Author Topic: Will a southern style airboat work on ice?  (Read 4737 times)

Offline BlackRhino

• IceShanty Rookie
Will a southern style airboat work on ice?
« on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:03 AM »
It seems like there are plenty of "summer" or "southern" airboats available out there, would these work on ice just as well. What mods would need to be done (if any)?

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
Re: Will a southern style airboat work on ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:11 AM »
They are becoming popular with the Fire/Rescue sector for ice rescue so why not? They are loud to run but bet you could ste off a few WIND flag's. ;D

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:09 PM »
Hell yes they work.  Saginaw Bay and Lake Erie have numerous ones working the area....work great....who worries about skinny ice.....just cruise right over it.......

Lot of charter boat captains are running ice fishing charters from them in that area.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2010, 01:59 PM »
Is there any situation where an airboat ISN'T the best way to get around on a lake?  ;D
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:03 PM »
Other than unloading and loading on a trailer, sounds great! I'm sure it can be done safe enough. I could see where loading would be easy, line her up and drop the hammer ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline BlackRhino

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:27 PM »
Hell yes they work.  Saginaw Bay and Lake Erie have numerous ones working the area....work great....who worries about skinny ice.....just cruise right over it.......

Lot of charter boat captains are running ice fishing charters from them in that area.

Thats exactly where I want to use it. I am about ready to dump this Rhino and enclosed trailer for an airboat. At least I would be sitting at home right now typing on this damn computer....

My only fear with those is losing the fear of the bay. That is going out 5-7 miles, fishing all day and then finding out the dang thing dont start. Then your screwed bigger than anything.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:34 PM »
You to you tube and watch all the videos you can about them. I did this summer thinking about the upcoming ice season. If I had the dough I'd get one. The Ice versions have thicker alluminum though than the regular southern ones but can be used as long as your conscience about jagged ice and the speed you hit it at.

Offline BlackRhino

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:38 PM »
I think I Youtubed everyone of them. Your right, take it easy on the ice chunks and they should be alright. The ice versions are big bucks.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:05 AM »
NY DEC uses them summer and winter as does the local Fire Dept's...they do make a lot of noise...but seem to be the best for early and late ice if Fire Dept needs to do a rescue....hunts2long
Northville, NY

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Is there any situation where an airboat ISN'T the best way to get around on a lake?  ;D
I would say when I have my 10gauge double with me and you blow my tip-up to hell and back :roflmao:

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2010, 04:27 PM »
Unless it's a windlass tip-up, then you'd thank me for the speed jigging  ;D
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

DennyB

« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:16 AM »
I would say when I have my 10gauge double with me and you blow my tip-up to hell and back :roflmao:

Duck season......unless you have a good muffler and you don't run over someone in a blind in the cattails. :o

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:27 AM »
Air boats rule! Unfortunatly one of our local rescue crews acquired one. Their inexperience drowned a lady and worse part was she could have been rescued with a canoe. She had a broken ankle and was waiting on the dock, so some idiot could prove the need for an air boat, from over 20 miles away! 2MILES FROM OUR LOCAL RESCUE.  :%$#!:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline ***WaterWolf***

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:11 AM »
They work great on ice!  However they are not like operating any other piece of equipment.  They can be pretty squirly on the ice and when you stop its a good idea to block it up so that it doesn't freeze down to the ice.  But no worries about skinny ice. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.