Author Topic: New truck opinions  (Read 3009 times)

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
New truck opinions
« on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:33 AM »
I'm here as last resort since I can't make my mind up on a new truck.  ???  I'm looking at trading my 07 lifted quad cab Cummins for a half ton.  Never owned a 1/2 ton just 3/4 to so Saturday I went to all the truck lots and drove them all.  I'm stuck between a 2013 XLT F 150 super crew cab and a 2014 Toyota Tundra.  All in all they are both nice trucks, the Tundra has a few more options though.  The deal I got working on them is almost the same but the Ford is the best at 10k out the door.  Looking for input from owners of either. 
Thanks for the help
Doing it better than I did it yesterday.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: New truck opoins
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:38 AM »
I do not personally own either but a buddy has the Toyota Tundra and milage is terrible. Is this common with them? Just thought I would throw it out there.

WS

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New truck opinions
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2014, 11:47 AM »
My friends love their Ecoboost Fords. I personally would look into the new V6 diesel Ram has out, the preliminary mileage looks good.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2014, 12:30 PM »
Here is my set-up:

image upload with preview

It is a 2012 F150 XLT Super Crew with the 5.0 EDIT: Flex Fuel engine. I love this truck. It is loaded with options and very comfortable with loads of room for everyone. This trailer is the heaviest thing I tow with it and it handles it just fine. I am getting pretty good mileage with it considering it is a truck.

Offline cobra_sleds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Not sure how soon you want to buy a truck, but I believe its the 2015 model year when Nissan will have a 1/2 ton truck with an optional Cummins 5 liter V8. I work for Cummins, so I know this is happening, just can't say for sure what year.

Otherwise, given the 2 options you listed, I would go with Ford.
“The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit.”

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2014, 12:38 PM »
Here is my set-up:

It is a 2012 F150 XLT Super Crew with the 5.0 ecoboost engine. I love this truck. It is loaded with options and very comfortable with loads of room for everyone. This trailer is the heaviest thing I tow with it and it handles it just fine. I am getting pretty good mileage with it considering it is a truck.

Lavman, which engine do you have?? The Ecoboost is a double-turbo 3.5 liter V6.....5.0 is the V-8 (302 cid).
I have a 2010 with the 5.4 Triton, and mileage sucks. (I knew it would) I ordered the lower geared rear-end with the Detroit locker, (3:76) but it came in with the higher geared one...can't imagine what the mileage would have been with the lower geared one.  I average about 14.5 in town..19 on the highway. ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2014, 04:14 PM »
I was looking to buy this week but I just seen that GMC/Chevy is bringing back the Colorado/Canyon with a baby Duramax in late 2015.  Rumored 35mpg.  Would take some getting used to such a little truck but wow would that be nice.  Had a few early Duramax trucks and they were strong trucks.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:15 PM »
Just out of curiosity, why are you getting rid of the 5.9?

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Quote: "It is a 2012 F150 XLT Super Crew with the 5.0 ecoboost engine."

Hmmm..........Have not heard of a 5.0 Ecoboost engine. The 5.0 is a V-8, while the Ecoboost is a V-6. Rumor does have it though, that Ford is working on a single/twin turbo 5.0 Ecoboost for the Mustang & Raptor to be released in 2015.

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why are you getting rid of the 5.9?

Dumping the lifted 5.9 because as a daily driver its operating cost is too high to run the highway empty.  Anyone who has owned a diesel will tell you that if they are honest with themselves.  With little ones I would rather spend that money on them or have extra ice fishing gas money ;D

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:14 AM »
My bad, it says "Flexfuel" on the back not ecoboost. It is the 5.0 8 cylinder (the little green leaf badge).

Towing the big trailer loaded with two 4 wheelers ice gear I get about 14 to 15 mpg. On the highway not towing anything I can get 19, more if I go 55mph but what fun is that. Back and forth to work (16 miles each way and very hilly terrain) I get 16 mpg which I am happy with considering it is a full size truck.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2014, 01:17 PM »
My bad, it says "Flexfuel" on the back not ecoboost. It is the 5.0 8 cylinder (the little green leaf badge).

