Author Topic: Help getting atv going again  (Read 5588 times)

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Help getting atv going again
« on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:45 AM »
I have a 2003 Kawasaki Bayou 250 that was leaking some gas from the overflow. Got the recommendation to tear down the carb and clean it and adjust the float. I did that and couldn't get it back to starting at all. Seemed like it wasn't getting gas. I took it back apart and adjusted the float back up, put it back on and dinked with it some more and now it will start but die. The only place I can get it to start at is with the pilot jet turned 3 turns out. On this carb the pilot jet controls fuel, so theoretically that is pretty rich since the factory default calls for 1.5 turns out, but I can't get it to start at any more turned in. What happens now is it will start then run for about 30 seconds a minute at most and die. Once it dies you can't get it back going. If I pull the sparkplug after it dies the plug is dry fouled (covered in dry black soot). I clean the plug, pop it back in, and bam it starts right back up, runs 30 seconds, dies, dry fouled plug, repeat. I know dry fouling is supposed to mean too rich, but would a rich mix really kill it that fast? Anything else I should be checking. Should I try to lower the float again?

Offline bonez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't fishin' or huntin' you ain't living!!
Re: Help getting atv going again
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:52 AM »
Your needle jet thats hooked to your float should be closed when your float is level.If it's closed before its level your probably not getting enough gas.
Harold Jr.       

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:56 AM »
Put a new plug in, they're cheap, and it's never worth the time to clean an old one. Set the carb back up to factory specs, including float height and any adjusting screws. You might have to find a buddy, check the internet for a copy or call a dealer/mechanic and see if they'll give you the settings out of the manual.

Most of the time when you have fuel leaking out the overflow, it's a piece of gunk got stuck in the inlet needle, holding it open, not the float getting knocked out of adjustment. Make sure there are no other pieces that got lodged in any of the jets and passageways. If the bike still won't start and stay running, you may need to adjust the valves, or it could be a weak ignition coil.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2010, 12:11 PM »
I have had problems with the "rubber tipped" needle valve on both of my carb equipped atv's One is a 99 prarie and my 02 griz. the ethenol in the gas eats em up.I had the over flow gas leak on both machine's  I ended up replacing the needle in both. Yamaha told me that there was an updated version. Sounds like you still have some junk in the carb somewhere or maybe water even.

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2010, 02:29 PM »
I plan to put in a new plug once I get the carb mystery worked out. Since it refouls the plug within 30 seconds everytime I don't really feel like waisting brand new plugs each time I try a carb tweak. I've got a bench grinding wheel with a wire brush attachment that makes cleaning the plug pretty easy.

Thanks for all the things to check, about to start rolling through trying everything right now.

Offline hunter13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:50 PM »
we have a Bayou 300   that did the same thing and it was the neddle valve the rubber tip was all our of shape so we replaced it  and bingo  back running like a champ  so i would go with replaceing the needle valve 

hunter13

"Grab your rod and git-r-done!"  VERMONT

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:05 PM »
The float valve on this model is metal tipped, or at least the one in mine is. Spent all afternoon/night trying to get it going again and complete failure. I tried the float at different levels. Adjusted the pilot screw all the way from 1/2 turn out to 3 1/2 turns out at 1/4 turn changes. I even tore it all aprt cleaned it and blew it out with compressed air again. Nada zipco zilch. I never should have messed with it in the first place. The leak was only when you let it sit overnight. It had been starting and running fine prior to my mucking with the carb. Looks like I'll have to swallow my pride, cough up some dough, and take it to soemone obviously smarter than myself at this stuff.

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2010, 06:53 AM »
I thought it would only run on 1/2 choke before you tore into the carb? Is it possible that there is a vacuum leak on the carb to engine boot.Will it run on 1/2 choke now? Seems like we are missing something simple here,it's really hard to diagnose stuff on the computer sorry. :-\

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2010, 09:47 AM »
Before I mucked with the carb it did need 1/2 choke to stay idling. I figured dirty pilot jet, which was dirty (couldn't see light through it) and is now clean (can see light through it). Now though it won't start and run at any choke setting. I've tried all the way on to all the way off at little bitty changes inbetween. I've since been told that the needing some choke wasn't that big of a deal considering how cold it has been. It's been hanging in the single digits and teens around here only occasionally bumping over the 20 mark.

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2010, 11:09 AM »
I am just gussing here based on other vehiacles that I have had that had simular pproblems after rebulding the carb.

It could be the filter is ubstructed from crap that broke loose when you boved the fuel lines.  It lets enough drip through it to get it satrted but dosen't let it flow fast enough to keep it running. Once it dies it is able to start refilling the bowl and then it will start and run agen untill it is empty.  I had one truck that needed to havet the filter replaced 5 times before it ran right after moveing the fule lines when the carb was rebuilt.  It is also possoble that you have an air bubble in the carb that is not able to escape although I would think that any carburator made in the last 50 years would be designed so that couldn't happen.

Offline atvjumpers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I think were gonna need a bigger hole !
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:34 AM »
carb is still dirty

did you buy a rebuild kit for the carb?  you should

then strip the carb down pull out needle float pilot jet ect., and soak carb for a few hours if it's really gunked up

strip a strand of wire 10 awg or 12awg to a long 6" single strand push it carefully into ports  then spray carb clean again and rebuild, at least a new needle and change gaskets if broken.

good luck 

let us know how you made out

atvjumpers

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:51 AM »
May be not getting enough air = black sout -check for obstruction in breather. Freakin mice! (maybe?) The float is set by leveling the carb body, gently in a vice etc., once the carb body is level then you set the float level (at the up position). Seems you have the rest undercontrol! Good luck.  :unsure: I generaly quick clean with either spray. It evaporates quickly and blasts out crud. Fresh high octane gas.?
90 +. Ethanol additive makes for bad friend in cold weather - moisture ?
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2010, 09:30 PM »
So.... I'm an idiot. I bribed my sister's boyfriend to come take a look at it for a case of beer (he used to work on race car engines). First thing he asked was "Did you put in a new spark plug" I said "no, but I've been cleaning it each time". He asked for the model number of the plug, picked one up on the way to my place, showed up swaped the plug hit the starter button and vroom she started and ran. He said the plug was probably giving inconsistent spark which is why it would work soemtimes but quickly foul up. I was both ticked off that I had wasted so much time because of something so simple (shoudl have listend to CMMahy) and also compeltely excited to have a working atv again. He helped me then dial in the adjustments just right. The carb cleaning in the end did it some good. It will now idle with no choke needed, and idles smoother. He suggested that I think about getting a one size bigger pilot jet based on how much we had to adjust it before it ran perfect, but I think I might take some time enjoying it before I tear it apart again  ;D

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2010, 05:40 AM »
 :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:39 AM »
LOL! Glad to hear you got it running, I had to learn the spark plug lesson the hard way as well. Now it's the first thing I change on any engine, 2 or 4 stroke. More often than not, it fixes the problem. Have fun on the ice!

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:46 AM »
Yup, my sister's boyfriend said the exact same thing about the spark plug lesson. From now on I'm actually carrying a spare plug and plug wrench in the atv's trunk just in case!

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:01 AM »
From now on I'm actually carrying a spare plug and plug wrench in the atv's trunk just in case!

Always a good idea, saved me a few times on the lake when I flooded the engine out trying to start it in the cold. If you need to remove any body panels to get at the plug, make sure you have the wrenches or screw drivers to take them off as well. Don't ask how I figured that one out.... :%$#!:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.