Author Topic: Four Wheeler do you need 4x4 for on the lake?  (Read 12692 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Four Wheeler do you need 4x4 for on the lake?
« on: Oct 03, 2009, 11:08 PM »
I'm looking at picking up a good used 4 wheeler just for pulling around my Fish trap. Since I'm in Iowa and like to fish the great lakes, I don't like to take my pickup out on the ice. To many worries for me, and the great lakes always seem to have some really thin spots of ice on it.

Last year I used a Honda 400cc foremann 4x4 and it did the job great. Even had some spots that I though I was going to get stuck in but it went through it no problem.

So, My question is does one really need a 4 wheeler with 4x4 to get around on the lake? Or will a 4 wheeler that is 2x4 be good enough for 90% of the time

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Four Wheeler do you need 4x4 for on the lake?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2009, 11:19 PM »
2x4 wheelers seem to be helpless in more than 6'' of snow. I have ridden a few, and owned one, and they were not much for winter machines. They wont steer very well either without the front wheels pulling.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2009, 05:46 AM »
Around here last year a 4x2 would have been useless most of the year due to snow cover on the ice. 4x4 with chains were getting stuck quite often. With little or no snow cover there OK.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2009, 06:27 AM »
4X4 all the way.  You get stuck once with a 4X2, or put off a trip, once, because of snow conditions, you'll be wishing you got the 4X4.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2009, 07:43 AM »
have no regrets, buy a 4x4

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2009, 08:07 AM »
No question 4x4 is the way to go.

Offline LILDILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2009, 09:25 AM »
4x4 yamaha grizzly 700 all the way
TIP-UP

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2009, 09:31 AM »
4x4 yamaha grizzly 700 all the way

With Mattracks? ???

Offline LILDILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2009, 11:35 AM »
u could put those on if you realy need it, but i dont, atleast not here in wisconsin
TIP-UP

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2009, 11:44 AM »
u could put those on if you realy need it, but i dont, atleast not here in wisconsin

I think a used snowmobile can be aquired for less than a set of Mat Tracks.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2009, 11:53 AM »
I don't have either, but what I've seen is 3 wheelers don't do very good in deeper snow, once last year on a warmer day when the snow turned into heavy wet snow, the 3 wheelers were just spinning their tires, the front tire was like a snow plow, so I would say a 2x4 quad would do the same with front tires plowing, the 4x4 quads were getting around nicely. Just my 2 cents. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2009, 01:46 PM »
I've run both out on the ice and here is my experience.

My 2x4 polaris would work well if there was about an inch of snow on the ice, otherwise if it's glare ice, you can't steer.  Once the ice gets more than 8" deep, forget it.  2x4's for the most part don't have the ground clearance to go thru snow.

My 4x4 Arctic Cat works pretty good on glare ice, even without chains or studs.  In deep snow, not so good.  Anything more than 8-10" of snow is problematic for any quad, unless it has tracks.

Where on the big lakes are you fishing?  I've driven my truck on Little Bay De Noc with no second thoughts, but it was end of January time frame, there was a good 16" of ice.  I know Green Bay doens't usually get good enough ice to drive on, but sometimes it does.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2009, 01:58 PM »
Well, here is what I found....

1989 Kawasaki KLF300-C1 Bayou 300 4x4

1-Cylinders
4-Stroke
300cc

Suggested Retail Value $1275

The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer.

I'm thinking if it is in good shape I'll get it. Anyone know if this is a good 4 wheeler or not?

Offline Rip N Lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2009, 02:06 PM »
4x4 all the way! :thumbsup:! 4x2 = Pushing :%$#!:

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Wow I didn't know Kawasaki was in the quad game in the 80's already.

My uncle has an early 90's 300 4x4 Kawasaki, it's a good machine.  It's not nearly as big as some of the 4x4's today, and odds are it has a swing arm rear axle instead of IRS, but some guys prefer those, they tow better.  I know that his little 300 manual kawasaki will out tow my 400 auto arctic cat any day.  He pulled my permanent ice shack with it (middle of summer) and that thing is pretty tongue heavy, but it handled it well.  I'm too afraid to put that thing on my arctic cat, I don't thing the IRS suspension could handle it.

He doesn't ice fish with it though so I can't speak to it's snow tackling abilities.  I do know it doesn't have very good ground clearance, all the older machines like that were built much shorter and smaller than todays machines.

