Author Topic: Ice Electronics Question  (Read 1323 times)

Offline theskydiveguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Electronics Question
« on: Jul 22, 2021, 03:47 PM »
I realize this question has been asked to death - but I am going to ask anyway!

I have an LX7 which I like. However it has no mapping. This upcoming season I will be mobile (bought a snowmachine). I think I would like mapping on a unit that I would mount to my snowmachine while travelling. I currently use Navionics on my phone.

I previously used a Helix 5 and it was ok - but small.

The boss also ok'd a tin fishing boat in the next year or so, but COVID pricing is holding me back for the next little bit. But is going to happen eventually (probably fall).

I love the idea of Garmin for the mapping and would love a 9" screen with the option of maybe one day upgrading to Panoptics. However Garmin is much more expensive than Hummingbird.

So I am looking for some wisdom from you all on what an ideal setup might be? I can't afford Panoptics at this moment. But could swing a new finder. There is still enough value in my LX7 that I can offset this new cost as well. Budget is $1500ish.

Thanks
Ice fishing is better than open water - change my mind!

Insta -  @smittyoutside
Tiktok - @smittyoutside

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Electronics Question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2021, 04:10 PM »
I would find a nice mount for your phone to use while driving. If you are clever, there are phone holders on EBAY that are for mounting a phone on a tripod for a few bucks- put the $1500 into Panoptix or the newer similar offering from others for fishing. If your phone battery is old, it will be affected by the cold, keep that in mind. I thought my battery was going down really fast before I realized that it was just old, and needed replaced.

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2021, 06:50 PM »
I'm a Lowrance man myself but since you mentioned Garmin I will throw this out there. You could get an Echomap UHD 93SV which would work with Panoptics if you decide to upgrade later. You also said you were planning on a boat down the road so it could be used on that as well. They run a little over $1000 with a transducer (for the boat), it's another $150 for an ice transducer but you could get the no transducer head unit to offset the price of the ice transducer. My opinion though is to get the boat transducer now because it will be cheaper in the long run then buying it later. If you are not stuck on a 9" and could work with a 7" you could get it for about $650. There are a lot of options out there so at least you have a little time to look around. Also to piggyback on the last post if you really like your LX7 you could just get a handheld gps to mount on the snowmobile and go that route. I'm sure you will get a lot of other options from other people as well. Good luck in your search.

Offline theskydiveguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2021, 08:59 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I appreciate it! I'm not even sure that I need a 9" - maybe I just want it .. But the 7" is almost 1/2 price here right now.

Insta -  @smittyoutside
Tiktok - @smittyoutside

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2021, 09:23 AM »
One thing about the Humminbird units you might give consideration to is the ability to pair it up with some the Minn Kota trolling motors to help steer the boat when fishing.  Garmin also has addressed that by coming out with a trolling motor of their own - not sure about Lowrance. 

FWIW, I opted to use a RAM mount to fixture the smaller Garmin 43cv on my sled for navigation that I can easily transfer to a Garmin portable carrier or to another mount on my boat.  My sled has electric start so I wired the Garmin bracket to the sled's battery via an added relay and toggle switch - allows me to power up and use the Garmin without the snowmobile running.  I went with the smaller in this case as at the time I wanted a compact device to allow me to see my other instruments and not be in the way.  Going with a 53, 63, or even the 73 probably would have been suitable.  Whichever unit you choose to go with give some thought as to how you will transport it on your sled.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2021, 09:34 AM »
In regards to the 9" vs. 7" thing.. In 2019 I upgraded my Helix 5 to 9. Don't underestimate how big and heavy a 9" unit is. I got the 9 primarily for the boat, I fish offshore quite a bit but in the winter I would use my Helix 5 with GPS on my snowmachine and inside my flip over. The 5 was mounted with a RAM mount on a RAM ToughClaw, I could move it from the handlebar of my sled to the metal hoop in my flip shanty and it would work great. With the 9" I can't use it with the ToughClaw because the unit is just too heavy. The Helix 5 is probably a lb, the 9 is easily 5 to 7lbs.

