Author Topic: Box tip up plans  (Read 32014 times)

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Box tip up plans
« on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:31 PM »
I fished with a buddy from college this weekend and all they use is homemade box tip ups. they worked amazing and got me wanting a set. did a few searches on here and on the internet and never really found any plans. I am gonna attempt to build them from memory and such but was just wondering if anybody had any plans to construct one of these things.  thanks.

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Box tip up plans
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:49 AM »

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:50 PM »

Offline yoslick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2012, 03:06 PM »
Didn't see this before but heres what I made, they are 16 inches wide, 14 inches high and 10 inches deep, used 3/8 inch green treat, sprayed the inside and out with truck undercoating for water proofing and then lined the insides with a foiled backed bubble wrap for HVAC to keep the heat in and the cold out. Simple tuna can to put the candle I use in and they really work great!! I've got 2 with pager style alarm systems on them to hear them in the house and also this one with the Frabil Arctic Siren with strobe to see at night. I divided the inside by a third with a small 4 inch wall to keep the the tuna can safe from going down the hole. Now I used the Frabil round tip ups for simplicity as every thing you need was right there, spool, flag, trip device etc... as well as visibility as the feebs around here are known to run over your tip ups especially if the snow is deep,  around here you find them at garage sales for like $5 or less so it was simple drilling a 2 inch hole in the top and dropping the spool thru and using some short wood screws to attach the tip up to the lid. I used a simple hasp to keep the lid tight when in use. Hole in the bottom of the box is 10 inches but thats the size of my auger. Just weighed this one and it was 4 pounds soaking wet. Candles are from Candle Lite in Ohio, burn for 12 hours each,I buy them by the gross and get a really good deal. Oh be sure to drill 2  1/2 inch holes thru the sides near the top opposite sides/corners so the candles get enough air, with out them the boxes get a little frosty inside and will put out the candles..

Slick!!   @)  ;D 
DCC(SW/MTS) US Navy retired 75-95

Offline yoslick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2012, 04:18 PM »
Heres what we catch in em!!

You can see a model my nephew made in the back ground of this pic-

we caught these standing outside the hardside while we were watching the boxes-

Slick!!
DCC(SW/MTS) US Navy retired 75-95

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2014, 08:11 AM »
I'm suspecting your candle is going to go out with no oxygen after a bit.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2014, 11:24 AM »
Maybe some pics showing them in action?

Otherwise it looks like nothing more than a storage unit with extra "gadgets" that need explaining.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2015, 12:08 AM »
Maybe some pics showing them in action?

Otherwise it looks like nothing more than a storage unit with extra "gadgets" that need explaining.

It is a heated box ( candle normally) that keeps the hole from freezing over.   Great idea, but too bulky for most.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO3TpI1Pu9Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eVMaqLaX78

Same idea, But has movement added...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h1DMN41ya0

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2015, 12:12 AM »
I'm suspecting your candle is going to go out with no oxygen after a bit.

Yes, you need air holes.  If you look closely at the pics from post #4 you can see the air holes.

Offline the fisherman guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2015, 12:52 PM »
I like them for the fun factor. Keeping the candle lit in a wind is a real pain. Landing large fish through the box is a pain. My advice is to stain it black for visibility, insulation and to resist water penetrating the wood.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.