Author Topic: Conesus jigs  (Read 2980 times)

Offline seaflea

• IceShanty Rookie
Conesus jigs
« on: Mar 01, 2019, 03:25 PM »
Does anyone make brass and or copper Conesus style jigs anymore.

Online Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Conesus jigs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2019, 05:29 AM »
Sadly, I don't think anybody makes any style of those any more. I scored a half dozen at a flea market 8 or 9 years ago. they were the first I had seen in 40 years. If you find a vendor, please post it for us. Combined with an oak leaf grub, they were deadly on perch.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2019, 05:43 AM »
I had to do a Google search to link back to an old IceShanty story to see what you were talking about.

The Jig Em Up Jigs look simple enough to make, though. Another thread said that HT Enterprises sold them as Bohemian Rocker jigs. Here's an actual link implying they still have a few in stock... http://htice.com/BKB-6/

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2019, 09:31 AM »
Used to love those things.   And if I remember correctly the last dozen or so I gave to my father to use when I was out of ice fishing for a while.
Don

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2019, 12:20 PM »
https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/mcgathys-1-14-wide-fan-stainless-steel/

Here you go!  I bought these a few years ago so I knew they still made them. In-fisherman calls it "fishing the bead". 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Is this what you are looking for?
 https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi839.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz318%2FGamma-Fish%2FJIGS003.jpg&hash=c0b30ff1f19865b2cfd603b0bd215c96

You could make them yourself with a little time, good summer project. Cut and bend the brass from a sheet of the correct thickness, Cut the eye off a hook and solder hook to blank, cover solder joint with epoxy died to the desired color if wanted.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Dustr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2019, 02:00 PM »
Are you talking about this style of Conesus jigs? You may have to tweak the bend a little to get the correct action for rolling a float.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Essex-Russian-Spoon-Jigs-WONDERBREAD-Firetiger-Wonder-Bread-Glow-5-COLORS/312486091937?hash=item48c19f5ca1:m:m6kJiBvnv1BJFBa5carTTO w:rk:1:pf:0

Offline seaflea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2019, 05:02 PM »
All similar, I have HT Bohemian rockers, they work pretty good. When I lived on Onieda's north shore I used to spend the entire winter perch fishing. Never used anything but brass conesus jigs. They got down deep quickly, and the perch loved them! I was actually thinking about tooling up a small punch press and building them. If I could find some I would buy a bunch!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2019, 09:51 PM »
The "jig em up jigs" are the closest to the Conesus jigs.  The Conesus jig did not have the vertical crease bend down the middle like the McGathy's .  I remember the Conesus jigs and a perch eyes were un-stoppable for perch.

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:13 AM »

Is this one??? Found it in my tackle box

Offline seaflea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2019, 11:34 AM »
No, but I remeber using ones just like that when I was a kid. Conesus jig is triangular shaped and bent a lttle up at the wide end. We always had brass ones,
but they came in copper and nickle plate as well. The pic of the jig 'em up is the closest I've seen.

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2019, 02:00 PM »
Got last bunch from eBay seller. $12.50

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2019, 03:44 PM »

Is this one??? Found it in my tackle box

The ones you show here are called Russian Hooks, very popular in the 60-70's.  Dickey Tackle Co sold them.

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:24 PM »
Got my jigs yesterday (Bohemian Rocker) 12 pcs. Orange, Green, and Pink...all glow size 6 hook...it seems like similar to conesus jigs....but for $12.50 thought not bad.
Icejohn

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:10 PM »
You got it, that's the best copy of the original Conesus jig I have seen, but too much color and design, make them planer.

Offline jperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:49 PM »
The Conesus jigs were the ticket for the deep, light biteing perch on Conesus back in the seventies.  They were used with a small round bobber, often tipped with a Michigan wiggler.  The method was to roll the bobber just under the surface, the shape and weight of the jigs allowed little to no line slack.  When the bobber roll did anything different you set the hook.  You then brought the perch in hand over hand.  These jigs were made be some Kodak workers, one of whom was a hunting buddy.  They used either blanks made of german silver or heavy brass.  The german silver jigs worked best for us, we polished them up to the point that they looked like jewelry.  They were great on Conesus but not really needed on Sodus or Sandy Ponds where the perch seemed to be more aggressive.  Also on those bodies of water the dang pike stole many of my Conesus jigs.  I sure miss those old days on Conesus.
jperch

Offline seaflea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2019, 11:09 AM »
yep, bobber rolling was the technique. The weight of the brass ones helped get right back down to the bottom in deep water. I may have found a source for someone to stamp some brass for me. We'll see what we come up with.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2019, 01:17 PM »
We used the Conesus jigs with perch eyes for years on Silver Lake with a lot of success, and yes the bobber roll was the best strike technique at that time.  Good old memories.

Offline floatafly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2019, 04:00 PM »
Jperch you bring back wonderful memories. I used them so much I had to solder/ brazen hooks back on after they broke. Good times. Thanks

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2019, 07:06 AM »

I think i found an original, asking you guys that have had them?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2019, 10:22 PM »

I think i found an original, asking you guys that have had them?

What you show are some what close, but not the real McCoy.  The Jig Em Up and the Bohemian Rockers are the closest to the original Conesus Jigs.  Silver and brass were the hot colors back then (see attached).

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi839.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz318%2FGamma-Fish%2FJIGS003.jpg&hash=c0b30ff1f19865b2cfd603b0bd215c96

http://htice.com/BKB-6/

Offline Wnylures

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2019, 09:12 AM »
What I see there 2 version the first version was made with 2 metals ( I have one an the old timer said this is the original version) version 2 is kinda like the ht version one piece metal but little different made from brass.

Offline Wnylures

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2019, 09:17 AM »

This what the original looked liked brass on top nickel on bottom old timer told me this is the original version 1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.