Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Quad questions  (Read 1756 times)

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
Quad questions
« on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:20 AM »
Looking at getting a 2007 Polaris sportsmen 450. What do you guys run? Also what is good or bad with chains, windshields, winch, or a plow? Going to be used for ice fishing and maybe a couple trails that are close to home. Have kids 10-13 and want to teach them how to drive!!! Let me know!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Quad questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:28 AM »
ride it first and make sure it has service records - ride it to full temp too, make sure the fan comes on and everything works
Chains will help if pushing or pulling a heavy load, good tires help getting through snow
Get a synthetic winch cable, they're easier to deal with than steel
Use a setup like this for lifting the plow https://www.amazon.com/Moose-Racing-Pully-Plow-Systems/dp/B0055ZMUBW you can do the same thing with a lifting block https://www.harborfreight.com/4000-lb-capacity-lifting-block-62456.html or https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-1-12-ton-capacity-aluminum-sheave-block-with-hook-63693.html

I'd buy a 90cc atv for the kids

Catchin' Fish

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:49 PM »
I’m not sure if Polaris has changed......years ago we had a couple Honda 4 wheelers and a Polaris.....Polaris was belt driven and a POS because the belt would slip whenever it would get wet. If it is belt driven I would pass.

Can’t say much now since we run gators and one Honda.

I have aggressive tread on my tires and never need chains on it ice fishing. The only time I put chains on the rear tires is when I pull my ice castle out with a dolly. If you put chains on make sure they are tight and no tag ends hanging off or you will screw up the plastic fenders big time.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:54 PM »
I used to work for soil sampling company and the first quad i had was a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 450. Until then i was a Polaris hater, after running them for five years i came to appreciate them. They are solid quads, not going to win any races but solid. See how many hours are on it and if there are any kind of service records. I don’t pay much attention to how many miles are on it. I only threw one belt on any of them i ran. Seemed like they needed to be replaced after 150-200 hours. Typically after 300 we would check the clutches, if they had a groove worn in them they needed replaced. That being said when it came time to buy my own quad i got a 2004 honda Forman, had the same one growing up and my brother still runs it, the only thing he’s done to it is change the carburetor. Mine only gets used for ice season and a few other times a year so i don’t need anything fancy or new.... Thought about chains but the only thing that really slows it down is deep snow and i don’t think chains will help much then. Good luck!!!!

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2021, 11:22 AM »
I know there are differing opinions on it but I think chains are a good idea especially from a safety standpoint.  On glare ice you have much better control if you are chained up front and rear, can actually steer and stop/go.  In deep snow they help you get down to the ice to grip, however if its really deep you will still get high centered.  Best advise there is to keep your speed up.

I have a 450cc quad and love it, also have a 2004 touring sled I got to use on Winnipeg and I can definitely see the advantages to that too.

If you go quad, I really recommend the chains.

Offline Bowkill78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2021, 12:42 PM »
I've heard that belt rip on Polaris for years.  Understand your machine.  Belts can be tightened.  I have 2 Polaris.  99 500 and a 16 570.  Great machines.  Just take a lil time to understand what you have and it will do whatever you want.  You will learn from trips you take with it as far as what you want for tires and that.  But don't worry about the belt. I have worked the crap out of my machines in all weather and wet belts and had zero issues.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:11 PM »
I've heard that belt rip on Polaris for years.  Understand your machine.  Belts can be tightened.  I have 2 Polaris.  99 500 and a 16 570.  Great machines.  Just take a lil time to understand what you have and it will do whatever you want.  You will learn from trips you take with it as far as what you want for tires and that.  But don't worry about the belt. I have worked the crap out of my machines in all weather and wet belts and had zero issues.

Drive it through shallow creek areas or shallow river spots where a belt gets wet.......then go up a steep bank. The belt will slip even if it is tight. That is why you hear the rip on Polaris being belt driven. Because it is an issue that shouldn't have to be having a tight belt doesn't fix the issue.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2021, 10:05 AM »
if you polaris belt slips when wet you likely need to seal up the pvt cover - they have a gasket that goes bad from time to time or the bolts loosen
you shouldn't have water get to the pvt unless you get water in the "snorkel"

Catchin' Fish

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2021, 11:36 AM »
if you polaris belt slips when wet you likely need to seal up the pvt cover - they have a gasket that goes bad from time to time or the bolts loosen
you shouldn't have water get to the pvt unless you get water in the "snorkel"

We drove it through low areas on creeks and the Little Sioux River. The ATV's got used every day for chores and fun. I'm sure Polaris is a fine brand depending on what you want. What we used them for....it didn't hold up. If your just going to drag a shack out to ice fish and a few trails I'm sure it be fine.

After the experiance with the Polaris my uncle had.....we will never own one again for any of the farming stuff. The thing didn't hold up for crap. Plastic racks cracked and broke, thing was always in the shop getting something fixed. It just was not even close to what the Honda 4 wheelers were in quality or durability. We tried a Suzuki king quad that was a pretty good 4 wheeler and held up well until it caught on fire and burned up.

Offline Bowkill78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2021, 11:56 AM »
I'm with snitch.  Had mine in places I would never recommend without problems or slippage.  I understand that Honda puts out a great product and have ridden them for years as well when I was growing up farming.  They were certainly a better machine in those days.  I just don't see that big of difference anymore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.