Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: filet knives  (Read 1557 times)

Offline wind burnt

• IceShanty Rookie
filet knives
« on: Dec 28, 2013, 01:04 PM »
I just started ice-fishing last winter and threw everything back, so there was no need to clean any fish. Thinking I will be keeping a few bigger crappie for the pan and want to know what everyone prefers to use to clean your catch. I'm thinking a small filet knife would probably work the best.  Thoughts?

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
Re: filet knives
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2013, 01:14 PM »
I use mister twister electric knife and a bubba blade. Electric ones I think are a must have for cleaning multiples.

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2013, 03:21 PM »
I never keep any more than we can eat for a meal so I use the old school hand fillet knife.  The electric knife is way to go if you are cleaning a lot of fish but I think they waste a lot of the meat.  jmo  :)

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:19 PM »
I never keep any more than we can eat for a meal so I use the old school hand fillet knife.  The electric knife is way to go if you are cleaning a lot of fish but I think they waste a lot of the meat.  jmo  :)

I forgot to say that. They do waste meat.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:50 PM »
Other than the learning curve wasting meat I can say i think i waste more the original way. Unless you're knife is extremely sharp and you're good at sharpening it it'd be though to beat that mister twister electric. I can feel the bones much better with my electric.

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:05 PM »
Lol Prestonc.....I'm sure your Mister Twister may be a bit faster but I'd take that challenge about the wasting meat part.  :)

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:11 PM »
I use a american angler with a shark blade or sabre blade something like that.  I use to think I was wasting fish using it but in reality their isn't much meat over the rib cage to worry about it IMO.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:49 PM »
I use a american angler with a shark blade or sabre blade something like that.  I use to think I was wasting fish using it but in reality their isn't much meat over the rib cage to worry about it IMO.

Same here, they are shark blades. I think mine is the freedom fillet, its discontinued now though. Its cordless rechargeable.

A trick for removing the ribs and saving meat is to press down on the bottom side of the ribs, this will push them up. Get your knife under the bones and point it up at a 45 deg angle and cut just the ribs out while leaving the meat beneath them. It takes some practice, but once you get it down its easy to do.

I can see through the carcass when I'm done with the electric knife, not wasting any meat there. It makes cleaning small fish easy, I don't catch big fish so no need to worry about that.  ;D
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Hobie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:07 PM »
I have blown tons of money on what I was told were good filet knives.   Finally went el cheapo and started using the white handled Dexter filet knife.   Go to almost any butcher and you will see them using them.  Six inch was about $12.  Hold a decent edge and as long as you don't completely kill it  you can touch it up with a steel every few fish. 

Also agree with most others on the electric.  If I am doing a pile of gills or yellows will break it out.  Otherwise stick to the old fashioned method.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:33 AM »
mjlenz, I think the difference would be very small.  I know that I can not even compete with myself using a regular filet knife vs. an electric for speed and meat (I will also admit I probably use my electric to clean 10 fish to every one I clean with the regular knife so I am better practiced with the electric which would make a big difference).  I still use a regular filet knife when cleaning less than 5 fish (wife doesn't like them cleaned in the house and to have electricity in my garage I have to run an extension cord (PIA).  I won't argue though. You may very well be able to get more meat than me electric vs regular, but I wouldn't trade it for anything other than someone else doing it for me.  I even get more off the back of the ribs with my electric than with my regular (again better practiced).

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:35 AM »
I use a small Rapala that I've had since a kid....just keep it sharp and treat it well. I have a larger scheels and BPS knives and never use them unless its on a 5+ lb cat

Catchin' Fish

Offline ripNlips83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:02 AM »
I use an old gerber that ive had since i was a kid. I make a cut behind the side fin and then hold my knife vertically and make a 1/4" cut right accros where the ribs meet the spine keep going till till you get past the ribs then run your knife through and take the rest of the fillet. then hold the fillet up with your thumb and just follow the ribs down. You get all the meat, and do not get into the guts at all. Does anyone else fillet out the head meat? You get a nice tirangle off the head of them slabs

Offline jayfk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:20 PM »
I have leech lake knife that cuts great and holds a edge very well. You have to be careful cause the last 2 inches of the back side of the blade is razor sharp too. Another plus is they are made in Iowa by custom cutlery. If you ever want it sharpened the knife can be sent to them and they will do it for you.

Offline wind burnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Well, thanks for all the input everyone. I made a trip into town today and swung into a Gander Mtn. and decided to go the cheap route on my first filet knife and walked out the door with this.( 7" Rapala)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:09 PM »
Nothing wrong with that knife at all, do you have the tools to hone it after every use? If so it should stay sharp for years.

You sharpen an edge once, you hone it for life.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:33 PM »
I use an old gerber that ive had since i was a kid. I make a cut behind the side fin and then hold my knife vertically and make a 1/4" cut right accros where the ribs meet the spine keep going till till you get past the ribs then run your knife through and take the rest of the fillet. then hold the fillet up with your thumb and just follow the ribs down. You get all the meat, and do not get into the guts at all. Does anyone else fillet out the head meat? You get a nice tirangle off the head of them slabs

I fillet to the head on gills and crappies all the time

Catchin' Fish

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Ive used the swedish wood handled fillet knife for years. Couple yrs ago got a guy Christmas gift from my dad which was a rapala 7" which i really like & now my first choice.

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2013, 09:10 PM »
after experience with an electric knife you don't waste.  No more than a typical fillet knife anyway.  Then use fillet to take ribs out.

No doubt electric.  I use electric from crappies, gills, walleye, perch, and even trout (but have to use fillet to get skin off.......no waste.

Offline sksemke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:17 AM »
I actually use an electric knife that I got from Dollar General for $10. I went to walmart and got the Rappala blades and they fit perfect. When I first started using an electric knife I think I probably did waste alot of meat, but now I can filet even the smallest fish with nothing going to waste.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.