Author Topic: Should I screw my boots?  (Read 23523 times)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Should I screw my boots?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 10, 2009, 08:41 PM »
I blame it on Mud. ;) Good stuff man.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 10, 2009, 08:57 PM »
We are now looking up at the intellectual gutter guys. :woot:
You do have me thinking about some snowmobile studs in my boots now though. A little gasket goo around them (the grey stuff) so they don't leak(or shoe goo). A heated up bolt or rod does make a nonfraying hole through rubber!

Offline Sgt. Pepper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 10, 2009, 10:24 PM »
i put the screws in my boots last year. i was a little nervous putting holes in my very expensive and very waterproof boots. i can tell you that any anexity that you have will be lifted once you walk on bare ice. 

the only problem i had was that i did not put enough screws in the first time. so, i put a screw into every nub on the bottom.

no problem. screw away.
forever in debt for your priceless advice

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 11, 2009, 11:42 PM »
I love the seats, they were one of the selling points for me. I am 6'1'' and weigh between 230 and 250 depending on how many cheeseburgers I eat. My best fishing partner is around 6'2'' and he goes about 215 to 220 and he has no complaints either. They are just like a nice padded boat seat, maybe yours are different.

It is settled, I am screwing my boots. Don't tell my wife....... she may get upset........ about her floors. ;)

yeah mine gotta be different im 6'5 265 and even my scrawny buddys sey it is uncomfortable.....mine just have a 1/2 inch square of foam for the seat

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Nov 12, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Screw it....just do it!

You'll never go back ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 12, 2009, 09:15 PM »
I have a pair of pac boots I use just for ice fishing.  I could not find big enough grippers for the boots so I just used 8MM steel hex heads.

It was the best thing I ever did.  No more worrying about a gripper coming off in the snow and it is much more comfortable.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #36 on: Nov 13, 2009, 06:57 AM »
No more worrying about a gripper coming off in the snow and it is much more comfortable.

And - that's what it's all about - COMFORT on the ice. ;D :icefish:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Nov 15, 2009, 06:12 PM »
I think I used enough. ;D

Offline NH Fishin Fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 15, 2009, 06:25 PM »
I wear a size 15 and yak trax work fine for me....yea they fall off when wrestling my son to the ice on the race to the flag, but i usually beat him there!  ;D

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 15, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Very nice Skipper! I was looking at boots yesterday with lugs and didn't buy any cause I wasn't sure if I could screw em.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Nov 15, 2009, 06:31 PM »
The deed is done and there is no going back. I put a whole lotta screws in those boots! I used my cordless drill with a magnetic hex screw bit. My drill has a tourqe adjustment so I set it on the lightest to prevent stripping.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #41 on: Nov 15, 2009, 07:37 PM »
You will not regret it ------- unless you walk into your house while your woman watches  ;D
You are going to like those boots Skipper.

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
« Reply #42 on: Nov 19, 2009, 06:51 AM »
I've always fished where there's a ton of snow and never had the slipping issue (except when I was a youngster but its fun to fall when you're little) now you guys have me worried/thinking! ???

I think the sheet metal screws will work good, we set up some sport quads in High school with sheet metal screw "studs" and had a good time out on the hard water

-Bob

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Nov 22, 2009, 02:53 PM »
Cleats worked OK but they were terribly uncomfortable and caused cramps in my feet. Also, if I tightened the straps enough to keep from losing them, it affected the circulation in my feet.

Screws are just the best there is for comfort and a natural stride. I've only had problems one time. 5" of fresh, wet snow on black ice. Nothing would have worked there. I change them every year. Costs me $3.00.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:22 PM »
Will the screw holes wear out after changing them a few times though?
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 22, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Will the screw holes wear out after changing them a few times though?

That's what I would like to know. Also, how long should the screws be before they go through the sole of your boot and into your foot?
jbird68

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #46 on: Nov 22, 2009, 07:24 PM »
I put screws in my brand new pair the other night.  I haven't even worn them once yet!

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #47 on: Nov 23, 2009, 07:42 AM »
I think if you purchased ice racing screws for a motorcycle or A.T.V. you would not have to replace them (only if they came out) the heads on ice screws  are cut for a  better bite on the ice.

Should have mentioned no driving with those boots on they stick to the gas peddle. :o

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 25, 2009, 12:17 PM »
I was going to try these this season: http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=58247&cat=2,51676

They're from Lee Valley, great company here in Canada, that is generlaly geared to woodworking and such, but that has interesting odds and ends including in this case, ice grippers for boots. The XL sizes are rated to a size 16 boot fyi, and Lee Valley has a great returns policy if you need to return an item.

Best,

Chris

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #49 on: Nov 25, 2009, 12:41 PM »
I was going to try these this season: http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=58247&cat=2,51676

They're from Lee Valley, great company here in Canada, that is generlaly geared to woodworking and such, but that has interesting odds and ends including in this case, ice grippers for boots. The XL sizes are rated to a size 16 boot fyi, and Lee Valley has a great returns policy if you need to return an item.

Best,

Chris
I would say, the biggest issue with those will be "keeping them on your boots/shoes".  One of the things us ice-fishers do is to be "rough" on our footware, by nature.

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Nov 25, 2009, 03:58 PM »
I agree that they might slide around. But, I have a pair of insulated Alpha Cross hunting boots, which are a combo of rubber and neoprene. I'll try the grippers over the boots before buying, but I would think that the rubber grippers on neoprene na drubber boots would make for a pretty grippy combo. I'll have to wait for hard water to make a proper report........

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 27, 2009, 05:19 PM »
Picked up some screws today! ;D

Offline thornapple

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mid-michigan
« Reply #52 on: Nov 27, 2009, 05:29 PM »
Dang that was fast Mud I just seen ya an hour ago and the screws were still in the bag. I just got done installing the Rapid Pole Slide Clips on my Pro.

Offline Youcanttuna Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Nov 27, 2009, 05:33 PM »
The motorcycle screws are hard, I don't think you would ever wear them out. Another racing tip, put a drop of superglue on the threads before running them in. Keeps em in place.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 27, 2009, 05:34 PM »
Dang that was fast Mud I just seen ya an hour ago and the screws were still in the bag. I just got done installing the Rapid Pole Slide Clips on my Pro.
I had know if they'd work or not! ;D Those RPS clips are awsome aren't they! I'll work on mine tommorrow! It's beverage time!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #55 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:03 AM »
That's what I would like to know. Also, how long should the screws be before they go through the sole of your boot and into your foot?

Just look for the red indicater fluid to start seeping through the bottom of the boot when you're walking. If you do see red, just back them off a half a turn ...

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #56 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Just look for the red indicater fluid to start seeping through the bottom of the boot when you're walking. If you do see red, just back them off a half a turn ...

:tipup:
NBG
  :woot::roflmao: :roflmao: :clap: :clap: :flex: :flex:

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 11, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Another boot screwer here!   :woot:

Offline crappie_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 11, 2009, 01:12 PM »
Only screw 'em if you love'em. :roflmao: Can't believe someone hasn't broken that one out.
Every man is perceived a wise man, until they speak

Offline richard_2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 22, 2010, 08:31 AM »
I love my ice studs for my boots, bought the smaller one [11mm] at www.maxigripstore.com this year and will never look back.  Should have done that a long time ago.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.