Towing the big trailer loaded with two 4 wheelers ice gear I get about 14 to 15 mpg. On the highway not towing anything I can get 19, more if I go 55mph but what fun is that. Back and forth to work (16 miles each way and very hilly terrain) I get 16 mpg which I am happy with considering it is a full size truck.

That's the engine I wished I WOULD have ordered.  Start's to get confusing, doesn't it?  ::)

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2014, 03:20 PM »
It does get confusing, I agree.

My buddy had the triton 5.4 and had the same complaint on the mileage

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2014, 03:41 PM »
It does get confusing, I agree.

My buddy had the triton 5.4 and had the same complaint on the mileage

That's why it's named the HAWG.   ;D

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:33 PM »
For what its worth to you but it seems you have your mind set on two nice trucks already............... ...used to drive a 2007 Ford F350 Lariat dually with the diesel. It towed a three horse sleeper trailer with ease. After a few years of the horse thing slowing down we decided to downsize after the Ford had to go through some major work due to engine issues all that were covered under warranty. The truck never was the same after that. It sounded different, ran different, etc. The dealer said "it was fine". So we ditched it for a Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ with the full two doors and short bed. It has been awesome thus far. Comes with all the bells and whistles I could ever want, has a built in factory trailer brake system, autostart, etc, etc. Its a sweet truck but hasn't been put under any towing conditions yet and certainly isn't big enough to haul the horse stuff. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the trucks out there these days. They are all pretty dam nice these days. Personal opinion and nothing more should be in effect here. This is your ride. It will be a part of your life for the next 2, 5, 10, 20 years?

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:02 AM »
That's why it's named the HAWG.   ;D

(Image removed from quote.)

Ooo! Shiny!  ;D ;D

My truck is supposed to be gray in color but right now it is white from road salt and with the cold temps it ain't gettin' a bath for a while yet :o

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:42 AM »
Can't beat that hand-waxed Meguiar's look!!!  Just leaves your arm limp.  ;D

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Here is my baby that I'm putting up for adoption :'(  She normally has a matching camper shell on but I was out cutting wood.
I think I am going with the F150 5.0.  Its the best deal and seems to get the best mpg out of the two I've narrowed down.  That and I gotta believe parts and what not will be cheaper on a Ford vs a Toyota.  Hope I can get the mpg's that some are claiming.  My daily drive is 16mile one way and a change in elevation of about 2500'.  So coast the whole way down and floored the whole way up...

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:34 PM »
I also have a ford f150 with the 5.0.  It has a large 136 litre tank and when traveling at 100 km/hr on the highway, got over 1200 km on a tank and that was in the heat of summer when running the a/c the whole time.  I like it. 

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Keep the cummins.

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:46 PM »
Just signed on the Ford, pick it up tomorrow.  Who needs the wheels and tires in the pic, fiberglass topper lid, or Edge setup?  I might sleep in it tonight one last time...
This will be my first Ford hope it lives up to the number one selling truck.

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:37 PM »
In my opinion every truck will have issues, no one automaker builds "The Best Truck". The biggest thing you will notice is the improved ride. Welcome to The Ford Family.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2014, 10:16 PM »
Keep the cummins.
+1. I would never go back to a Ford after owning a CTD.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:11 PM »
X2, the older Cummins up to the last 5.9's without all the pollution junk are what people pay good for.

Offline northernfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:47 PM »
I love my F-150, hard to beat the eco-boost, lots of power and good mpg.  They are a good looking ride too

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2014, 04:09 AM »
I have a 2012 F150 XLT with the 5.0 and I love it! I get 21-23 on the highway... 18-19 daily driving.. 14 mpg pulling my 18 ft boat. Tons of power too.

I made the mistake of going from a ford to a Nissan titan.. Well I traded in the titan after 6 months and bought the 2012 F150 and will never look back..
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.