Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Bodies of Water Near Iowa City  (Read 1006 times)

Offline midwest fishing freak

• IceShanty Rookie
Bodies of Water Near Iowa City
« on: Nov 11, 2018, 11:21 PM »
I am new to Iowa, attending the University of Iowa. I have been ice fishing all over Wisconsin and Illinois for my entire life and was wondering if anybody would be kind enough to share any good bodies of water or ponds that are good during the winter somewhat near Iowa City. I'm not asking for a honey hole or anything, just a catch and release fisherman trying to find out about the bodies of water and what type of fish are prominent here to adjust how I'd fish. Any tips would be helpful because I have no clue about Iowa fishing. Thank you!!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bodies of Water Near Iowa City
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2018, 09:15 AM »
Macbride
Palo (Pleasant Creek)
Kent Park (being rehabbed, drained)

Metro area...I think people fish waterworks pond, the pit off hwy 6 near South Gilbert, Terry Trueblood/Sand Lake
A little further away is Lake Belvedeer and Iowa Lake, Cedar River backwaters, ponds around Cedar Rapids/Marion, etc.

Catchin' Fish

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline fishnhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:53 PM »
There are lots of little ponds in the area. Behind Costco, right in North Liberty, in some sub divisions like Windsor Ridge which is off American Legion rode.

Get on Google Earth. That’s how I’ve found some. You can always do the same in the country and just pull in and ask the owner for permission so long as you’re not afraid to be told no now and then.

Good luck and maybe I’ll see you out this winter.
[img]http://www.iowaoutdoors.org/albums/oldbear/team_iowa_logo5.thumb[im_]

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:48 PM »
lake macbride offers some peaceful fishing with nice scenery

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.