due to all the pressure - especially on the weekends.  But it's still kind of a bucket list destination, so I get the enthusiasm behind it.  I always did fine on small to medium shiners under tip ups and then jigging a white road runner jig or a small rippin rap.  They both have their time and place!  I would try to get out there very early to stake out your spots and then use your extra tip ups/autos to define "your area".  You'll still have guys coming out and popping holes and everything mid morning... people don't understand that browns aren't like pike - you gotta keep from spooking them!  If you guys do pick a date for such a trip, I'll see if I can sneak away from the Mrs. and newborn.  I've wanted to ice fish with Chad for years!

This is the year Mark! Big Pond or inland. It's even been far too long since I've been on Washington Co Lakes through the hardwater. If I have to come your way I'll do it!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 07, 2018, 01:24 PM »
Washington Co. is just across the road from me. Lessee, Pike, Freiss, Keesus, Lake Five, Druid, the Cedars plus all the "potholes". Big Cedar has always drawn me but I like pike. Just don't know enough to go prospect thru the ice. I should go now in the boat and have a looksee.

Speaking of pike, any good in the Harbor or is that a different time or place?

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 07, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Esox-Will be in contact when the ice starts, hoping it's sooner than later.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.