But hey, if you don't fish in deep snow, by all means go for it.  Like I said earlier, all quads, unless equiped with tracks have a hard time in deep snow.

Be aware though, this Kawasaki will be smaller framed than the Foreman 400 you mentioned earlier.  It won't be the same experience riding it.

Offline LILDILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2009, 02:20 PM »
I think a used snowmobile can be aquired for less than a set of Mat Tracks.

that is true
TIP-UP

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 04, 2009, 02:30 PM »
The Bayou is a good machine I have that same year and model except its a 4x2 with a a locking differental for posi in the rear, hasent let me down. With a set of chains its not too bad. Deep snow is a slow go but it did go. Go with the 4x4 and you will be happy. What I do like about the Bayou is it has both electic start & Recoil start.
Bob P.

Offline LILDILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 04, 2009, 02:47 PM »
you could probably pick up a yamaha big bear 350 4x4 for a pretty cheap price, i have one of those and it is a solid machine... as are all yamahas
TIP-UP

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 04, 2009, 04:40 PM »
No doubt in my mind.....4x4...

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #19 on: Oct 04, 2009, 05:04 PM »
i would say hold out for a yamaha but thats just personal preference, but my bro has that exact wheeler and let me tell you that thing will go anywhere there like little tanks if its in good shape buy it up

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 04, 2009, 06:26 PM »
As long as your doing it go for the 4x4 and I probably wouldn't get one any smaller than the one you used last year.  Remember the wind blows and the snow flows up at the IGL.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Oct 04, 2009, 06:46 PM »
Kawi's are good machines, my cuz has one about that old and it just keeps going despite what he does to it. :)

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 04, 2009, 07:22 PM »
I'm looking at picking up a good used 4 wheeler just for pulling around my Fish trap. Since I'm in Iowa and like to fish the great lakes, I don't like to take my pickup out on the ice. To many worries for me, and the great lakes always seem to have some really thin spots of ice on it.

Last year I used a Honda 400cc foremann 4x4 and it did the job great. Even had some spots that I though I was going to get stuck in but it went through it no problem.

So, My question is does one really need a 4 wheeler with 4x4 to get around on the lake? Or will a 4 wheeler that is 2x4 be good enough for 90% of the time

You don't need a 4X4 if you own a big scoop shovel and like to use it.;-)

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 04, 2009, 07:28 PM »
i would say hold out for a yamaha but thats just personal preference, but my bro has that exact wheeler and let me tell you that thing will go anywhere there like little tanks if its in good shape buy it up

Thanks, I just wanted to know if it was a good wheeler or not. Quite a few years back, my uncle had bought an artic cat 4 wheeler, and my cousin had a Honda foreman. The artic cat was crap. It was belt driven and the belt always would slip when going up anything remotely steep. The honda was good though. Good to know this kawasaki is a good machine.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2009, 07:35 PM »
Don't be afraid of belt driven machines. Your uncle probably just needed to replace his belt, it is routine maintenance like on a snowmobile.

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #25 on: Oct 04, 2009, 08:59 PM »
I have a 88 Bayou 4x2, let me tell you they are one heck of a machine. I would still be using it on the ice except now I have a 4x4 so the Kawasaki stays up at deer camp.

Joe

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #26 on: Oct 05, 2009, 07:35 AM »
While I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a 4x4....I've had a 4x2 (with chains) on the ice several times and blazed my own trail through a good 6-8 inches of snow.  I continued to suprise myself  by not getting stuck.  I weigh a solid 250lbs so that may have helped.  And keep in mind that most of the time you can follow a snowmobile trail or another ATV trail...
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #27 on: Oct 05, 2009, 08:44 AM »
I agree with the following a trail idea. I also run only a two wheel drive four wheeler. I would like to go where ever I choose. But the price keeps me from buying the machines I want. Holding out for a snobear or 4 wheeler with tracks. If you can afford the 4X4 then buy one. Of course its better, that's why they cost more, then you can make a trail for me ;D ::) :o
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #28 on: Oct 05, 2009, 11:11 AM »
I would have got stuck a lot last year if not for 4x4

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 05, 2009, 04:41 PM »
I would have got stuck a lot last year if not for 4x4

Agreed.  I had to get off and shovel myself out of a snowdrift I didn't see well enough at night last year and that was early, mid december.....

2x4 would have been a death sentence here last year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.