Author Topic: Needed-advice on buying an ATV  (Read 10455 times)

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
Needed-advice on buying an ATV
« on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:40 PM »
Hey Guys,
 I am looking into buying an ATV for ice fishing use, as well as year round use(In upstate New York).

The advice I need is:
-I've seen in many comments on other threads that people are using 400's, is that due to weight?
-Should I be looking into tire size to get me through the snow?
-What should be the recommended engine size be?
-Should I look into an ATV that can have tracks put on?
-What are the conditions that cause you to leave the quad behind, instead of taking it on the lake. Does it fare well in some slush?

We will have 2 adults fishing most of the time. Most likely towing a small sled behind with our tent/gear.

-Thank you! It's a lot better hearing advice from fellow fisherman than a dealership!
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Needed-advice on buying an ATV
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:43 PM »
I use a Grizzly 660 its perfect buy yourself a set of tire chains for the rear wheels. Most important make sure what ever you buy its 4x4. That pulls everything I bring out and then some good luck ! tight lines

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Thank you for the info, 4x4 is for sure a must! Ill check into some yamahas, i know theres a few places near me that sell grizzlies.
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:30 PM »
I use a Grizzly 660 its perfect buy yourself a set of tire chains for the rear wheels. Most important make sure what ever you buy its 4x4. That pulls everything I bring out and then some good luck ! tight lines
I have a grizzly also and don't run chain never had an issue . I tow my 6x8 permy w it and have a 2up seat on the back
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Its looking like I should put the grizzly on the top of the list!
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:56 PM »
I have a canam 500............tow my hard shack all over Schroon Lake with no issues........love the EFI also starts right up in the cold...........i highly recommend a good battery so your not stranded though.......battery tender works nicely.

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:05 PM »
i run an arctic cat 550 with efi..battery tender is almost a must..and a set of chains should help ya...thats just my .02 though
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:19 PM »
Thank you guys! I'm heading to a dealership Monday to check some of these options out :)
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline gillbuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:27 PM »
I run a can am 1000 outlander xt with snow plow would not trade other for maybe side by side.

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:28 PM »
Cant believe nobody has said Honda. My rancher 350 is bulletproof.  It has been submerged to the racks in water and still runs like a champ. I have 25" maxxis bighorn 2.0 tires and it does amazing in snow. Riding ditches the other day my friends grizzly was constantly getting stuck because it was too heavy and sunk into the drifts while mine stayed on top for the most part. That being said, nothing beats a canam. They are incredible but cost $$$. Any atv with tracks is unbeatable also.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2015, 10:01 PM »
ADK11,

I bought a Suzuki Vinson 500 manual shift back in '05...it was a brand new 2006 model that I ordered in and waited for. The reason why I bought what I bought is because I did some extensive research on a number of models and decided that for what I do...that was my best choice. I USE my wheeler to plant food plots, plow snow, skid logs, pull a lawn sweeper/cart, drag a deer, etc., etc. ALL at low speeds and sometimes, rpms. It's water cooled plus, I have the option of 5 forward speeds in both high and low range, along with reverse, and park. I like the ability of choosing WHICH gear I want to work in rather than the machine constantly shifting up or down to meet the need's demand. I also have a solid rear axle, which does not make for smooth trail riding, BUT is preferable if you're going to do work with your machine, especially pulling attachments that have some weight to them. I have less than 1000 miles on it as of this post and have not one complaint...not one. You buy what's best suited for your needs... I KNOW I bought what's best suited for mine. I did buy a set of rear chains, but most of the time I don't need them... my machine would climb a tree if I could hang on!!

WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2015, 11:25 PM »
Look for EFI, electric power steering, and 4 wheel diff lock. Essentials in my book.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2015, 02:55 AM »
I have also been looking. My snowmobile works great but I only seem to need it once a year in the slush/snow conditions we sometimes get. My first choice is the Grizzly because of the price, engine, ground clearance. My question is about the Polaris though. It seems that they break down more than the other models mentioned and spend more time in the repair shops. Just don't know if that is true or not. Thoughts?

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2015, 07:50 PM »
My son got a great deal on a 2007 Eiger 400, new, at the end of the season in '07. He wasn't using it much, so he turned it over to me. With chains, without chains, it got stuck fairly frequently.  Wouldn't go in slush or even moderate snow /snow drifts. We got after market tracks. LOVE THEM! No more getting stuck. Got a great deal on an almost new set. However, last year, she started over heating on long trips. The dealer says she just doesn't have enough of an engine for the tracks and the way I use her. I pull the second to largest jet sled, outfitted with enough gear to stay out, in a portable shanty, for up to four nights, never leaving the ice. I tow about 350lbs. I'm about 250lbs. I have a tool kit (in case I throw a track) that's almost 100lbs (jack included). I go out hard core and heavy duty. There tracks weigh almost 100lbs. EACH. Total weight, with the machine, is approaching 3/4 of a ton. And yes, I only take it out on 6" or better of ice, preferably 8-10". So, yes, I am asking too much from the machine. A few years ago, I had to have the carb re-jetted, to run better under load. This year, I'm trying to cut down on the gear and weight, leaving some things in the car. And I start a diet tomorrow. LOL. When I can save up the money, I hope a 750 is in my future. That will be enough machine for my needs.

Maybe someone mentioned this, but I didn't see it. You will need a helmet for each rider. Have no more than the number of riders on it than it was built for at the factory. You need to have it registered and liability insurance if taking it off private property. Don't take it on NY groomed snowmobile trails. When towing, you need a rigid tow bar, especially if you have a passenger on the towed item. You must not go any faster that enough speed to move it forward near fishermen/women, ice skaters, shantys, etc. Do not exceed 55mph on public property (lakes), not that mine will, lugging that amount of gear! LOL. Do not take it on public highways. And of course, do not DWI. Not complying with the above will get you tickets / fines and headaches you don't need. I hope this helps. Good luck with it!