Another point worth talking about is battery consumption. The 5 with GPS and down imaging would run for an entire weekend off a 7ah lead acid. Now I have to carry much more battery. I went with a 20ah lithium unit and if I'm running with full backlight it will barely last the full weekend. On a boat it's not much of an issue how power hungry it is, but ice fishing is a different story.

On the boat the 9" is awesome and I may even want bigger at some point. But ice fishing, I went back to using my old flasher for last year, this year I plan to get something in the 7" range for ice fishing.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2021, 10:49 AM »
X2 on the size tradeoffs- The screen power, which is almost all of a flashers power draw, goes up as the square of the screen diagonal. You need that much more battery, and the unit is bulky and heavy.

If you move around, think hard about getting the 9 inch unit "just in case"- the 7 inch Garmin can be had for under $500 at times, and mine runs all day on a smaller 18V power tool battery. It makes a good system in the boat and on the ice, but I agree a 9 inch Panoptix would be better, but that is an extra $2k I can't justify yet.

Offline theskydiveguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2021, 11:44 AM »
Im getting the size thing - thanks, it makes good sense and something I didn't think about.

I think once the perfect boat is found I'll buy something specific for it. Where weight, battery and size don't matter as much. I can always take it with me on days I can drive the truck out if I really want to. My LX7 gets the job done and I paid $400 CDN for it on the Amazon Warehouse page 2 years ago, so it's hard to get rid of!

I think my phone mounted to the sled is a good (already paid for) solution (thanks).

Thanks a-lot for your wisdom and experience as always.

Insta -  @smittyoutside
Tiktok - @smittyoutside

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2021, 11:56 AM »
Another option a Garmin hand held or smaller marine unit and Lake Vu chip/download ..I have an Etrex 20 that I was able to get my local lake map on to it via base camp    I also have a Echo Map 43cv which you can make maps with during the summer months..then add it to your ATV/Snowmobile via Ram mounts ...you could use the EchoMap 43cv on ice with a different transducer ...lot of options from Garmin ...and various old and new technology..so do your research ..some units have a WiFi update option (which I would prefer if going for a mapping unit) . I hve yet to make the jump to a digital unit for ice ..but leaning toward Garmin Livescope .But not ready to put that much cash into another technology .

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/125128

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/125128#devices

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/basecamp/

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=4EZjstonT12qeq4wawBjq7

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2021, 01:43 PM »
I agree with Jethro.  Had a Helix 5 for ice and went to a Helix 7.  I love the size upgrade, it doesn't use too much battery, still portable and it does all I need.  I don't need a big honking battery, etc...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2021, 02:51 PM »
Here is an interesting battery run time chart for various Garmins

https://ampedoutdoors.com/pages/garmin%C2%AE

or other makes if you prefer

https://ampedoutdoors.com/collections/lifepo4-battery
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline theskydiveguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2021, 03:37 PM »
This is awesome thanks!

I used to have a helix 5 - I'm liking the weight and price point of the 7.

The Garmin is nice - but if I buy Panopitcs the divorce will cost me more :)

Now to wait out a sale or promo.

Here is an interesting battery run time chart for various Garmins

https://ampedoutdoors.com/pages/garmin%C2%AE

or other makes if you prefer

https://ampedoutdoors.com/collections/lifepo4-battery

Insta -  @smittyoutside
Tiktok - @smittyoutside

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jul 23, 2021, 03:50 PM »
This is awesome thanks!

I used to have a helix 5 - I'm liking the weight and price point of the 7.

The Garmin is nice - but if I buy Panopitcs the divorce will cost me more :)

Now to wait out a sale or promo.

Do  your research ..but be warned your head will explode ...my advice is buy something that can expand up/down ..with all transducers and technology ...I know some Garmins are at a nice price point but you will not be able to use it with the Panoptics ...some models wont let you add or upgrade/make maps etc ...I am sure Hummigbirds are very similar with their units as well.. Like pointed out above ...you may be able to get a boat unit set up with a boat transducer and then get a pack and transducer laterfor ice or vice versa ...gonna have to shop around to piece it together to get a deal ...some folks have put them on blue Genz boxes ...may be awkward . I do like a nice round case with a bag ..as a bucket is a good to safely transport.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.