Author Topic: How much backing line do I need for Atlantic salmon?  (Read 7333 times)

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
How much backing line do I need for Atlantic salmon?
« on: Jan 07, 2008, 03:19 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I am going to be fishing for broodstock Atlantic salmon and is curious about how much line do you need for them. The fish sizes will range from 8-15lbs maybe a few pushing in the 20's. Just to be on the safe side how much do I need?

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How much backing line do I need for Atlantic salmon?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:06 PM »
 :D   fill your spool

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:11 PM »
In my limited experiance ..... fill it up, cause man do they run... and don't put your tip-ups close cause they will run and tangle them ALL up too!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2008, 02:50 PM »
Probably more line than you have. I've seen 4-5lb LL Salmon run 80 yards in under a minute...I think a 15 lb fish would just rip!

Would be a lot of fun though. 8)

-Wes

Offline BigCougar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2009, 12:37 AM »
I am going to be fishing for broodstock Atlantic salmon and is curious about how much line do you need for them.

Never fished for them through the ice, but the amount of line will depend on the Lb test you want to use.  If you spool 10Lb-12Lb line, you should be able to stop a fish in the first 100m.   With a 8Lb, I would say 150m-200m will still be plenty.
Your drag should be set right and the knots better be good.

Offline TheBigPickerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Use a heavier leader, and you won't need much backing,  that's my plan.  I've let fish like large trout run a little and they've broke off or gotten tangled in a dock 30 yards away.  I like to just haul 'em in with heavy tackle.  I've only caught two salmon one at 5 pounds and the other a little bigger, so I'm no pro.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.