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:00 PM »
Polaris sportsman BABY

Offline icefanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2015, 05:38 AM »
I bought a polaris sportsman 400 couple years back.  I plow and  tow my fishing stuff no problem.  They are all good machines a lot depends on price and loyalty to a brand.  Only thing I would say is stay away from the electric shift Hondas.  Honda motors are bullet proof but when that electric crap breaks it isn't cheap.

Offline hollywood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:16 AM »
I bought a Polaris Sportsman 500 2 years ago, it has been a great machine for me. A lot of it's use is in the woods- some of it very steep- I love the EBS (engine braking system) for coming back down the hills. I assume that most guys that use 4 wheelers for ice fishing also have use for it the other 9 months of the year. They will work fine for ice fishing except in deep snow. Mine has no chains- I'm good to go through 12, maybe 15 inches of snow (heavy wet snow, not so much, fluff is no problem), after that- it sucks. Not the machines fault- it wasn't built for those conditions... a snowmobile is. Burying a 4 wheeler out ice fishing sucks and makes for a long day. Stay off with it when heavy snow creates slush underneath. I would definitely want a winch on it & a method to get it unburied using the winch if necessary. If the primary use for the machine would be for ice fishing- buy a sled. If the primary use is the other 9 months of the year- buy a wheeler that meets all your requirements for that and use it on ice when conditions permit. When the only tool you own is a hammer... everything starts looking like a nail... How about a wheeler & a sled!

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:42 AM »
Sportsman 800efi w chains and a plow unstoppable!!!

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:58 AM »
I guess Polaris is o.k. then. I would probably keep the sled for a backup though. It is a Polaris Indy Lite and runs pretty good as long I stay away from the ethanol gas.

Fishmon

« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:07 AM »
I have an 450 Arctic Cat with EFI, 4x4 with differential  lock and put chains on rear wheels when snow got over a foot deep with  slush last year and it ran great.  I tow a 2 man shelter with all my junk and never got stuck.  I never had to put it in 4x4 mode; just ran it as a 4x2 with chains on rear.  If you do run it as a 4x4, you should put chains on all 4  wheels to prevent any damage to  drive train caused by wheel spin. Another must for any wheeler is a battery tender.  Most of the newer machines have electronic clocks, etc. that will drain your battery over time.

Offline balebuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Don't be afraid of an artic cat 500. For the money a great machine

Offline IcemanADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:10 AM »
I feel the tire chains are the most critical. Once the snow/slush gets too deep, your going to struggle no matter what. Unless you want to drop $3000-$5000 on a set of tracks.

I'd love to be able to afford/find an old Ski Doo Tundra. We used to climb mountains on those things. Trouble is, no one that has one wants to get rid of it.
"As I grow older, I've come to suspect that I have got it backwards, and that life, at its best, is a metaphor for fishing and writing. Or perhaps neither side of any metaphor is finally dominant, the one inextricably tied to its contrasting likeness, no longer merely a point of comparison but yoked in a new existence to its other self."
Wayne Fields

Offline madflasher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:24 AM »
they are all pretty good.  Each brand has a few creature comforts that the next one doesn't.  EFI is great since the single cylinder ones are pretty high compression amd turn over hard when cold.  I have seen brand new quads that were carbeurated not wanna start when cold just because they wouldn't turn over quite fast enough.  Put a battery boost on them and instantly they would start.  I've been running an Polaris Sportsman EFI since '09 with no issues!

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:06 AM »
Thank you all for the advice! Heading to check them out today. Most of the time there isn't more than a foot of snow on the lakes up here, wind blows it all off. Sportmans and grizzlies I'll check them out! Thanks a ton!
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:42 AM »
Seems like you guys have some big machines. I bought a polaris sportsman 335 and it has drug out a TON of deer, RIPPED across Oneida as well as many other nys lakes and really have never gotten it stuck. 700 IMO is way to much machine that you really dont need, but to each their own

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:52 AM »
Got a used arctic cat 500 last year and it was the best ice fishing investment yet. I put a set of kenda executioner tires with 1 1/4 " knobs on them and never been stuck. Pulled myself, my fat buddy and all equipment and shacks out to the middle of Oneida through a ton of snow no problem. Just put a winch and plow on it and it works great. Either way whatever you decide I'm sure you're going to love it.

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Tires are the best upgrade you can make. If you have a big machine 28" maxxis bighorns are awesome. I have 25" bighorn 2.0s on my smaller rancher 350 and they help a lot too. Always go up at least an inch or 2 when replacing stock tire because you will gain clearance and flotation.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2015, 01:44 PM »
When talking about tires, I checked the air in mine the other day and one looked a little soft...checked air pressure and it was only about 10 psi.  Tire says it can hold up to 36 psi!!  Im thinking no way.  Front now have 15 psi and back 20 psi.  Any thoughts or recommendations.....36 seems ridiculously high....or am I way off.
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2015, 01:54 PM »
When talking about tires, I checked the air in mine the other day and one looked a little soft...checked air pressure and it was only about 10 psi.  Tire says it can hold up to 36 psi!!  Im thinking no way.  Front now have 15 psi and back 20 psi.  Any thoughts or recommendations.....36 seems ridiculously high....or am I way off.
Way off - I run 6 - 8 depending on the type of riding, i.e. hard or soft ground.

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2015, 02:12 PM »
What do you guys think about the size for 2 adults?
Loving the Adirondacks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.